Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My observations of the new BOC format.

My observations of the new BOC format. 11 Nov 2013 15:35 #1

• 2850Bounty
  • 2850Bounty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I'm getting used to the new format.
I like the Forum Index tab and all that follow it to the right.
I've figured out the image uploads, and URL linking... so far... so good.
I like the new time line..... showing how long ago the thread was started, and how long ago the last post was made in hours/minutes.

I also like the new cash feature, whereby you invoke the action, and BOC cash comes out of your Disc Drive.
(I'll assume that this also works in reverse!)

Dislikes and questions:

I don't know where all of my hosted images went (the ones that I could access with the "paper clip" icon)?

I much prefer the wider screen view of the previous format.

I still can't stay logged on for any duration. :evil:

In order to change an uploaded image, I know need to check off the image, click on "save", and then do another "edit", and click "save" again.
Is there another method or short cut for this?

Where did the multiple quote feature go? Quoting and responding to two or more members is now a PITA.
Also regarding "quotes", quotes used to have a box around them, so it was very clear where the quote began and where it ended.... including a "quote within a quote".
Now it's not quite as clear unless you divide them with these> *************!

Also, where did the "auto restore" feature go?

"Send BOC Email" feature.......... where did that go?

Where did the a/B option go? (the option to choose the code used?)

I miss the "Go Advance" feature. This used to give us a larger text field while posting or editing.

And lastly for now, the links to previous BOC threads that I've used in my AQ series Vault thread, are no longer active.
Can these be restored?

I suppose that I am somewhat complaining...... but I understand that that we take some and give some.

No hurry...... I just wanted to ask these questions.

Edit:
I've also noticed that when I view this thread, the view count goes up by one.
I believe that with the previous format, this would not add to the view count.
Is that even an issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 12:38 #2

• 2850Bounty
  • 2850Bounty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
230 views..... and no comments???? :dry:

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 16:51 #3

• SurfaceIntvl
  • Sean
  • Thank you received: 2
I think the problem here is that there are no easy answers to most of your questions. I'm a Software Architect and have a great deal of experience in these free hosting applications like Drupal (this product).

Unfortunately a lot of times the phrase "it is what it is" is the only response. Open Source vendors like Drupal provide features as their (mostly unpaid, volunteer) developers get to them. If there's a feature one must simply have, the quickest route is often to pull down the code and contribute to the project. Otherwise you must simply wait until someone gets to it, or find another platform that suits your need. Commercial products tend to be more full-featured because getting paid for what you do normally drives innovation and quality. ;)

It is possible that there are options that address some of your issues (screen width comes to mind as that's normally a component of the site's skin width...) but those can take time to learn and test.

By the way, I can stay logged in for great lengths of time. Not sure why you can't. Try clearing your browser cache including cookies, make sure cookies are enabled, and log in again. See if that works.

Sean O. Stanwood, WA

Surface Interval, La Conner Marina
1991 2556 Command Bridge
Mercruiser 5.7
SEI SE116 Drive

"Divers live for bottom time. All else is Surface Interval."

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 17:25 #4

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I really miss the multiple quote feature.

On the up side one can make multiple posts trying to make multiple quotes thus padding the post count. Holy crap rick is going to have a high post count now. :).

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 19:38 #5

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258

yachtman wrote: I really miss the multiple quote feature.

2850Bounty wrote: Where did the multiple quote feature go? Quoting and responding to two or more members is now a PITA.

Like that? You can still multi-quote.

Santa wrote: "Ho Ho HO..."

Last Edit: by SomeSailor.

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 19:47 #6

• rafaelfigueira
  • Thank you received: 103

SomeSailor wrote:

yachtman wrote: I really miss the multiple quote feature.

2850Bounty wrote: Where did the multiple quote feature go? Quoting and responding to two or more members is now a PITA.

Like that? You can still multi-quote.

Santa wrote: "Ho Ho HO..."

:) You did it manually. The old app had the option of "checking" multiple messages in a thread, then hitting "reply" once: the reply would start with all checked messages quoted already. That's the multi-quote. It's good to connect dots when threads get too many people going on different directions.

Rafael Figueira
1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 20:21 #7

• Garchartwo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Rick, I agree. I like a lot of the new stuff too, but miss the same features you do. Also, I had to come into BOC as a new member as I could not get logged in the new site. Garchar

Last Edit: by Garchartwo. Reason: s

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 20:56 #8

• Mileskb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I agree with all said actually, but there's no going back I'm sure.

Before I comment further, if you keep getting logged out, go to your browser settings, usually under an advanced settings there is a way to find and delete specific cookies. Just search in the appropriate box for baylinerownersclub without any www or .com or anything and delete ALL related cookies. Some of the cookies from the old forum software is messing with the new software. Once I did this, and logged in again with the "remember me" checked... I haven't had to redo it.

As for Joomla, not Drupal but similar, Wordpress and the others, they are software for content management and/or geared toward social networking needs. The difference between a "social network" and a "forum" is essentially a social network is about the individuals who make up the network. Think about your Facebook page, it's all about you. People can contact you, follow you, etc.. but it's about you. When you connect with friends, it's still really about YOU sharing with THEM or we'll call it ONE to MANY.

A forum is more about the TOPIC for which it was created. Where most EVERYONE is talking about that ONE topic... in this case Bayliner Boats.

I run the largest free forums for two brands. Ovation Guitars and Victory Motorcycles and I helped build the Victory Motorcycle Club which is the largest forum for that brand. I have been runnning the Ovation forum for over 10 years and the Victory-Riders Network for over 6 years and I have developed countless more websites and forums. My partner in crime has been working in the web development area of Harvard University in Boston since long before it had a specific department for web development. I heard about Facebook before most anyone not at the University heard of it. We constantly discuss the pros and cons of moving this forums to a more "modern" some might say environment. So far, we have chosen NOT to for all the reasons mentioned so far and more. Forums, in general, just don't gracefully fit into the "social networking" paradigm because the main purpose of forums are to provide information on a topic with input for many. Essentially a forum is a grand Wiki site in which information is not just posted, but discussed and analyzed.

Another way to look at is is that a forums is an information sharing tool that can have a social aspect. Where a social network is a Social tool for finding people with similar interests. There is some crossover, and in it sorta works, but there are compromises.

What I don't like about this format is the waste of space. I'm looking at my screen now and I'm typing in a little box in the middle of a huge screen of wasted space. Doesn't really matter, it's not distracting, but I just don't like it. Just seems like a lot of... well... wasted space. Same thing when I'm looking at threads... I have enough space on either side of the content area to have ANOTHER forum up in another browser. I could do that with the older software if I wanted to... but as routine... why would I...

As someone else posted... it is what it is. I wasn't asked. I will still come here because it's the best source of information on my boat. As that's unlikely to change... again... it is, what it is.

Aquatic Muse
Mount Vernon, WA
MMSI: 367498870
'79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 21:06 #9

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I would like to see the posts per page back at 10, makes it easier to navigate a thread. I know initially it was 6 per page, too few, 10 was the former sites format.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 21:56 #10

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

rafaelfigueira wrote: The old app had the option of "checking" multiple messages in a thread, then hitting "reply" once: the reply would start with all checked messages quoted already. That's the multi-quote.

I know what multiquote is. I was just pulling Rick's chain.

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 23:14 #11

• MartyUK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
I'm happy to be here, THANKS.....

Marty UK
BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND
2001 175 BR Capri ...3 litre GM Mercruiser ( Alpha 1 gen 11 OD)
"THE VOICE OF THE SEA SPEAKS TO THE SOUL"

Ramsgate Small Boat Owners Assoc.

My observations of the new BOC format. 13 Nov 2013 23:40 #12

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Garchartwo wrote: Rick, I agree. I like a lot of the new stuff too, but miss the same features you do. Also, I had to come into BOC as a new member as I could not get logged in the new site. Garchar

Did you check your junk email and or click on remember password ?

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 00:19 #13

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Mileskb wrote: I agree with all said actually, but there's no going back I'm sure.

Before I comment further, if you keep getting logged out, go to your browser settings, usually under an advanced settings there is a way to find and delete specific cookies. Just search in the appropriate box for baylinerownersclub without any www or .com or anything and delete ALL related cookies. Some of the cookies from the old forum software is messing with the new software. Once I did this, and logged in again with the "remember me" checked... I haven't had to redo it.

As for Joomla, not Drupal but similar, Wordpress and the others, they are software for content management and/or geared toward social networking needs. The difference between a "social network" and a "forum" is essentially a social network is about the individuals who make up the network. Think about your Facebook page, it's all about you. People can contact you, follow you, etc.. but it's about you. When you connect with friends, it's still really about YOU sharing with THEM or we'll call it ONE to MANY.

A forum is more about the TOPIC for which it was created. Where most EVERYONE is talking about that ONE topic... in this case Bayliner Boats.

I run the largest free forums for two brands. Ovation Guitars and Victory Motorcycles and I helped build the Victory Motorcycle Club which is the largest forum for that brand. I have been runnning the Ovation forum for over 10 years and the Victory-Riders Network for over 6 years and I have developed countless more websites and forums. My partner in crime has been working in the web development area of Harvard University in Boston since long before it had a specific department for web development. I heard about Facebook before most anyone not at the University heard of it. We constantly discuss the pros and cons of moving this forums to a more "modern" some might say environment. So far, we have chosen NOT to for all the reasons mentioned so far and more. Forums, in general, just don't gracefully fit into the "social networking" paradigm because the main purpose of forums are to provide information on a topic with input for many. Essentially a forum is a grand Wiki site in which information is not just posted, but discussed and analyzed.

Another way to look at is is that a forums is an information sharing tool that can have a social aspect. Where a social network is a Social tool for finding people with similar interests. There is some crossover, and in it sorta works, but there are compromises.

What I don't like about this format is the waste of space. I'm looking at my screen now and I'm typing in a little box in the middle of a huge screen of wasted space. Doesn't really matter, it's not distracting, but I just don't like it. Just seems like a lot of... well... wasted space. Same thing when I'm looking at threads... I have enough space on either side of the content area to have ANOTHER forum up in another browser. I could do that with the older software if I wanted to... but as routine... why would I...

As someone else posted... it is what it is. I wasn't asked. I will still come here because it's the best source of information on my boat. As that's unlikely to change... again... it is, what it is.

Thanks for the explanation Miles :) You are correct the software is open source with thousands of contributing developers. I continue to look as does Doug for those features that are most desired by the members.
The old site when it started was very much a Forum about Bayliners in general. Along the way that idea morphed in a Forum with a Social component, however the tool VBulletin was not originally designed for that. Joomla currently is a content management solution. It provides a means to present information in Article Format like a news site that is searchable and provides an easy means with which to draw attention to it and retrieve it. Yes it can also have a Community or Social Network aspect added to it through the use of components such as Community Builder etc. Categories such as Dock Walk, PP etc are more about Social Networking rather than Bayliner. Yes it can also have a Forum whereby people can post questions, answers and opinions to particular topics in particular categories related to Bayliners or boating in general.
For those who grew up on the old Bulletin Board format when nothing better was available, it is sometimes difficult to make the transition and to know when and which format to use. Do I create an Article, do I post in the Forum, or do I do both.
The problem in my mind with using the Forum format exclusively is the information you are trying to share gets lost in the clutter eventually. I don't know how many time I have seen new users chastised on Forums for not looking through the 50,0000 posts before they post a question. Searching through posts can take forever with lots of false hits. Wading through multiple conversations about the Admirals swollen ankles in a topic that started out as a technical topic on water pumps can be very frustrating. To me if the question has been asked more than a couple of time it makes sense to maybe place it in an article which is in a category, also searchable but easier to find let alone read. Then if there are questions or comments post those in the forum with a reference back to the Article.
Links to pictures and manuals also are an issue as they become broken and get lost over time in forum posts. However placed on the site as a file download or in an article it is available, categorized and searchable.
Joomla is capable of much more than what has been implemented here to date. These capabilities provide opportunities to make sites like BOC much more than just a forum discussing the same topics over and over. There are lots of opportunities available for BOC members I would encourage all members to look at what's available extensions.joomla.org/ :woohoo:

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 00:31 #14

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253

Jeffw wrote: I would like to see the posts per page back at 10, makes it easier to navigate a thread. I know initially it was 6 per page, too few, 10 was the former sites format.

The former site was user-configurable. I set my old BOC to its maximum posts/pg.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 00:34 #15

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

crowder.dr wrote:

What Rick read.....

Did you check your junk and remember your password?

You know he is getting old things really need to be spelled out for him these days.

Sorry just dishing it back rick. Lolol

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 01:16 #16

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

yachtman wrote:

crowder.dr wrote:

What Rick read.....

Did you check your junk and remember your password?

You know he is getting old things really need to be spelled out for him these days.

Sorry just dishing it back rick. Lolol

LOL rum all over the screen :lol:

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 03:47 #17

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
There are limitations on all software and as has been stated several times, it is what it is...
Eventually we will get extensions that allow us to widen the page, allow multi quotes, etc. Our primary concern currently is to make sure this open software stays secure. The concern with so many contributors is they can hurt as well as help hackers gain access.

Dave has done a fine job getting us firewall protected. Our next level is going to tick off several members because I will start to implement better passwords of our members... no more 12345 or love or even god as a password will do. Because we are open source, it may not take a hacker long to select a few members names and brute force look for their password. If it is easy then they break in and can snoop around and raise havoc... I already suspect it was done to one member already that asked if one of us mods had accidentally tried to log in under his user name since he got notified by the software that he failed logging on... That could very well been a hacker...

So, long story (if you are still reading this) is you will shortly be required to provide a new password, minimum 8 alphanumeric, caps and a symbol to make it harder for bad guys to gain access... AND protect YOUR information...

So stand by... its coming to a forum near you... :ohmy:

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 04:09 #18

• Kåre L
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4
I've been using an online password generator lately to create more bulletproof passwords. One downside is that it's about impossible to memorize, so I have them written down in a secret place.
To put things in perspective, here's where we were 13 years ago:
web.archive.org/web/20001002004800/http:....ezboard.com/bbocweb
...with 455 registered members.

Kåre
1990 3288 MY twin Ford 351's "Celuna"
Lighthouse Marina, Lake Murray, SC
Last Edit: by Kåre L.

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 14:23 #19

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

Kåre L wrote: I've been using an online password generator lately to create more bulletproof passwords. One downside is that it's about impossible to memorize, so I have them written down in a secret place.
To put things in perspective, here's where we were 13 years ago:
web.archive.org/web/20001002004800/http:....ezboard.com/bbocweb
...with 455 registered members.

Ah yes, back in the day when a global password covered all ezboard forums... how things changed in just 13 years...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 15:44 #20

• rafaelfigueira

SomeSailor wrote:

rafaelfigueira wrote: The old app had the option of "checking" multiple messages in a thread, then hitting "reply" once: the reply would start with all checked messages quoted already. That's the multi-quote.

I know what multiquote is.

Well, you are kind of new around here, so I just thought you needed a tutorial, that's all.

Rafael Figueira

My observations of the new BOC format. 14 Nov 2013 16:34 #21

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

rafaelfigueira wrote: Well, you are kind of new around here, so I just thought you needed a tutorial, that's all.

:D

Yeah that's it. Never really liked multiquote myself anyhow.

My observations of the new BOC format. 15 Nov 2013 07:14 #22

• rafaelfigueira
What is the "attach file" option when editing a post? It's not the same as adding an image, the checkbox is below.

Rafael Figueira

My observations of the new BOC format. 15 Nov 2013 07:31 #23

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126
I just attached a PDF - take a look.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

My observations of the new BOC format. 15 Nov 2013 13:41 #24

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
You can also use it to add photos

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

My observations of the new BOC format. 15 Nov 2013 17:10 #25

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm still delighted to have BOC back. We'll learn the new stuff quick enough. So far, I like it just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Go Aweigh2452, rafaelfigueira

Jim & Pam Smith
2016 Polar Craft 1670, Evinrude 15 HP outboard, Auto boat loader on Ford Explorer
Past Commodore, Lake Diefenbaker Yacht Club
Commander (1991 Charter & Current), Saskatchewan Power & Sail Squadron
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds