Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sea Pump replacement

Sea Pump replacement 14 Oct 2013 17:34 #1

• irocz18
  • irocz18's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys,

So I pulled my boat out of the water a few weeks ago. During winterization my mechanic noticed that my sea pump was leaking out the side of it. He said I am looking at with parts and labor in the spring about 600-700 repair? I went online to look for a sea pump/water pump which I believe and i have found many under $200. I went down to the boat yesterday and looked on the motor. I have a 1999 bayliner 2855 with the 7.4 MPI motor. Is the sea pump on the bottom driver side or the bottom passenger side? Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to buy one myself and install it since Looking at them online they cant be that hard to do since its driven by a pully its on the front side of the motor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has pictures of where this is that would be awesome!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by irocz18.

Sea Pump replacement 14 Oct 2013 22:02 #2

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82

irocz18 wrote: Hi Guys,

So I pulled my boat out of the water a few weeks ago. During winterization my mechanic noticed that my sea pump was leaking out the side of it. He said I am looking at with parts and labor in the spring about 600-700 repair? I went online to look for a sea pump/water pump which I believe and i have found many under $200. I went down to the boat yesterday and looked on the motor. I have a 1999 bayliner 2855 with the 7.4 MPI motor. Is the sea pump on the bottom driver side or the bottom passenger side? Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to buy one myself and install it since Looking at them online they cant be that hard to do since its driven by a pully its on the front side of the motor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has pictures of where this is that would be awesome!!

Price sounds about right...just had mine done 5l MPI. I don't know where it is on the 7.4 but on the 5l its a pita. Right down low almost under the engine. starborad side. I had the mechanic do it during the service. Not some thing I want to attempt.

David
1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Sea Pump replacement 15 Oct 2013 14:21 #3

• K9Bait
  • Thank you received: 0
Just replaced the impeller on my 1999 2855 as well. The replacement is very straightforward but gaining access to the pump is a challenge. It is located on the lower left front side of the block (when facing the engine) just behind the fuel/water seperator filter. The filter and its plastic housing had to be removed first. This job would better be handled by a midget contortionist with some mechanical ability but since I couldn't find one I called on one of my son's friends who happens not only to be a mechanic, but at half my age is more than twice as flexible :-) Picked up the new impeller at a local supplier for $185 which includes the new housing and face plate as well. Since the boat is in the water we had to plug the inlet line to the pump immediately after disconnecting it from the pump housing. The rest of the installation took approx. 35-45 minutes which included installing a fresh fuel filter as well. Here is a short video from YouTube that gives step by step directions. Only unfair advantage of the video is that the engine is out of the boat!

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sea Pump replacement 15 Oct 2013 15:55 #4

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
If you have the space in front of the engine, give this idea a consideration.

www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ump-installed-on-6-2

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Sea Pump replacement 16 Oct 2013 19:33 #5

• Rock
  • Thank you received: 2
Where are u pricing a sea water pump for $200?? I will buy a spare for that price. Sure u are not looking at the engine water pump which is about $200. A sea water pump is about $500.
Rock

RocksRide
[/SIZE]
2004/289 350 MPI Bravo 2
Tow Vehicle 2006 Dodge 4 x 4 3500 QC Cummins Power
Tri axle alum with Kodiak SS Disc
"Life's tough and even tougher if you're stupid!
John Wayne

Sea Pump replacement 17 Oct 2013 17:58 #6

• Black Creek
  • Thank you received: 11
Here is a pump that could be an option. Haven't tried it myself but it is an interesting alternative.

www.cpperformance.com/p-15774-stainless-...496-and-502-mag.aspx

2005 2359 Trophy Pro
"Amigo"
B lll 5 ltr.
1998 2452 (Sold) "Island Time"
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds