• Page:

TOPIC: Boating or politics website?

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 17:45 #1

• nile
  • nile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 50
I usually open the BOC website on the "Recent Topics" page. What I now get is 12 new posts out of twenty are "Political Pundits" and "Dock Walk" which all deal about politics and not boating (Obamacare, guns, etc..)
Is opening the B.O.C website going to be like opening the FoxNews website?
There are websites dedicated to political chat, Boating is about peacefulness and enjoying life at sea, not fighting for ideas.
I.M.O
The following user(s) said Thank You: rwarejr, River cruiser
NILE
1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
Fort Lauderdale Florida

The topic has been locked.

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 17:49 #2

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

nile wrote: I usually open the BOC website on the "Recent Topics" page. What I now get is 12 new posts out of twenty are "Political Pundits" and "Dock Walk" which all deal about politics and not boating (Obamacare, guns, etc..)
There are websites dedicated to political chat, Boating is about peacefulness and enjoying life at sea, not fighting for ideas.
I.M.O

Don't look if you don't like. This topic has been beat to death. You can change the channel.
46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 18:09 #3

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116

nile wrote: I usually open the BOC website on the "Recent Topics" page. What I now get is 12 new posts out of twenty are "Political Pundits" and "Dock Walk" which all deal about politics and not boating (Obamacare, guns, etc..)
I.M.O

The intent I think of any boating web site is to create a community similar to what you would find at your local marina, only bigger. At any time of the day you can walk down the dock at your local marina and find people talking about the weather, politics, where to cruise, where to fish and yes even talking about boats. Just like when your at the marina some topics on some days on this and other forums will be more prevalent than others.
I would suggest if you find a lack of boating related topics over other topics, start some. Eventually that way the boating topics will out number the other topics and the what's new page will reflect the change. :)

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 18:18 #4

• CarpeNavicula
  • Thank you received: 7
If John Boehner and Harry Reid went in together to buy a boat what kind would it be?
2014 160 OB

“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.” 
― Thomas Sowell, Barbarians inside the Gates and Other Controversial Essays

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 18:25 #5

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355

crowder.dr wrote:

I.M.O

The intent I think of any boating web site is to create a community similar to what you would find at your local marina, only bigger. At any time of the day you can walk down the dock at your local marina and find people talking about the weather, politics, where to cruise, where to fish and yes even talking about boats. Just like when your at the marina some topics on some days on this and other forums will be more prevalent than others.
I would suggest if you find a lack of boating related topics over other topics, start some. Eventually that way the boating topics will out number the other topics and the what's new page will reflect the change. :)

I lived on my boat in Seward, AK for many years year round, the only politics I remember being talked about is when I ran for city council, other than that it was fishing, boats, weather, harbor related issues, and how do yuo do.
As befor I think PP should be back where it was.
Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 19:06 #6

• nile
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think we don't go to the same marinas as people never talk about politics in the marinas I've been in the US. They talk about boating, fishing, girls and other nice things. B.O.C is an international website as many Bayliner owners are from Europe, New Zealand, Canada, Polynesia and Australia. They don't care about Obamacare and people gunning each other which seems to be the obsession of some Bayliners owners.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boatworkfl
NILE
Fort Lauderdale Florida

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 19:28 #7

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Let's hear from the international community, what say ye !
Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 20:00 #8

• nile
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
On the old website you could eliminate (block) the P.P forum, now it's imposed on you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: msd58, boatworkfl
NILE
Fort Lauderdale Florida

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 20:11 #9

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

nile wrote: On the old website you could eliminate (block) the P.P forum, now it's imposed on you.

There is crap on the web. Do you look? There is Crap on Cable. Do you look. You don't have to look. Again.....................YOU DON"T HAVE TO LOOK. HAVE SOME SELF CONTROL.. :angry:
46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 20:31 #10

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126
A repost of the answer to this question:

the decision to keep PP has been made.
For those who dont like the way Recent Topics works: please PM one of the admins when you locate a reasonable way to keep PP posts out of Recent Topics, we cant find one.

Reasonable, for the purposes of this discussion, is a free or low-cost extension Kunena forums that is actively supported or an official extension that does not require too much fooling around. It should also only strip PP from 'Recent Topics', but otherwise leave PP unaffected.

Your solution should allow current PP users to view Recent Topics with PP content in place, and not show PP content to those who dont want to see it. This is how our previous VB software worked.

The previous forum software allowed individual users to choose whether they wanted PP content or not, using an 'opt-in' scheme.
This mechanism worked well because it required no administrative overhead, and on an all-volunteer site that is important.

For those who just cannot live with this untenable situation:
This forum software shows you where the new posts are - you can use the 'Forum Index' to shield you from content you find offensive. The 'recent topics' page will simply have to be something you avoid until either a workable solution is found or your ability to tolerate stuff improves.

Everyone agrees that allowing users to limit what they see in 'Recent Topics' is a great software feature, we just cant find a way to do it without a lot of administrative overhead.

I am sorry that this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but maybe you can help us find a way to keep everyone happy - that is the goal.
Last Edit: by PugetMike.

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 21:22 #11

• nickatnite
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27

CarpeNavicula wrote: If John Boehner and Harry Reid went in together to buy a boat what kind would it be?

From what I have seen of Boehner, it would be what ever Harry wants . . . . . .
Nick
1988 3218 "Selkie Song"

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 21:27 #12

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

nickatnite wrote:

CarpeNavicula wrote: If John Boehner and Harry Reid went in together to buy a boat what kind would it be?

From what I have seen of Boehner, it would be what ever Harry wants . . . . . .

www.ealuxe.com/most-expensive-yacht-ever-built/

I would say they both spend like drunken sailors, but I don't want to show disrespect to the drunken sailors.
46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
― Bob Marley

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 21:57 #13

• Knot Finishe
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
"If John Boehner and Harry Reid went in together to buy a boat what kind would it be?"
With Boehner on board, there'd be a need for extra bilge pumps - all those tears rolling down his cheeks will overwork whatever the builders install.

With this new forum format I find that if I log in from work I first see Recent Topics. When I sign in at home I first see the Forum Index. Not really sure why that is, but perhaps it's adjustable from the sign-on screen?

I'll go on record as saying that I like the Politics section - I like looking through the US based posts, and there's often an international angle that makes them even more interesting.

John
2002 2455 Ciera

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 23:27 #14

• Nickdixon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Less than 650 days until retirement
  • Thank you received: 74
I don't frequent them much, but the political posts on BOC are really, really tame compared to the comments sections of online news services here in th US, such as cnn and foxnews and Nytimes. Some pretty good jokes at the expense of all sides although I admit right now anti-Obamacare is heavily treated. Just a function of the latest news cycle, I think. I do hear this kind of thing at marinas here in the Midwest US and even in the Bahamas, so it reflects at least a portion of the marina culture. But ultimately, the US in particular is engaged in a real political battle over the future direction of the culture (yes, international friends, I am aware that many of you view culture and US as being antithetical) and it's split pretty evenly from a population point of view. It's not a real surprise that these issues pop up whenever and however people gather. As a libertarian, all of the viewpoints seem extreme to me, but a political science professor once pointed out to me that extreme views today get hammered on until they break or eventually become the mainstream culture, usually many years later. We seem to just be doing the usual hammering here. Admittedly, the hammers seem to be coming down harder and faster these days. Hammer on, I say. But the NSA needs to be reined in. I think I DO have "an expectation of privacy" in my personal and business dealings on the internet and phone networks. Just hammering on that issue, you see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nile
Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
Alpha 1, Gen II
2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
(Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 23:31 #15

• hfxjack
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27

Chief Alen wrote: Let's hear from the international community, what say ye !

It's getting really old
John McLellan White Rock BC
"Halifax Jack"
1999 2855 383 stroker BII
MMSI 316004337

Boating or politics website? 02 Nov 2013 23:50 #16

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127

Saintjon wrote:

I.M.O

Don't look if you don't like. This topic has been beat to death. You can change the channel.

It's not that simple, you can open with new posts and you could see 15 posts from PP before you see a boating post.
I like the PP but wish it could be done as before but that is not possible. There aren't that many outside of the US that participate in the PP.

Ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: nile
Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 00:02 #17

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92
When I look at a sports channel on my TV, I don't expect to see cartoons or a movie.
Keep the movies on the movie channels, cartoons on appropriate channels and boating on BOC.

If you prefer politics to boating, may I quote one of you, change the channel.

At least, that's how I see it in Canada.

You wanted an opinion from the international community, you now have one.

Oakplank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iproff
Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 01:08 #18

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Unlike some sites, we welcome all comments as long as it fits the rules.

Isn't that one of the reasons this site is growing ?

Want info on how to fix a problem, just go into the tech forum.

Have a question about yachts, where else you going to get a more knowledgeable bunch of real life captains ? If they don't know the answer, there isn't one.

Those are just a few of the options available here.

I speak for myself, but what other site will allow you to post your opinion, and have fun, and get your answers to your questions ?

On top of that we have, experts on I.T working around the clock to bring us the best experience possible.

Have a I.T question Doug, Dave, Mike so many others will give you the fix.

And all this is free.

Don't want to open the PP forum... don't.

Don't want to watch a chick flick on TV... don't.

Don't want to watch a cooking show on TV...don't.

The Chief has spokin...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saintjon, robster_in_edmonds
Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 01:17 #19

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I don't think its the fact that one can or can not chose to read it or not.

There is no choice if you want to see what thread is what you have to read the title. I think people think its a waist of time to have to scroll pass a bunch of non related boating threads reading each one to see what it is.

Me if I chose the pp section at times I feel being political any other time its bothersome and even more so if I wasn't political.

Im sure some feel its like forcing religion upon them when they don't want it.

Sure we don't have to read it or open it but its still there and if we want to participate in the BOC we have to read which most of is crap the political thread titles to sort through the junk to get to a boating thread

Its like standing in the grocery line and having to look at what the kardashians ate for dinner last night. I guess if I didn't want to see it I could look at the ceiling . I would imagine most come here for boating and don't want to be bothered by other crap.
For me at times the BOC is an escape from the problems of the world but wait there it is again in my face .

I'm not sure I care that its there or not but I would prefer that it wasn't. I do think that when over half the threads are political its a bit too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rwarejr
1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 01:48 #20

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

yachtman wrote: I don't think its the fact that one can or can not chose to read it or not.

There is no choice if you want to see what thread is what you have to read the title. I think people think its a waist of time to have to scroll pass a bunch of non related boating threads reading each one to see what it is.

Me if I chose the pp section at times I feel being political any other time its bothersome and even more so if I wasn't political.

Sure we don't have to read it or open it but its still there and if we want to participate in the BOC we have to read which most of is crap the political thread titles to sort through the junk to get to a boating thread

Its like standing in the grocery line and having to look at what the kardashians ate for dinner last night. I guess if I didn't want to see it I could look at the ceiling . I would imagine most come here for boating and don't want to be bothered by other crap.
For me at times the BOC is an escape from the problems of the world but wait there it is again in my face .

I'm not sure I care that its there or not but I would prefer that it wasn't. I do think that when over half the threads are political its a bit too much.

Right now 9 of the top ten topics are not political.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robster_in_edmonds
46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
― Bob Marley

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 02:01 #21

• jamie mac
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13

hfxjack wrote:

Chief Alen wrote: Let's hear from the international community, what say ye !

It's getting really old

i agree when i was young and full of piss and vinegor i would debate politics but now i know it is a waste of time.
[/U]
BYEBYEBLUE 2011 DISCOVERY 266 350 MAG B3
BEACHPOINT,PEI,CANADA
PREVIOUS BAYLINERS
1997 BAYLINER 175 3.0 L
1996 BAYLINER 1952 3.0L
2009 BAYLINER DISCOVERY 4.3L
2006 MAINSHIP RUMRUNNER

I AM THE CAPTAIN AS LONG AS MY WIFE GIVES ME PERMISSION

JAMIE AND LIZ MAC KINNON
http://cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 02:04 #22

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

Saintjon wrote:

yachtman wrote: I don't think its the fact that one can or can not chose to read it or not.

Right now 9 of the top ten topics are not political.

Are you trying to convince me or yourself :)

It doesn't matter that much to me I said my preference but I'm not the one making the decisions.

The norm is half or more political lately . So right now is an exception.
1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 02:10 #23

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116
Lets see if I can make this simple. :angry:

We cant go back to the way it was before !
We cant hide the PP posts on the Recent Topics page !
We cant cater to everybody's individual tastes and preferences as to what they see in Recent Topics !

If you don't want to see PP or any other category go to the Index Page. It will show you what is new in what category ! Simply click on that category or click on the Last Post in that category !
If there were as many posts posted about boating by the people who are complaining they don't want to see PP posts at the top of the Recent Topics Page there wouldn't be any PP posts at the top of the page. Don't like what you see POST SOMETHING ABOUT BOATING !
Finally it cant be changed until the Software Vendor makes a change so continued gripping about it wont result in a different outcome.

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 02:44 #24

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127

crowder.dr wrote: Lets see if I can make this simple. :angry:

We cant go back to the way it was before !
We cant hide the PP posts on the Recent Topics page !
We cant cater to everybody's individual tastes and preferences as to what they see in Recent Topics !

If you don't want to see PP or any other category go to the Index Page. It will show you what is new in what category ! Simply click on that category or click on the Last Post in that category !
If there were as many posts posted about boating by the people who are complaining they don't want to see PP posts at the top of the Recent Topics Page there wouldn't be any PP posts at the top of the page. Don't like what you see POST SOMETHING ABOUT BOATING !
Finally it cant be changed until the Software Vendor makes a change so continued gripping about it wont result in a different outcome.

Dave everyone understands we can't go back but there are people that don't want politics on a boating forum. It was asked and answered for international comments. Maybe people should move over to CBOC no politics and a great bunch of people, lost of us got our boating fill when BOC was down. The link is in Dave's signature.
I do like the PP section but could live without it if it comes to that.

Ken
Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

Boating or politics website? 03 Nov 2013 03:06 #25

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
This subject has been bitched about a few times before, PP is here to stay. I know if I see a PP post, I go partially blind... Not really, but most boating forum sites, gun forum sites and other forums have a non-subject forums.

When the software allows it, we will block the PP forum from those that don't want to see or be blinded by PP. I will even block Dock Walk because some don't like to see jokes on a boating forum... Some don't like to see bow riders and lake style platoon boats. So I will block them as well... (well, maybe not those)...

But I hope everyone gets my point. PP is here to stay. It is not going away. Dock walk is here to stay, its not going away. I suggest what Dave said until we can do something about it... Our software is evolving weekly. We have asked the guys that do this software for a solution. When it comes we will do something about it. Until then, I am closing this thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robster_in_edmonds
Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds