Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 26 Jan 2015 23:54 #1

• yachtman
  • yachtman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
So last week I took a screen shot of my 3000th post.

Now today I see my post count is this.

So what gives? Not that it really even matters. After all I lost a thousand or so over the years changing forum after forum after forum.

I still get those stupid emails about some balloons and I still can go back to page one. I often get logged off in the middle of posts and I often more so lately get logged out and the keep me logged in button doesn't work.
Sorry but the new forum really sucks the big one. What else can I say. I will bet $100 I'm not the only one that feels that way.

what ever I give up its like working on a forum from 20 years ago.
:( :( :(

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dpeery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:00 #2

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
Suck it up and enjoy the extra Thank You votes you got. That is all that matters.
Keep giving to keep it going, nothing is perfect, except Amazon.

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:11 #3

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

talman wrote: Suck it up and enjoy the extra Thank You votes you got. That is all that matters.

Oh so I'm not being greatful engough? Lol I'll try to do better.
actually I had like some 3010-20 posts so I lost 40 some posts. But I'm loving it. :)

Twin chevy 350's

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:28 #4

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
Might not pertain to you Yachtman but certain posts get deleted. And when they do it reduces the post count.
Posts to sales that have long past, Some boats that were sold long ago, questions that have never had any answers... You get the idea.
Also, if you had multiple postings like Dive guy had in the other thread.
These are removed to help save space.

No idea about the extra thank yous except someone like you... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskywizard

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."
Last Edit: by Alaskanmutt.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:31 #5

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116

yachtman wrote:

talman wrote: Suck it up and enjoy the extra Thank You votes you got. That is all that matters.

Oh so I'm not being greatful engough? Lol I'll try to do better.
actually I had like some 3010-20 posts so I lost 40 some posts. But I'm loving it. :)

So they way things work, just so your aware, is that as the number of posts grow it increases the size of the files and database which costs additional funds. In an effort to keep those costs to a reasonable level topics are pruned every once in a while and topics that have little or no value, or replies that make little or no sense are deleted.
Not saying that you have made a lot of low value or nonsensical replies but those pruning activities will affect the size of your post count. And everyone knows that size is everything. :evil:
As for why some people complain about a site that is free and run by volunteers who donate an inordinate amount of their time to help other boaters. I would assume they are either ungrateful or just don't have anything better to do with their time :) But that would just be a guess on my part. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:38 #6

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alaskanmutt wrote: Might not pertain to you Yachtman but certain posts get deleted. And when they do it reduces the post count.
Posts to sales that have long past, Some boats that were sold long ago, questions that have never had any answers... You get the idea.

Those aren't extra thank yous. Those were thank yous I got when I had up to 3020 posts. I make good.helpful posts.I get thank yous.

It makes me wonder what is being deleted because I never post to boats for sale and posts that really don't get other posts. So more than 1% of everyone's posts get deleted every few months? What good are post counts then? They are meaningless.

The fact that it didn't used to be like it is now and that it generally has not been like this before is proof that it's possible that a decent forum can be had.

To say I'm complaining because I'm ungrateful is not true. I'm pointing out some observations and before and after experiences.

Twin chevy 350's

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:39 #7

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253
I clean up periodically, removing low-value and out-of-date threads. A couple of days ago I completed a major clean up, deleting several thousands of these low-value and out-of-date threads. Numerous members will see a drop in their post counts. Any member who has the sole goal of driving up a personal post count will be perpetually disappointed here and should look for another way to see their prose in print.

I can't do much about the balloon fest emails. I understand that you are bothered by a few stray emails from that event over a span of 72h. It was an unfortunate glitch that neither I nor anyone else seems able to explain. For perspective, I received >8000 of those emails on my laptop, and a further 8000+ on each of 2 iPads and on my phone. I enjoyed it even less than you did.

The issue around returning to page 1 - I have a tentative solution but have been reluctant to implement it. It means making numerous changes to various lines of code in the base software. An error has significant consequence. I will do it when I am certain I'm not going to make things worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Tomamichel

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:49 #8

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

whiskywizard wrote:

yachtman wrote: What good are post counts then? They are meaningless.

Exactly.

But to be very clear, those who saw the greatest drop in their post counts either make mostly low-value posts or posted into a topic that is no longer timely. For example, talking about a 2010 boat show, or asking for help in 2009 and having no replies, or posting a photo whose link is long-since dead.

You mean like making various duplicate posts :)

Twin chevy 350's

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 00:55 #9

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Further clarification ... this is a low-value thread that will be deleted in a year or two, maybe less. Watch for a drop in your post count
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saintjon

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 01:05 #10

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358
The number of post do not impress me, including my own, to me it is the thank you"s that mean something, even then it is not something I expect.
I enjoy helping, does not matter if it is boating or whatever, it is what I do, and what I have always done.
Someone taught me, and I do a lot of research, no sense letting it go to waste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saintjon, Dadrock33

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
Last Edit: by boatworkfl.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 01:10 #11

• LazyCrusr
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
You said it yourself: " What good are post counts then? They are meaningless."

Yes, at a certain point they are and they could be considered meaningless! :whistle:
Sure if someone has 25 posts and someone else has 2500 you are going to consider that an important difference. Who cares if it really should be 2800?

Anyway, yep the site IS quirky. Try this browser it works just about perfectly w the site.
www.palemoon.org/
Just like Mozilla Firefox but faster w a much nicer icon :P
You can thank me later ;)

All good,,,,,,,over n out :)

oh yea, I just saw that I have 3500 posts. hhhmmmm, probably 10 or 12 had any value as info and were just me pleading for help from you guys :whistle:

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'2006 Bayliner 195 Classic Bowider/COLOR]
Unnamed!
Alpha Drive 3.0 Merc 135 HP
Last Edit: by LazyCrusr.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 01:48 #12

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
What about completed project threads or threads still in the trying to get to completed phase. Will those eventually go? :pinch: :(

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 01:54 #13

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Nope, they have extreme value (well except for maybe one that shows changing a lightbulb....)
Just like the Mugshots section. Most are a post with no answers, but they stay.

But it would be nice that people check their completed projects when they use a sites to host the pics. It is kinda useless to have a whole thread of pics where the pics become unavailable (like what photobucket does some times)

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 02:06 #14

• baylineguy
  • Thank you received: 18
Good for you Yachtman that you have 3000 or so posts and 60 something thankyou'z to go with it. I only have a tiny fraction of that but I really appreciate the work and effort that is put in by the "unpaid" administrators of this site and it's been very helpful to me over the years.

If you want to see frustration, go to the state/federal healthcare.gov sites and see how screwed up they are after spending well over 1 billion of $$$ to get them up and running and they're still all messed up.

1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 02:42 #15

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810

Alaskanmutt wrote: Nope, they have extreme value (well except for maybe one that shows changing a lightbulb....)

But it would be nice that people check their completed projects when they use a sites to host the pics. It is kinda useless to have a whole thread of pics where the pics become unavailable (like what photobucket does some times)

Good to know, so uploading the pics directly to the BOC thread is preferred then? Keeps them there forever? I guess I've been doing it that way cause I don't know of any other way to do it :lol:

Don't know how much space it would save, but there's 100+ pages of "No Replies" :whistle:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 02:57 #16

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

builderdude wrote:

Alaskanmutt wrote: Nope, they have extreme value (well except for maybe one that shows changing a lightbulb....)

Good to know, so uploading the pics directly to the BOC thread is preferred then? Keeps them there forever? I guess I've been doing it that way cause I don't know of any other way to do it :lol:

Don't know how much space it would save, but there's 100+ pages of "No Replies" :whistle:

Many of those need to be kept. They need a one-by-one check before deleting, much more effort.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 04:03 #17

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
And THAT is why us mods and admin get paid the big bucks.

Boatless at this time

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 04:35 #18

• Back2Water
  • Thank you received: 19
I anticipate most people know this, but to address the 'return to page 1' issue I have just been selecting a certain time period to have the system filter the posts. Up near the top there is a drop down that allows you to select how far back you want the posts to load. If you just select a more recent tiemframe than "All", like "4 hours" you should be able to get back to the earlier pages.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

David W. PDX, OR
2002 Bayliner 2452XE Ciera
5.0L Mercruiser (carbed) w/ A1 gen 2 drive
(14.5"x15" 4-blade Solas Aluminum Prop)
1984 2070 Explorer w/ Alaskan Bulkhead (SOLD)

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 05:36 #19

• unclejerky
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
Somebody didn't get their cookies and milk :silly:

Juan Roberto, Macho Man.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 07:51 #20

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
It's Sarah's fault, she gets 5000+ replies per post. Beauty and fame have their downsides... :P

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 12:42 #21

• diveguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Thank you received: 167

Alaskanmutt wrote: Might not pertain to you Yachtman but certain posts get deleted. And when they do it reduces the post count.

Oh no! I've been made an example. Sorry about all those posts. It was not an attempt to crank up my post counter. I was trying to attach pic from my BlackBerry and was taking along time and I kept hitting send. :blush:

Again, sorry everyone.

"Martini's Law"
1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
Nova Scotia, Canada

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 14:06 #22

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
To me I find it difficult to believe that someone can delete 1000's of posts and not loose any good content. Sorry but as fast as they are being deleted they can't have been read to determine their value.

Makes one question the value of posting at all.

Twin chevy 350's

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 14:14 #23

• Four Pyrates
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145

yachtman wrote: To me I find it difficult to believe that someone can delete 1000's of posts and not loose any good content. Sorry but as fast as they are being deleted they can't have been read to determine their value.

If the mods delete posts about overheating engines, risers, and timing, I AM ALL FOR IT. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 14:41 #24

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

yachtman wrote: To me I find it difficult to believe that someone can delete 1000's of posts and not loose any good content. Sorry but as fast as they are being deleted they can't have been read to determine their value.

So we should read every one of them in Dock Walk, for sale and PP forums that are over several months or years old? How about those that have no answers? Our software allows us to delete them en-mass... .There are some we do skip over... the Lazo threads, Owners threads, etc. So please don't make blanket statements that we just delete thousands of threads willy nilly... does not happen in tech, general, etc.

One more point, we as mods, do look at the threads and will contact the OP and ask if it is OK to delete their posted thread. In the vast majority of the contacts, we get permission to delete them... and no,, we don't ask in PP or Dock walk...

How about we just drop this. Let us do our job as mods and spend more time looking for useless threads (like this) and spend more time looking for bad guys and clean up the forum so we can keep costs down for the members here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskywizard, steelwrk1, Nimh, Alaskanmutt, jamie mac, Misspenny, bushwood, Sprdtyf350, Greg Tomamichel

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 17:40 #25

• MonteVista
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
I think all this discussion is indicating a need: Today, number of posts and number of thank you's received are being used as indicative of how knowledgeable, or experienced or helpful a member is so that in case of different advice given one may tilt towards the response from one member or another. Unfortunately this may be closer to judging the quality of a product by its price versus other factors. To some extent thank you to posting ratio may be used but this wrongly penalizes (the score) of those who post many times, including jokes, thank you messages, etc.

May be a new/additional count/metric can be developed but I am enjoying the forum as it is!

Keep them coming!

Retired, computer expert / executive
Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds