Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Let the Members Vote...

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 12:53 #1

• Gilligan
  • Gilligan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Since this is a forum for the people and by the people, let's voice our opinions on who we might like to see as the next Tech Section Moderator. Please sound off and maybe someone who wouldn't have thought about stepping up would feel inclined if enough of us cast our vote.

I don't know that he's interested, but he is beyond qualified and has served us well over many years.

I nominate Mr. Volvo himself, Rick.

Mike C.
1985 Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge :coo-
Brand New (2013) Custom Volvo Penta 7.4GL with Full closed cooling
Duo Prop and SS props:go-
Through hull exhaust with fiberglass mufflers and through hull raw water intake
35 Gal. FW Tank, 10 Gal. Holding Tank
9'6" Baltik Dinghy with Evinrude...
The topic has been locked.

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 13:22 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
" I nominate Mr. Volvo himself, Rick. "

That would be great +1
Northport NY

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 13:27 #3

• Four Pyrates
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145
I don't use Volvo stuff. :lol: :lol:

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 14:11 #4

• Gilligan
  • Gilligan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 17
...sorry to hear it

:P

Four Pyrates wrote: I don't use Volvo stuff. :lol: :lol:

Mike C.
1985 Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge :coo-
Brand New (2013) Custom Volvo Penta 7.4GL with Full closed cooling
Duo Prop and SS props:go-
Through hull exhaust with fiberglass mufflers and through hull raw water intake
35 Gal. FW Tank, 10 Gal. Holding Tank
9'6" Baltik Dinghy with Evinrude...

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 14:13 #5

• Astral Blue
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 12
Rick gets my vote!
Ed & Lindsey
Sacramento, CA
1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
Repowered with Perkins 4.108 Diesel
Volvo-Penta 280 Drive
MMSI #: 338127697

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 14:21 #6

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I'll vote rick also .
1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 20:23 #7

• nitsuj
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Does this Rick guy know a lot of technical information? Is he willing to devote tons of time to helping strangers on a forum? Going so far as to even supply his phone number?

If he'll do all that, he sounds like the type of guy we need around here and should be glad to have. I vote for him too!
Justin
Pittsburgh PA
1986 2550 Ciera (work in progress)
1967 Johnson Surfer 19', restored
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 20:30 #8

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
:lol:
Always thought Ricks posts were very informative and to the point. He knows a ton of stuff for sure but I have not seen him around lately. Perhaps he is on a vacation :whistle:
Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 20:44 #9

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253
I appreciate everyone's interest. I'll be choosing the next moderator based on his or her ability to moderate the topic.

I'm looking for an avid boater who does his/her own repairs but a high degree of technical expertise is not required. More important are good communication skills, evenhandedness, a sense of what's right and knowledge of the rules. Someone who has already earned respect around here would be nice but not mandatory. Note that the mods are already involved in the finding/choosing.

I'll let everyone know who it is as soon as I confirm it. I'm on a road trip right now, so I'm not logged in very long or very frequently. Things are happening a bit more slowly as a result.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WiredHooks
Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 20:55 #10

• nitsuj
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I still think it should be Rick, but if you guys are completely opposed to it, I'll volunteer since I meet all the criteria. Then Rick can just pull my strings and moderate the forum as a puppet regime.
Justin
Pittsburgh PA
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 22:23 #11

• Four Pyrates
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I WANT SOMEBODY NOW!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskywizard
Last Edit: by Four Pyrates.

Let the Members Vote... 25 Jul 2014 23:46 #12

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
I agree that Rick has the knowledge but I think the issues with this would continue as the other camp of folks would not be happy.

Seems like new blood is required.
1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 01:10 #13

• nitsuj
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Nauti Mike wrote: I agree that Rick has the knowledge but I think the issues with this would continue as the other camp of folks would not be happy.

There shouldn't be an other camp of users. We need to pull together. I feel like the BOC is sort of deteriorating. Seems like lots of bans, and locked threads and deleted posts lately. More drama than I've seen on any other forum I've been a part of. There's some sort of Hatfield and McCoy thing going on lately and I think it needs to get squashed. I don't know what the answer is. Some sort of airing of grievances maybe.

I've been on this site for 5ish years now. I honestly don't understand what it is about Rick that's so polarizing. It's not like he posts about god or abortion or Obama. He posts about boats. He offers good information to people that need it. If it sounds like I'm some sort of Rick booster, it's because I am. I came here as a complete stranger, and had a boat that wouldn't run. He didn't know me from Adam, but spent lots of time giving me information, sending me labeled pictures, even conversing with me on the phone. When the intermediate on my drive needed rebuilt, he did it for a price no one could beat. When I needed a shift cable, he had one in his pile of parts and sold it to me cheap. And he did this all after folks on other forums told me it was hopeless to try to repair a Bayliner. The guy has single handedly saved me thousands of dollars, and I know I'm not an isolated incident.

Today, a member I won't name sent me a very nice thank you in a PM. I gave him some info about his drive, and he found it helpful. I'm no expert of course, but I did happen to know something that was helpful to him. I knew it because several years ago, Rick provided me with the same information to repair my drive, and I sent Rick an almost identically worded PM. Not not has Rick helped me and others here, he's also educated a lot of us which has allowed us to help even more folks.

If you dislike the guy for whatever reason, consider this: You simply can't argue that his hearts in the right place. He's helping the members of the BOC. Maybe his wording or whatever has rubbed you the wrong way. But his actions go a long way to proving his true intent. Which is to help fellow boaters.

I get the impression for Whiskeys post that he was politely telling us thanks for our input, but he and the other mods are making the choice for themselves. Which is fine, it's their sandbox, their choice. And honestly, Rick can do just as much good as just a member as he could as a mod. But I think it's time "Team Rick" and "Team anti-Rick" come together and hug it out. We're all here for the same reason.

P.S. My other choice for a mod, would be Carlos (Swampnut) if he has time and interest in the job. I've known him going on 20 years. He knows his stuff both about boats and technical website nerd type stuff. He'd have this forum working better on my iPad in like 10 minutes. He does ride an old mans motorcycle, but that shouldn't disqualify him.
Justin
Pittsburgh PA

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 01:30 #14

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Maybe you guys have not noticed but after a recent discussion which caused Rick and a few others a timeout, he has not returned to the BOC.

Drama
Locked threads
Altered or Edited threads
The timeout he felt was unwarranted based on the discussion and rules.
a few of his reasons

I am just being the messenger.
Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410
Last Edit: by JimMc.

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 01:39 #15

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

nitsuj wrote:

Nauti Mike wrote: I agree that Rick has the knowledge but I think the issues with this would continue as the other camp of folks would not be happy.

There shouldn't be an other camp of users. We need to pull together. I feel like the BOC is sort of deteriorating. Seems like lots of bans, and locked threads and deleted posts lately. More drama than I've seen on any other forum I've been a part of. There's some sort of Hatfield and McCoy thing going on lately and I think it needs to get squashed. I don't know what the answer is. Some sort of airing of grievances maybe.

I've been on this site for 5ish years now. I honestly don't understand what it is about Rick that's so polarizing. It's not like he posts about god or abortion or Obama. He posts about boats. He offers good information to people that need it. If it sounds like I'm some sort of Rick booster, it's because I am. I came here as a complete stranger, and had a boat that wouldn't run. He didn't know me from Adam, but spent lots of time giving me information, sending me labeled pictures, even conversing with me on the phone. When the intermediate on my drive needed rebuilt, he did it for a price no one could beat. When I needed a shift cable, he had one in his pile of parts and sold it to me cheap. And he did this all after folks on other forums told me it was hopeless to try to repair a Bayliner. The guy has single handedly saved me thousands of dollars, and I know I'm not an isolated incident.

Today, a member I won't name sent me a very nice thank you in a PM. I gave him some info about his drive, and he found it helpful. I'm no expert of course, but I did happen to know something that was helpful to him. I knew it because several years ago, Rick provided me with the same information to repair my drive, and I sent Rick an almost identically worded PM. Not not has Rick helped me and others here, he's also educated a lot of us which has allowed us to help even more folks.

If you dislike the guy for whatever reason, consider this: You simply can't argue that his hearts in the right place. He's helping the members of the BOC. Maybe his wording or whatever has rubbed you the wrong way. But his actions go a long way to proving his true intent. Which is to help fellow boaters.

I get the impression for Whiskeys post that he was politely telling us thanks for our input, but he and the other mods are making the choice for themselves. Which is fine, it's their sandbox, their choice. And honestly, Rick can do just as much good as just a member as he could as a mod. But I think it's time "Team Rick" and "Team anti-Rick" come together and hug it out. We're all here for the same reason.

P.S. My other choice for a mod, would be Carlos (Swampnut) if he has time and interest in the job. I've known him going on 20 years. He knows his stuff both about boats and technical website nerd type stuff. He'd have this forum working better on my iPad in like 10 minutes. He does ride an old mans motorcycle, but that shouldn't disqualify him.

Justin I do not dislike anyone from this site. Rick and I got along fine and e-mailed each a few times.

My point is there seems to be much bad blood all around and a new neutral person may help stabilize things.

In my opinion we are all fellow boaters that can help each other and not one of us knows it all and is perfect. Just seems folks have got to sensitive such as you reply to me when in fact I wish Rick was still contributing.

It is pretty sad when so many folks with a common interest can not get along.

Mike

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 01:43 #16

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

JimMc wrote: Maybe you guys have not noticed but after a recent discussion which caused Rick and a few others a timeout, he has not returned to the BOC.

Drama
Locked threads
Altered or Edited threads
The timeout he felt was unwarranted based on the discussion and rules.
a few of his reasons

I am just being the messenger.

Yes Jim I think we have noticed he is no longer around.

That is for him to decided. I have not been on this site to have witnessed as the history and frankly do not care just seems both sides have some fault and in the end the site looses.

Mike

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 01:46 #17

• nitsuj
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Just seems folks have got to sensitive such as you reply to me when in fact I wish Rick was still contributing.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was replying to you. I wasn't. I was using what you said as a jumping off point to state my opinion. I was adding to your point, not trying to argue with you. I'm not sensitive to what you wrote. I'm sensitive to the general direction the club seems to be taking lately.
Justin
Pittsburgh PA

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 01:50 #18

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

nitsuj wrote:

Just seems folks have got to sensitive such as you reply to me when in fact I wish Rick was still contributing.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was replying to you. I wasn't. I was using what you said as a jumping off point to state my opinion. I was adding to your point, not trying to argue with you. I'm not sensitive to what you wrote. I'm sensitive to the general direction the club seems to be taking lately.

We're cool.

I usually stay out of these but had to chime in as I feel the site as well as the folks who come here for help are loosing out all around.

Mike

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 03:21 #19

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127
The best person we every had in the tech section was driven of this site because someone kept rewording his posts. It was too bad DonS left but he did and BOC survived, Rick has decided to be on ME and not come back to BOC again BOC will survive. I'm surprised you waited this long to start this thread Mike. I agree with WW on what is required to be a mod in the tech section and Rick is not that person while his knowledge of VP is very extensive and his research seems to be exhausting at times but a contributor is what he is.
Just my opinion just as others have voiced theirs.

Ken
Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 03:28 #20

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Just to be clear, Rick, (2850Bounty) is on line every day. He is not banned. He can post responses to requests when he wants or is able to. I doubt he will get involved with this petty stuff some here in this thread are getting all worked up over. Rick is not that kind of guy... One wants to contact Rick, he encourages PM's and not open dialog. Especially on a topic like this... he reads his PM's (which are not available by Mods to read BTW)...

FWIW Rick does best by posting and not combining modding and posting. If one goes back into just about any mods posts, there will be BOC members that get excited when it looks like a mod is not being even handed in the posts he is also modding... So, we do try to stay away from modding the same forums we normally post in to stay away from being controversial.

Also, we do not "vote" who should be a Mod or Administrator of a forum. The current Mods and Administrators have their own forum where we discuss who should Mod what, and where. We contact various members who we feel would be good mods or administrators. We do read who members suggest to be a Mod or Admin. So, this thread is good in that we have members looking for what they feel would be a good Mod. That is fine.

Bans: The Mods and Admin talk daily and discuss posts and threads together before putting someone on vacation for a few days... It is seldom that a member ends up in ban camp because of one Mod or Administrator. We also discuss with the member in question and give at least a couple of chances to fix what was said/written/posted... whatever. Even Mod's get their posts deleted and they too get a warning before hand... (yes, we had one recently step over the line but he did request his post be deleted)... If a member does not take our emails or PM's to heart and instead decides to rant, curse or otherwise become arrogant over the course of a couple or more exchanges or they post in the open and do not edit their posts when asked, then they get put in ban camp for a few days. If one reads the rules, Mods and Admins have ultimate authority on decision making...

This forum is not a democracy.

We also do not discuss in public why we ban a member. It is up to the member to tell anyone else if they wish to do so.

Rick will come back when he is ready or he is not busy running his marine business. Rick is a good guy and I for one have stuck up for him many times over many issues. We have talked by phone, email and PM.

We do look for new blood and any members here may request to mod a forum they feel comfortable with. All our Mods and Administration change out after one or two years. So, in reality, there is no "good ole boys" network.

Want to discuss anything I posted, please fell free to PM me or email me... Or, PM for my phone number.
Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 04:57 #21

• nitsuj
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I don't think anyone actually thought they were voting. I think the thread was intended to get some things out in the open to be discussed. Didn't seem to work, but it was a valiant effort none the less.
Justin
Pittsburgh PA

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 05:00 #22

• Four Pyrates
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Iproff wrote: The best person we every had in the tech section was driven of this site because someone kept rewording his posts. It was too bad DonS left but he did and BOC survived,

I learned more about boat mechanics reading his answers and talking to him than I ever did in GM engine school, the navy, or anywhere else. He has passed away, but I much appreciated how he showed me the correct way to do things.
Last Edit: by Four Pyrates.

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 15:13 #23

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
In my opinion (always start with that) we have two themes going on here. What a moderator should be and the defenders of Rick voicing their opinions on his suspension.

On the topic of moderator I agree with WW completely. His write-up is a perfect description of what a moderator should be.

As to Rick's suspension, I don't even know what caused it and right or wrong it is in the past and there is no undoing it. Moderators have to make that tough decision or this site will become as useless as many others that were not controlled.

I also believe Rick is a very valuable contributor and hope this blows over and he comes back as he helped many, many people and his knowledge and experience will be missed!

It is easy to get wrapped up in a post. I am sure I have brushed up against the timeout line a few times when some 1/2 knowledged, text book tech guy with no real experience starts giving out "this is the only right way" information, that in ......opps....see how easy it is!

I now tend to look at a tech post and if it has a page of replies I just don't see how my opinion is going to be of any use.....right or wrong.

The most important thing is we get pass this.
Larry
Last Edit: by lolar3288.

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 15:57 #24

• carguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20

Four Pyrates wrote:

Iproff wrote: The best person we every had in the tech section was driven of this site because someone kept rewording his posts. It was too bad DonS left but he did and BOC survived,

I learned more about boat mechanics reading his answers and talking to him than I ever did in GM engine school, the navy, or anywhere else. He has passed away, but I much appreciated how he showed me the correct way to do things.

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the thread. When did he leave? 2009? Time flies.
Doug
Hanging Loose
98 Carver 350 Mariner
2013-
KRUSTY KRAB
2001 305
5.7 BII
2006-2013

Let the Members Vote... 26 Jul 2014 16:30 #25

• scarab63
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 31
I understand it won't count but I'm casting anyway! !!

I for one vote that poser that was from Florida a few months ago. With over 50 boats in his corral, and dozens of million dollar resto's he'd be ideal.
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds