Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on.

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 21 Dec 2013 20:06 #1

• dmcb
  • dmcb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
It seems to me there is a lot of complaining about a free site.
Its up, its running and we can do everything we always did.
For some self called experts to snipe at those who put in a hell of a lot of hours is pretty CS which means Chicken $hit just so there is no misunderstand my meaning.
Whining because you don't know enough to click back on instead of typing your name and password shows me you expect a hell of a lot for nothing invested.
Shame on you for this.
Keep it up and you will drive off those who spend all the unpaid hours keeping this site running.
Maybe this site is somehow below your self worth and you should move on until it suits you better.
If your not ashamed, well I am ashamed for you.
Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskywizard, LTCret, Iproff, Go Aweigh2452, boatworkfl, Alaskanmutt, g-alpuche, Bohunter1990

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
Last Edit: by Stratocaster.

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 21 Dec 2013 22:05 #2

• mole2
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • All Y'all, I'm here
  • Thank you received: 18

dmcb wrote: It seems to me there is a lot of complaining about a free site.
For some self called experts to snipe at those who put in a hell of a lot of hours is pretty CS which means Chicken $hit just so there is no misunderstand my meaning.
Whining because you don't know enough to click back on instead of typing your name and password shows me you expect a hell of a lot for nothing invested.
Shame on you for this.
Keep it up and you will drive off those who spend all the unpaid hours keeping this site running.
Maybe this site is somehow below your self worth and you should move on until it suits you better.
Doug

Huh?

:)

Richie M.

15 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope, Steve Jobs and no Obama.

Now we have Obama but no Jobs no Cash and no Hope!

2005 Trophy 2052 -
Mercruiser 4.3L FWC Alpha 1 Gen II
and Extended Hard Top
Click here for pictures of my Trophy 2052
Longs South Carolina

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 21 Dec 2013 23:00 #3

• steelwrk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 2001- 4788 , Canada
  • Thank you received: 66

Shame on you for this.
Doug

Hello Doug,

Seems you are mellowing as the seasons pass, your a little kinder , or just so disgusted with the negativity you did not take time to really add some colorful words.

I agree with you and think that any negative stuff re this site is FOS and their opinion is not WAS. (to be clear thats Full Of $hit and not Worth A $hit)

The guys DONATING their time for 0$ need a medal and nothing but praise for all their efforts in maintaining this site. This has not been an easy year for our tech team and I wonder how many extra ," above and beyond "colective hours our volenteer group has been forced to work to repair and fend off the attacks we have had? These super people never signed on for the amountt of effort they must have had to work this year.If we had to pay these fellows for their efforts I am scared to think what it would cost.

Hats off to the BOC team for a fantastic job and Thank You for all you do .

And thank you Doug for bringing this to our attention...some of us are so spoiled we only look at the things related to our little part of BOC, I am guilty of this , and would never had seen the negativity that needs to be stamped out and our appriciation for the BOC team expressed .

Very Best Regards,
Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTCret, diveguy, g-alpuche

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 00:47 #4

• MartyUK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
From the UK I raise my hat to the guys we don't see, or don't know what they do for BOC, it is in my mind a great site, full of information, advice to boaters new and old.
Keep up the work we need you guys, Marty.

Marty UK
BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND
2001 175 BR Capri ...3 litre GM Mercruiser ( Alpha 1 gen 11 OD)
"THE VOICE OF THE SEA SPEAKS TO THE SOUL"

Ramsgate Small Boat Owners Assoc.

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 02:14 #5

• Endless Seas
  • Thank you received: 3
We own a SeaRay 450 and are planning on buying an Element in the spring so I joined this site and really enjoy it.It seems no one is always happy all the time and forget how much these sites really help all of us from time to time. I am one who appreciate the work and effort to keep these sites up for all of us who share a common passion for boating.
Merry Christmas to all of you and thank you.

Tommy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Go Aweigh2452

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 03:52 #6

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127

Shame on you for this.
Doug

Agree 100% Doug, I was jumped on when I suggested the same thing.

Ken

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

Suprised to hear this from you, Doug 22 Dec 2013 04:19 #7

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
You are all about getting what you pay for. Merc outboard stories, West Marine, Banking, Cars, etc.
BOC paid for a Bulletin Board software that was suppose to be better than what they had. They got crap. It has been crap from the first day. They should get what they paid for.

I know you contribute to BOC financially. I do too. I expect the vendor to provide what was paid for. The admins that selected the product have some culpability, even if they volunteer.

I also support IT. Sometimes things are out of your control. When things are out of your control, you don't take it out on your customers. You communicate to them, empathize with them, and let them know what is going on OFTEN. You certainly don't berate your customers when they vocalize about how it affects them.

BOC admin hasn't done a good job managing a bad situation. They don't feel like they own the issue. Someone does own the issue. The president of BOC. Volunteer or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stompor

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

Suprised to hear this from you, Doug 22 Dec 2013 04:50 #8

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 241
Doug,

I am with you. You guys have been busting your butt to bring the site back up, and prior to the pinhead that brought the site down I know you all put in tons of time to make this my favorite site on the web. I donate my time to various groups and the tough fact is that we remember the few complaining a-holes more than the friendly thankful folks or the quiet middle of the roaders. Ah well.

Thanks again for all you do - please keep up the great work!

Rob

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

Suprised to hear this from you, Doug 22 Dec 2013 05:01 #9

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

talman wrote: You are all about getting what you pay for. Merc outboard stories, West Marine, Banking, Cars, etc.
BOC paid for a Bulletin Board software that was suppose to be better than what they had. They got crap. It has been crap from the first day. They should get what they paid for.

BOC's previous software was being hacked and brought down on a daily basis, and the hosting provider and the Forum Vendor could not or would not provide assistance. This site contains many software pieces that fit together only one of them is this Forum. The Forum works fine. The issue is with the container the Forum sits in that controls access like usernames and passwords as well as the main functions of a site such as the remember me function. That container software is where the issue resides. As for the costs related to BOC, the major costs are related to hosting, storage and database size and improved security. The move to this provider has resolved ALL of those issues.

I know you contribute to BOC financially. I do too. I expect the vendor to provide what was paid for. The admins that selected the product have some culpability, even if they volunteer.

The vendor of the software Joomla, is providing exactly what was paid for. As for the Admins I selected the product based on my years of experience and the fact that I use the same software on my site without any issues to this day.

I also support IT. Sometimes things are out of your control. When things are out of your control, you don't take it out on your customers. You communicate to them, empathize with them, and let them know what is going on OFTEN. You certainly don't berate your customers when they vocalize about how it affects them.

If you support IT then you know that while customers have a right to be treated respectfully so do the members of the IT team. It is a two way street. Vocalization is fine and encouraged. Send me a PM and I will be more than happy to respond to your concerns. But when public post vocalizations turn to continuous finger pointing and rants those will be dealt with the same respect in which they were posted.

BOC admin hasn't done a good job managing a bad situation. They don't feel like they own the issue. Someone does own the issue. The president of BOC. Volunteer or not.

I own the issue and I have no problem standing up and accepting the responsibility. I certainly can do a better job of communicating the progress of the actions we are taking to resolve the issue and will try to do better going forward, However please also note if we are waiting for an outside party to respond to us or to resolve an issue informing the membership on an hourly or daily basis serves no purpose to the team or the members other than to make more work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Go Aweigh2452, Jarhead

Suprised to hear this from you, Doug 22 Dec 2013 06:26 #10

• dmcb
  • dmcb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 06:37 #11

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Thank you received: 28
Am I the only one who is satisfied with this site?

I don't want to be singled out because I'm not complaining about something :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTCret

1988 Bayliner 3288
Las Vegas in the winter, BC coast in the summer

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 10:45 #12

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
Ok, I'll go against the grain here. I don't see anybody Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. What I see is obvious problems that are difficult if not impossible to resolve which we are told admin is working on which is fine however I check in here every day and am well aware of the problem. Problem is, a month goes by without any update on the issue and people who are not here on a daily basis ask a simple question and this always finishes badly by basically being told to quite your Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. It would be so easy to set up a sticky or bulletin a with simple update once a week saying we still are working on the issue. Only problem I see is lack of communication. Make it obvious with a title like "Logging in issue updates" as this seems to be the only problem with the site, everything else is perfect. Anybody who asks the question is simply directed to the sticky, end of thread/story. Now wasn't that simple?

By the way, there is a login problem sticky however it tells you basically it is not working because you spelled your credentials wrong? Really? Update that one to reflect todays problem, lock it and update it weekly until it is corrected and the replace with what is written there now.

My 2 Canadian cents, hey we don't have cents here any more. :silly:

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos
Last Edit: by MidnightSun.

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 17:01 #13

• Patrevan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
It don't matter what your group is - family, neighbors, co-workers...there are those who choose to walk through life bitching. So be it. This website has answered countless questions of mine and I've often wondered what motivates the admin folks to spend what is obviously countless hours maintaining the site. I'm forever indebted. Thank-You, Thank-you. thank-you!!

Mike & Dixi
2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
Closed Cooling

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 22:28 #14

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355

MidnightSun wrote: Ok, I'll go against the grain here. I don't see anybody Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. What I see is obvious problems that are difficult if not impossible to resolve which we are told admin is working on which is fine however I check in here every day and am well aware of the problem. Problem is, a month goes by without any update on the issue and people who are not here on a daily basis ask a simple question and this always finishes badly by basically being told to quite your Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. It would be so easy to set up a sticky or bulletin a with simple update once a week saying we still are working on the issue. Only problem I see is lack of communication. Make it obvious with a title like "Logging in issue updates" as this seems to be the only problem with the site, everything else is perfect. Anybody who asks the question is simply directed to the sticky, end of thread/story. Now wasn't that simple?

By the way, there is a login problem sticky however it tells you basically it is not working because you spelled your credentials wrong? Really? Update that one to reflect todays problem, lock it and update it weekly until it is corrected and the replace with what is written there now.

My 2 Canadian cents, hey we don't have cents here any more. :silly:

Yes you do not have any cents there, now retailers price their products so they can take advantage of the bump up on bump down, then as they do here in the US for state and local tax, the retailer payes on the gross sales, and keeps the rest.

We rent space and data on a server, there are bugs on the change, they are being worked on, if you have a solution say so, otherwise what does a penny have to do with BOC??????

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 22:39 #15

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Thank you received: 28
I may be wrong, but isn't complaining about people who complain, actually, in itself, complaining?

This is just a wild idea, but in the spirit of Christmas, why don't we declare a moratorium on complaining?

1988 Bayliner 3288
Las Vegas in the winter, BC coast in the summer

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 22:48 #16

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA
  • Thank you received: 276

malayphred wrote: I may be wrong, but isn't complaining about people who complain, actually, in itself, complaining?

This is just a wild idea, but in the spirit of Christmas, why don't we declare a moratorium on complaining?

Agreed. Too much bah humbug here

www.boatyardgm.com
www.pacificyachtimports.net
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 22:55 #17

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355

NeilW wrote:

malayphred wrote: I may be wrong, but isn't complaining about people who complain, actually, in itself, complaining?

Agreed. Too much bah humbug here

I agree, lets get the Christmas spirit and the coming New Year; All issues here will be taken care of as soon as possible, be happy with being alive, with family and friends, and boating, or whatever makes you happy.
Nit picking is a distraction to those that are working to solve the issues of transition

After the log in issues are solved mabe we can start working on expanding our BOC site.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
Last Edit: by boatworkfl.

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 23:01 #18

• Stratocaster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25
I love everyone! :)

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 22 Dec 2013 23:15 #19

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Stratocaster wrote: I love everyone! :)

LOL and that is why "everyone" loves you back Strat :) :kiss:

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 23 Dec 2013 00:31 #20

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126
Is it nitpicking if I say that Strat is bald ?

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 23 Dec 2013 01:16 #21

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
glass houses, etc. I must love bald people.

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 23 Dec 2013 03:50 #22

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54
I appreciate what the volunteers do and don't admire what they have to put up with. I know sometimes I am part of the problem, but I do try to be part of the solution too.

I say thank you to you all and have a Merry Christmas.

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 23 Dec 2013 05:19 #23

• Geasea
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Belturbet Cavan Ireland
  • Thank you received: 93
For those who are Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. Get over it we have a site, there are far worse things worry about in the world.
I personally would like to thank the BOC team for all there hard work.
Seasons greetings to you and your families.

Martin

Every day spent above ground is a great day, Every day spent on the water is even better!
''Stress Relief''
Ciera 2855 1998 (brought back from the brink)
7.4L Mpi
Bravo III (new in 2011)

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 23 Dec 2013 05:28 #24

• Jim Gandee
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 178
Ahhhhhh, technically you can't pick nits from a bald guy! :)

Every forum has it's issues, this is no different, but by and large this forum works pretty darn well and I am extremely thankful to those who continue to manage it for the rest of us. Thanks admins!

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Bitchin, whining, nitpicking and so on. 23 Dec 2013 06:01 #25

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
I am just glad that we have a site that is up and running. Yeah, there may be some issues at the moment but eventually they will be resolved. It is sure a lot better here than on the old site. I don't think we have been hacked since the move. And, it is a lot better now than it was. I hope we never go through another down time like we did before. Keep up the good work guys. Try to let the complaints roll of your back like water of the back of a duck.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds