Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 13:04 #1

• Jack3M
  • Jack3M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
This is going to be difficult to get my point across without being specific about any one member(s).

I was a professional auto mechanic for15 years back in the days before fuel injection and electronic ignition was just coming into vogue when I left that profession and became a Paramedic for another 10 years until I got disabled on a call. My whole life has been a diagnostic sort of episode. I have learned to look for the most simple thing and rule that out, move on and rule out the next thing, and so on.

Of course a person can get so good just a description is enough to KNOW what is wrong right up front. This has held through on my two main professions. Figure out what it is not, which leaves what it could be, hopefully one or two things that may take further investigation to fully determine what is going on.

But this section of the forum has some folks that shotgun post answers, any of which could be right or wrong. Posting just to look important or to look like one knows everything is really more detrimental to the forum than help. Most folks that come to this section are not mechanics at all and believe everything and anything they are told.

Whoa folks, hold on....get that spoon of salt and chillllll. Some advice as I look back in old posts is downright dangerous and could elicit amputation of the head from the body among others. And the posts that are 'it is definitely this, but check the left and oh it could be the right, so look in the manual to see' kind of garbage.

Look posters, if you don't KNOW it is okay, but do not try to make yourself look like a flipping hero when you have no clue. Say you are not sure, but suggest. Some folks take this stuff as gospel and it really could kill someone, or worse severely maim or disable them.

Mods, if you want to ban me for this, do it, but some of the crap I have seen here is scary and I need to speak out before someone utilizes bad advice from a so called expert in (apparently) everything. All I ask is for less ego and more fact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yachtman
Under Restoration:
1984 Bayliner 2450 Ciera
AQ225D Penta 280

Washougal, WA
The topic has been locked.

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 13:32 #2

• MidnightSun
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199

Jack3M wrote: This is going to be difficult to get my point across without being specific about any one member(s).

I was a professional auto mechanic for15 years back in the days before fuel injection and electronic ignition was just coming into vogue when I left that profession and became a Paramedic for another 10 years until I got disabled on a call. My whole life has been a diagnostic sort of episode. I have learned to look for the most simple thing and rule that out, move on and rule out the next thing, and so on.

Of course a person can get so good just a description is enough to KNOW what is wrong right up front. This has held through on my two main professions. Figure out what it is not, which leaves what it could be, hopefully one or two things that may take further investigation to fully determine what is going on.

But this section of the forum has some folks that shotgun post answers, any of which could be right or wrong. Posting just to look important or to look like one knows everything is really more detrimental to the forum than help. Most folks that come to this section are not mechanics at all and believe everything and anything they are told.

Whoa folks, hold on....get that spoon of salt and chillllll. Some advice as I look back in old posts is downright dangerous and could elicit amputation of the head from the body among others. And the posts that are 'it is definitely this, but check the left and oh it could be the right, so look in the manual to see' kind of garbage.

Look posters, if you don't KNOW it is okay, but do not try to make yourself look like a flipping hero when you have no clue. Say you are not sure, but suggest. Some folks take this stuff as gospel and it really could kill someone, or worse severely maim or disable them.

Mods, if you want to ban me for this, do it, but some of the crap I have seen here is scary and I need to speak out before someone utilizes bad advice from a so called expert in (apparently) everything. All I ask is for less ego and more fact.

Nobody here would let things ride so to say if it was really a dangerous thing being suggested in fact some are so chicken $hit you think the run around with foam taped to their bodies in case they fall. :lol: This is the internet, not a paid site where you get professional certified help. We give our experiences and observations we have seen over the years nothing more. To even suggest this is gospel then you are not in the right place at all. You need to have everything done by a professional at professional prices so you can sue them if they screw up. Not trying to be smart, just realistic.

PS Please show me advice given where someone could get killed or worse, severely maim or disable them as you suggest is being done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: g-alpuche
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 13:51 #3

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215

PS Please show me advice given where someone could get killed or worse, severely maim or disable them as you suggest is being done.

Agreed, what are we talking about?
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 14:15 #4

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Let me say that yes many times those who post crap are called out but to say that it wasn't let ride is not true.

To also repost some of the crap that could get people hurt or damage their boat would be seen as attacking that person and is against the rules and would get you a ban. So in context of this thread and it's topic would be contrued as attacking. Y3s it's counter productive what can one do without boc mutiny.

I could post pages of misinfo and some is illegal and some is dangerous

Having been a Chevrolet master mechanic for more than 15 years and having worked on boats and in boat repair shops for most of my working life I can say.
I pretty much know what I'm doing . I will post controversy at times but I always try to post a disclaimer with it. Like if you do this....... don't be stupid about it......

I will agree there is some real misinformation but let the reader sort it out.

I would love to post some of the crap that shows up but it many times comes from the same handful of people. :(

PS: Im not always right and there many times is more than one way to do things. Some of it is a matter of opinion. Some is a matter only of operation some a matter of quality and money spent some is a matter of pure safety and common sense (some of wich some people have none)

The matter of opinion and operation and money let it go. Matter of safety call it out every time.
1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 15:26 #5

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553
Here's my take -

This is a crowdsourced forum. There's a lot of information here, some great, some good, some not so good.

We, as readers, have a responsibility to call out wrong or misleading information. Bayliner's demographic is first time boaters. We cannot assume that people asking questions will know exactly what they are doing, and as such, if you are posting something controversial you have an obligation to state that.

As a mod, I will step in when things get out of hand, but that also means I need to keep a cool head. This means I actively try to not get too involved in the conversation. Sometimes I don't do as well at this as I should, but that's my plan anyway.

I have heard concerns from other people about some advice being given in this forum. The key here is "disagree, state your case, and let the reader decide". We need to stop short of descending into a flame war, but we can (and SHOULD) have healthy disagreement on things.

I would like to see some posts where there was misinformation posted. If you want to PM me, feel free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskywizard
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 15:36 #6

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
I too agree. Healthy discussion is a good thing.

There is a place to have this discussion, and i don't think it's in Tech.
Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 15:52 #7

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Good discussion so far and I don think the OP will get banned...

Sometimes the OP of a new thread, because me is new or maybe because he is not sure of what is wrong with his/her boat, may not be asking the right question. Sometimes we will attempt to help based on how we read the problem... We all misread at times... As has been stated we are a big community and as such we want to help if we can...

I don't know anyone in all my years on this forum that has not made a mistaken response or has not learned something new at one time or another...

You get what you pay for...

If you think an expert is expensive, just think how much an amateur would or could cost ya.
Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 16:06 #8

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
LOL
Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 16:33 #9

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
Jack understand your concern for those of little knowledge however I do not recall any post that came close to what you expressed. Folks here typically jump in and shoot down any posts that go off track way before they reach a miss diagnosis let alone a safety factor.

Most here are not or don't have a professional background but are experienced boaters. This is the internet never believe everything you read.

Even professionals can give wrong advise from either not having the knowledge of a new technology or just a bad day.

IMO bad responses are typically given because of little or unclear data provided by OP's.
1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 16:41 #10

• Jack3M
First, I will not publicly post who/what/where such and such was said. I had to look it up, you do the same. AND that way I am not flaming anyone and breaking rules. My intent is to make people cautious about the advice they receive. Exactly, they are not professionals and not being paid for their advice. Free advice is just that. Sometimes free is awesome, sometimes not.

No intention of flaming anyone. Not even sure I should send what I consider life threatening to any of the mods. It is in plain sight in a tech post thread.

This is EXACTLY the place to post this as this is where the issue is.

I would hope folks just take the time to think about some of the bizarre suggestions I have seen.

Mod's...If you send me PM guaranteeing that what I send ya as far as a link stays private, and NO action on your part, no banning, just start watching so you can make your own determination. I don't even want the offender(s) to know. I am new to this board and don't want to make enemies, just want to learn and help when I can.
Under Restoration:
1984 Bayliner 2450 Ciera
AQ225D Penta 280

Washougal, WA

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 17:10 #11

• C300
  • Thank you received: 1
I Have Gotten Some Bad advice on "THE WEB". I have deleted more than a few Bookmarks. With all "Free Suggestions" there is a need to filter it. The lower the level of competence of a subject, the more wary you should be. if your not sure, ask questions. There's good help here and they back it up. If your life depends on it, get a pro to do it if your not sure.
Like the OP, I've been around. but don't know everything. Yes, maybe I could figure things out in time. but time is what I don't have. plus, there's lots of "been there done that" here. I really like researching jobs here. I'm all for quicker and better = easier. Saves me from saying "next time I'd do it like that"
My Two Cents, C300
1977 Bayliner 2550 Saratoga Volvo AQ225 280DP
1979 Bayliner Liberty 2150 Volvo AQ140 280
1968 15' Glastron V-153 Merc 800 Thunderbolt
16' Sidewinder, believe it's a Copy, free, no paperwork, no idea...

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 21:22 #12

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253

Jack3M wrote: This is going to be difficult to get my point across without being specific about any one member(s).

I have no idea why you'd think a valid warning warrants banning. Unless it's not valid...

Obviously, I don't read every post on this forum. You say there is info posted on the site that "is downright dangerous and could elicit amputation of the head from the body among others" but won't say where it is? That makes it difficult to take your warning seriously. If you have an issue, share it. Vague generalizations are a waste of time as we cannot act upon them.

And you should look up elicit.
Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 22:15 #13

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
The top button here can be useful ;)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 22:21 #14

• Jack3M
Builderdude....I have never noticed that. I just avoided threads with that persons comments.

I said my piece, I gave my proof of statement to WhiskeyWizard. I explained where I was coming from.

Enuff said
Under Restoration:
1984 Bayliner 2450 Ciera
AQ225D Penta 280

Washougal, WA

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 22:29 #15

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
Thats not the only button I've overlooked. They should make it red or something :lol:
Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 22:41 #16

• Johnny Vintage
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 104
OK, I'm sorry!!!

Even though I said it's OK, don't try and take your prop off with the boat running and in gear!! :woohoo:

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 23:14 #17

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323

Johnny Vintage wrote: OK, I'm sorry!!!

Even though I said it's OK, don't try and take your prop off with the boat running and in gear!! :woohoo:

But wouldn't the torque help break the frozen nut loose? :woohoo:
Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

With a whole spoon of salt, not just a grain 29 Oct 2014 23:56 #18

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

Jack3M wrote: Builderdude....I have never noticed that. I just avoided threads with that persons comments.

I said my piece, I gave my proof of statement to WhiskeyWizard. I explained where I was coming from.

Enuff said

I am going to assume (assuming being the lowest form of Knowledge) that the OP has gotten his answer as indicated above and see just some unrelated posts so, unless Mike who is the moderator of this forum wants to reopen, I will lock it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack3M
Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds