Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly...

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 30 Sep 2013 13:53 #1

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
[FONT="]All vBulletin Forums, Topics, Posts, Users etc. will be converted to Kunena. Forum[/FONT]ó[FONT="]Topic relationships will be kept the same. All Posts will be attached to the correct Users. The Usernames will be moved without any changes, passwords will be changed and generated randomly, we will provide you gConverter tool to send these new passwords to owners with their email addresses, so you will just click on "send new passwords" button and all users will get "New Password Notification" email, thus they will be able to login with their username and new passwords without any problem.[/FONT]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 30 Sep 2013 22:44 #2

• nile
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Last time the BOC migrated I lost my photo album and had to open a new one. How to make sure it will, this time, be forwarded to the new BOC?

NILE
1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
Fort Lauderdale Florida

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 02:08 #3

• mortonmanor
  • Thank you received: 0

Go Aweigh2452;812613 wrote: [FONT=&]All vBulletin Forums, Topics, Posts, Users etc. will be converted to Kunena. [/FONT]

Doug, when do you think the conversion will take place? Should we continue to post on this site or wait?

What advantages will we see with the new site? Better mobile support (I would definitely like that).

If there have been answered elsewhere forgive me.

Good on you all for continuing to keeping this site moving forward.

David
1990 4588 "Salty Dog"
Past Commodore Puget Sound YC

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 02:54 #4

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

mortonmanor;812759 wrote: Doug, when do you think the conversion will take place? Should we continue to post on this site or wait?

What advantages will we see with the new site? Better mobile support (I would definitely like that).

If there have been answered elsewhere forgive me.

Good on you all for continuing to keeping this site moving forward.

Continue to post on this site. The past couple of days will not forward over but you'll get answers to what questions members have now...

Go to joomla.com to see what is available. It is virtually unlimited... It will take time to build in all the goodies... Mobile support is in there (there is an app for that, actually several iphone and android too) as well as the ability to build a feed like facebook and pineterest into your very own profile so you can be on BOC and get a FB alert... (in work and will be available after initial launch...)... RSS feeds, map plug ins like google maps and others...,

Check out these extensions that are available but will take a little while to include... http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 03:44 #5

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259

nile;812708 wrote: Last time the BOC migrated I lost my photo album and had to open a new one. How to make sure it will, this time, be forwarded to the new BOC?

Doug has been saying to back up your album. I just can't figure out how.

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 05:06 #6

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

JimMc;812787 wrote: Doug has been saying to back up your album. I just can't figure out how.

Go to your profile and if you have an album, you can save photos one at a time. If you go into one of your posts, go advanced and below look for manage attachments. you can save them one at a time.

There is no easy way to do this.

We may be able to save members photos. We are working that now. Worse case, we will save the albums that were paid albums way back in history.

I asked that members save the photos they want to keep in case I can not save the photos in the migration... Reason is we pay very big bucks for a larger storage... Not sure we can support an annual donation request to get to those kinds of amounts... We will not go with ads in order to help offset hosting, etc... So, we either try to offset costs of a larger storage through donations or ask that members host them on other free hosting sites and link to them... I prefer to keep photos on our site...

So bottom line, we will try to keep members photos and see if we can raise enough donations to support the site...

We may be able to get around the storage by removing photos of members that have not been active the past three or more years... Not sure if I can find those members since the new forum is a steep learning curve right now...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 10:49 #7

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Good luck, and of course Thank You again.

I surely hope that my thingys get left behind! :D

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'97 Bayliner Empress Ciera 2859
Unnamed!
Bravo II Drive ~ 7.4 375HP Mercruiser

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 13:40 #8

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
. . . wow . . . . there are sooooo many comments that come to mind right now, Sarah . . . :hopelessness:

thanks, Doug . . . for all that you and the other guys do (how many are there, anyway?) in the background so we can enjoy our "hobby" . . . . I really don't think that a yearly donation is "out of the question" . . . . heck, I spend money on a lot more stupid stuff than this forum and I can honestly say - I enjoy this more!

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 14:48 #9

• Skua
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I know there already is a link, but a big splash screen, might be helpful.

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 01 Oct 2013 16:29 #10

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Skua;812859 wrote: I know there already is a link, but a big splash screen, might be helpful.

LOL... we will probably migrate first... too busy to get that started right now...

Just want to let everyone know that once the new site is on line, we will be building it up to include a lot of good stuff but it won't launch out of the box like that. We want a stable platform and build on that. Mobile support for all cell phone devices, RSS feeds, direct FB alerts and or posts and other social media in your own profile if you want, tides & weather for your area, news, even games.

It will be a process that we will work on for a long time to get to where a vast majority of members are comfortable...

Before everyone gets crazy on costs... 99.9% of these and other features are free...

We intend to keep costs down and only pay for independent cloud hosting and tighter security that is updated automatically by the host company... In fact our new host actually develops their own fixes for spammers and hackers sometimes before they become apparent to forum developers...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What to expect when we migrate to our new forum shortly... 02 Oct 2013 12:19 #11

• nile
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Why not finding a way to automatically send an annual reminder to album owners that a donation would be most welcome? without this migration stuff I would not have seen I was long overdue:oop-

NILE
1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
Fort Lauderdale Florida

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds