Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party.

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 02:14 #1

• ishiboo
  • ishiboo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
I'm sure this was beaten to DEATH many times when this happened, but I was gone... so I'll complain now. :arr

Whoever thought it was a bright idea to require registration for the "technical" sub forum - it wasn't. What's even more terrible than this is the fact that no exception is made for search spiders, which means the vast amount of useless rants and helpful advice to boaters who are Googling, Binging or the 10 left who still use Yahoo! will not find the answer on the BOC like they did before. I don't see how this is possibly good for anyone. How does anyone benefit from this even? The knowledge shared in the technical discussion forum should NOT be hidden from people looking for help, advice, etc.

Positive comment - I don't seem to get logged out every 11 seconds, "remember me's" be damned - whoever fixed that - thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 02:20 #2

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
BTW... I think this is akin to a public library hiding their most useful books where you can't find them :P

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 03:04 #3

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
The registration is required for certain forums, to try to encourage people that search the forum to joining our community. So far it has had excellent results with a solid increase in registrations.

You being logged out every 11 seconds most likely was due to old cookies, if you have issues like that be sure to clear your inet history and cookies.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 03:39 #4

• ViperSpec
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
So, no offense, but it is just a chase for "stats?" Just because registration is up, doesn't mean you are necessarily getting an increase in the active user-base. Do you have any numbers on how much of that increased registration population is actually sticking around, asking questions or contributing to the community? Yes, it may seem like a good idea on the surface, but at the same time it typically only ends up being surface deep anyways. Just some food for thought based on some experience on other forums and sites.

~Jon :cool:
1980 Santiago 2250 Offshore/Fisherman. Merc. 228 (GM305) w/ SE106 (Alpha 1 Gen 1)

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 03:40 #5

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
BFD if they register - it doesn't mean they will contribute.

I have registered at dozens of sites but I bring no value to the site by being "registered" except for those that are marketing themselves for ad revenues/sponsors which BOC has said they are not doing.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 12:58 #6

• dmcb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
Likely a good thought about the numbers and what they mean about contributing.
I visit a lot of sites when I need answers. Truck, tractor, dozers, and so on. I have no interest in contributing to these sites but they do give valuable information. So I become a member and add to the list but unless a question now and then adds value, I contribute nothing.
If I have an interest or something to contribute, I would join anyway.
To me, this is the value of keeping old members. They do contribute.
We are all a "flash in the pan" on some sites. Nothing different here either.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 13:20 #7

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116
I think hiding all the technical information on BOC is a great idea :eek:

:pop

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 13:50 #8

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
What exactly is the complaint ?

That you have to take all of 3 minutes to register maybe one minute ?

Then you have access to information you want ?

Really i think it took longer for you to post your complaint.

Thank you for the feedback but if i get a vote... mine is to keep it the way it is.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 14:27 #9

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
With the new software upgrade in February, we also stopped the search engines and spiders (read that spam for us that run this site) down to ZERO. Closing the Technical and Completed Projects has NOTHING to do with finding them via Yahoo, Google, or Bing. By closing BOC from the search engines, we stopped the spam big time. Type in Bayliner in your favorite search engine and you will find BOC about mid page or lower and that is just to the splash page. That in itself is another barrier to spammers having to go through a splash page to register and have spam in their signatures or posts...

As far as numbers, when I volunteered to Administer this site, we were getting about 5 new members every day (about half were spammers). I deleted well over 15,000-17,000 non-contributors/spammers awaiting registration or validation. Our total was around 28,500+ members. We are currently over 13,000 real members and climbing. I guarantee other sites do not bother cleaning up the bad registrations and you can tell by comparing our total threads and active members compared to those other sites. You will see high membership numbers on most sites and anyone that registers (be it a spammer, genuine member, or just someone that is interested in gaining information) counts in that total. (Ours reflects real members). At the time, we had the old software and were getting almost one spammer for every one genuine member. As you can probably tell, I don't give a rat about the total number of members but do care about those that contribute.

I locked down the Technical and Completed Projects to see if it would encourage new registrations starting in March and we have continued with an average daily increase of 15 valid registrations every day and one or two spammers out of every 75-80 registrations. Those guys are deleted and banned to include their IP and the IP range as well. So you can throw your theories about membership out the window. FWIW, I clean up old memberships who don't contribute as well. Granted a few that have not contributed the past year or so have asked me to look for their registerations because they "forgot" their log in info... Actually, their accounts were probably deleted for inactivity. I don't keep those numbers so not sure how many of those I re-register. I can say I did two of those the past two days. They had not been online since Nov 2010 and October 2010 from what I recall.

Another advantage is if someone is registered and they take away something in completed projects or technical or other areas of BOC, they are more inclined to post their completed projects or post in other boat related areas. Maybe its just me but I see several newbees each week asking for help or just sharing their love of Bayliners.

So, is it madness to my method or method to my madness? Yes, It adds a lot of time to my devotion to this site and administer it daily, spending way too much of my time on it... (at least according to my wife).

Ryan is looking into the lack of ability to report posts in all forums and will be developing a new default color scheme which seems to be the cause of not having some options you all should see/have (to include tapatalk).

You may not like the upcoming default color scheme but it is so tied into the software that it is very hard to not delete some feature as the colors are being manipulated for everyone.

Possibly the new improved software will take care of this also. We will be upgrading the software once more shortly... We are currently two upgrades behind but since I see no or just a few spammers, I'm OK with not messing with the site for now. I'll ask Ryan if he would rather upgrade the site and see what happens to the default colors vice spending hours and hours on the colors now and having to change again shortly when the software is upgraded...

Sorry for the long post but I want to ensure everyone that I and the BOC team are doing everything we can to make BOC the best best boating forum/experience out there.... we will remain ad free and subscription free while I stay on as administrator. We will remain donation only. If you notice, we don't even spam your email addresses like other sites do at times to sell you something...

BTW, we do have a store and you could order a BOC mug or other items for Fathers day for your selves or significant others. We break even on these sales... zero gain... so check out the store and order some mugs for the boat or pennant flags...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 14:30 #10

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

dmcb;684013 wrote: Likely a good thought about the numbers and what they mean about contributing.
I visit a lot of sites when I need answers. Truck, tractor, dozers, and so on. I have no interest in contributing to these sites but they do give valuable information. So I become a member and add to the list but unless a question now and then adds value, I contribute nothing.
If I have an interest or something to contribute, I would join anyway.
To me, this is the value of keeping old members. They do contribute.
We are all a "flash in the pan" on some sites. Nothing different here either.
Doug

Yep.
I just joined a Lincoln forum to hopefully solve an issue that I'm having with our Mk VIII. So far, the guys have been great.
However, I am not able to contribute, so I'm a taker... not a giver there.
We aren't all that different here.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 15:01 #11

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Chief Alen;684023 wrote: What exactly is the complaint ?

That you have to take all of 3 minutes to register maybe one minute ?

Then you have access to information you want ?

Really i think it took longer for you to post your complaint.

Thank you for the feedback but if i get a vote... mine is to keep it the way it is.

No. You've completely missed the point - it's not about users registering.

If someone types in "Bayliner windshield leak" in Google, they will NOT get results from the BOC technical section. I don't care if the user needs to register - a spider should not. IMO the #1 purpose of the BOC is to share the wealth of knowledge the BOC has - if people can't easily find it, it does them no good. Google is also a far better search engine than vBulletin's total piece. (They should use Sphinx by default!) This content should be search engine indexed - if you need to register to read it, that's certainly not my preference but not a huge problem for me.

Go Aweigh2452;684030 wrote: With the new software upgrade in February, we also stopped the search engines and spiders (read that spam for us that run this site) down to ZERO. Closing the Technical and Completed Projects has NOTHING to do with finding them via Yahoo, Google, or Bing. By closing BOC from the search engines, we stopped the spam big time. Type in Bayliner in your favorite search engine and you will find BOC about mid page or lower and that is just to the splash page. That in itself is another barrier to spammers having to go through a splash page to register and have spam in their signatures or posts...

As far as numbers, when I volunteered to Administer this site, we were getting about 5 new members every day (about half were spammers). I deleted well over 15,000-17,000 non-contributors/spammers awaiting registration or validation. Our total was around 28,500+ members. We are currently over 13,000 real members and climbing. I guarantee other sites do not bother cleaning up the bad registrations and you can tell by comparing our total threads and active members compared to those other sites. You will see high membership numbers on most sites and anyone that registers (be it a spammer, genuine member, or just someone that is interested in gaining information) counts in that total. (Ours reflects real members). At the time, we had the old software and were getting almost one spammer for every one genuine member. As you can probably tell, I don't give a rat about the total number of members but do care about those that contribute.

I locked down the Technical and Completed Projects to see if it would encourage new registrations starting in March and we have continued with an average daily increase of 15 valid registrations every day and one or two spammers out of every 75-80 registrations. Those guys are deleted and banned to include their IP and the IP range as well. So you can throw your theories about membership out the window. FWIW, I clean up old memberships who don't contribute as well. Granted a few that have not contributed the past year or so have asked me to look for their registerations because they "forgot" their log in info... Actually, their accounts were probably deleted for inactivity. I don't keep those numbers so not sure how many of those I re-register. I can say I did two of those the past two days. They had not been online since Nov 2010 and October 2010 from what I recall.

Another advantage is if someone is registered and they take away something in completed projects or technical or other areas of BOC, they are more inclined to post their completed projects or post in other boat related areas. Maybe its just me but I see several newbees each week asking for help or just sharing their love of Bayliners.

So, is it madness to my method or method to my madness? Yes, It adds a lot of time to my devotion to this site and administer it daily, spending way too much of my time on it... (at least according to my wife).

Ryan is looking into the lack of ability to report posts in all forums and will be developing a new default color scheme which seems to be the cause of not having some options you all should see/have (to include tapatalk).

You may not like the upcoming default color scheme but it is so tied into the software that it is very hard to not delete some feature as the colors are being manipulated for everyone.

Possibly the new improved software will take care of this also. We will be upgrading the software once more shortly... We are currently two upgrades behind but since I see no or just a few spammers, I'm OK with not messing with the site for now. I'll ask Ryan if he would rather upgrade the site and see what happens to the default colors vice spending hours and hours on the colors now and having to change again shortly when the software is upgraded...

Sorry for the long post but I want to ensure everyone that I and the BOC team are doing everything we can to make BOC the best best boating forum/experience out there.... we will remain ad free and subscription free while I stay on as administrator. We will remain donation only. If you notice, we don't even spam your email addresses like other sites do at times to sell you something...

BTW, we do have a store and you could order a BOC mug or other items for Fathers day for your selves or significant others. We break even on these sales... zero gain... so check out the store and order some mugs for the boat or pennant flags...

Closing the entire BOC to search engines is rather like cutting off the aft half of your boat because you have engine problems... not the best way to deal with spam, and look at what you all loose. I am CTO of a company who also has a vBulletin forum with over 2 million members (and growing by 3-4k per day)... I don't handle spam/etc. but our community rep who does spends maybe 20 minutes a day on cleaning stuff up. Content-related post issues are self-reported by members when staff isn't looking, and the registration process locks out all the automated registrations - add a solid captcha and require email verification before posting, and the issues would basically go away. You should not have to look through every member who joins and pick through them with a fine-tooth comb.

biohazard;683947 wrote: The registration is required for certain forums, to try to encourage people that search the forum to joining our community. So far it has had excellent results with a solid increase in registrations.

You being logged out every 11 seconds most likely was due to old cookies, if you have issues like that be sure to clear your inet history and cookies.

I disagree with the concept, but requiring users to register isn't my beef.

Never a cookie problem... I regularly have to test our new features as they go out and clear cookies and use every browser imaginable, though I spent most of my time here in Safari. Again, the problem is completely gone with the vBulletin upgrade. :)

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 15:30 #12

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
It is what it is guys, love you all specially you ish :)

It has had a positive effect on the site thus far. I hear where your coming from but this system has been working very well for us thus far so we are going to stick with it.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 16:19 #13

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

biohazard;684048 wrote: It is what it is guys, love you all specially you ish :)

It has had a positive effect on the site thus far. I hear where your coming from but this system has been working very well for us thus far so we are going to stick with it.

Same to you... I appreciate the effort you and everyone else puts in (even Pier Pressure, misguided as it is!), I just reserve the right to disagree with some of the many decisions that have to be made :) People think offering a differing view point means I don't respect or am not thankful for the BOC, not true.

I realize it works great for you, but not for the people who are trying to find the relevant info that members have shared. How did you find the BOC? I can't remember how I did, but I'll bet it was from Googling for something and coming to a thread. I can't imagine thinking hey, I bet there's a club online just for owners of this specific brand. Frankly, I could even care less that anyone here is a Bayliner owner... the reason I'm here is not for the brand, but for the fact that I think this is one of the best resources for boating on the Internet - projects, technical help, etc... stuff I don't want to see buried from others. The thought of closing an entire forum full of some of the most useful information to the search engines just blows my mind. THT, CSR, iBoats, Reel, BoatUS, Boatered, etc... are ALL search engine indexed, as are just about all forums outside of probably things like extremists, pornography, terrorism, etc. that people don't want found :) None of them have significant SPAM issues that would have to be dealt with by reducing search traffic. Sure, for some more traffic means more profitability, but our goal is more contributing registrations to encourage people to participate with projects, technical help, etc... you don't do that from hiding from them!

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 16:56 #14

• RickO1
My two cents...

As a new Bayliner owner this site has been invalubale to me. It is comforting even for some of us "newbies" to be able to pick the brains of so many experienced and talented people.

SO take a chill pill all and think for 10 seconds what it would be like to not be able to access BOC.

I, for one, am hugely grateful to our site administrator. Keep up the good work and...

THANK YOU

Rick

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 17:08 #15

• ViperSpec
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ishiboo;684065 wrote: Same to you... I appreciate the effort you and everyone else puts in (even Pier Pressure, misguided as it is!), I just reserve the right to disagree with some of the many decisions that have to be made :) People think offering a differing view point means I don't respect or am not thankful for the BOC, not true.

I realize it works great for you, but not for the people who are trying to find the relevant info that members have shared. How did you find the BOC? I can't remember how I did, but I'll bet it was from Googling for something and coming to a thread. I can't imagine thinking hey, I bet there's a club online just for owners of this specific brand. Frankly, I could even care less that anyone here is a Bayliner owner... the reason I'm here is not for the brand, but for the fact that I think this is one of the best resources for boating on the Internet - projects, technical help, etc... stuff I don't want to see buried from others. The thought of closing an entire forum full of some of the most useful information to the search engines just blows my mind. THT, CSR, iBoats, Reel, BoatUS, Boatered, etc... are ALL search engine indexed, as are just about all forums outside of probably things like extremists, pornography, terrorism, etc. that people don't want found :) None of them have significant SPAM issues that would have to be dealt with by reducing search traffic. Sure, for some more traffic means more profitability, but our goal is more contributing registrations to encourage people to participate with projects, technical help, etc... you don't do that from hiding from them!

I do remember how I found it, doing research through google on an issue and being sent to a specific thread. I will often search for discussions on google to look for different thoughts and opinions on a topic or issue or product. If it wasn't for that, I may not have found this place so readily myself. But, that is me.

~Jon :cool:
1980 Santiago 2250 Offshore/Fisherman. Merc. 228 (GM305) w/ SE106 (Alpha 1 Gen 1)

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 17:57 #16

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Rick O;684068 wrote: My two cents...

As a new Bayliner owner this site has been invalubale to me. It is comforting even for some of us "newbies" to be able to pick the brains of so many experienced and talented people.

SO take a chill pill all and think for 10 seconds what it would be like to not be able to access BOC.

I, for one, am hugely grateful to our site administrator. Keep up the good work and...

THANK YOU

Rick

You've completely missed the point, while enhancing what I said by accident... the changes that were made could make it so you (and other "newbies" looking for info, solutions, etc.) wouldn't have found the BOC in the first place.

I'm just voicing a difference in opinion, which does not equate to me not being thankful for the BOC and staff and what they all do - if I wasn't, I'd go elsewhere. I'm not sure why disagreeing with something automatically makes you ungrateful for something you got "for free."

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 18:04 #17

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
FWIW, we use the email verification and everything ishiboo mentioned. If I want to give up checking IP's I will at some point. That is my choice. I do understand and hear the frustrations that a select few seem to have. Our decisions are based on the majority of users. Sure, we can fully automate the registration system and have to some extent.

You all want to report spammers after they post, fine by me. It takes me a few minutes to clear the spammers and a lot more time answering registration questions from members who forgot their log in info and mess up the verification emails sent out when that happens, etc. Not everyone is computer savy.

Anyone is welcome to put up a poll and ask if they had difficulty finding BOC or if they want easier access via the web or inside BOC to search for information. I really don't see the value in using a search engine to get into BOC? There are many good resources out there that people can use to find answers to leaky windshields, etc.

The decisions on this site are not made without input from mods etc on our own administration forum closed to the general membership. Many of these decisions came from the mods themselves... we banter around the ideas and test the waters. We will continue to evolve. If the mods decide at some point to allow search engines to find us, so be it.

BTW, anyone wanting to become a MOD in a particular area, I'm up for that.
On another topic:

FWIW, PierPressure as well as every Mod on this site does an outstanding job and I personally dislike degrading comments about Mods in open forums. You are welcome to your inputs but I suggest they are sent via PM and not publicly announced. Its certainly uncalled for and I challenge anyone to give me a valid reason why it should be posted in an open forum. It shows disrespect of a fellow member and there is no way to justify a jab like that except to validate ones self esteem (if I could call it that).

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 18:06 #18

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
I found BOC through GOOGLE looking to solve and issue with my boat, I may have never registered if I had not found that tech. answer, it is called free advertising.
That being said once they find BOC, to access the tech. section in BOC, they should register.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 19:03 #19

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Go Aweigh2452;684096 wrote: FWIW, we use the email verification and everything ishiboo mentioned. If I want to give up checking IP's I will at some point. That is my choice. I do understand and hear the frustrations that a select few seem to have. Our decisions are based on the majority of users. Sure, we can fully automate the registration system and have to some extent.

You all want to report spammers after they post, fine by me. It takes me a few minutes to clear the spammers and a lot more time answering registration questions from members who forgot their log in info and mess up the verification emails sent out when that happens, etc. Not everyone is computer savy.

Anyone is welcome to put up a poll and ask if they had difficulty finding BOC or if they want easier access via the web or inside BOC to search for information. I really don't see the value in using a search engine to get into BOC? There are many good resources out there that people can use to find answers to leaky windshields, etc.

The decisions on this site are not made without input from mods etc on our own administration forum closed to the general membership. Many of these decisions came from the mods themselves... we banter around the ideas and test the waters. We will continue to evolve. If the mods decide at some point to allow search engines to find us, so be it.

BTW, anyone wanting to become a MOD in a particular area, I'm up for that.

I didn't see a captcha, perhaps it's after you click the confirmation link. Robots have a very easy time receiving and clicking a pre-formatted vBulletin registration email, they have a harder time answering captchas. I'm not saying that people should report them as the primary, I'm saying that it could be done ahead of time to reduce the # of spammers who join and making it more difficult for them to automate spamming us. As wingless has pointed out, a "report post" option goes a long way in making things less work for the few moderators to moderate when you have many people able to assist for the few which do get through. Given the amount of non computer-savvy members, it's not a surprise that people are not up in arms over the fact that you've blocked search indexing of the forums, but that does not make it any less correct :)

I've never even heard of a forum reducing spam by having everything removed from Google.

Everyone seems to think that I have some personal benefit to having the site indexed - guess what folks, I already know the BOC is here. This is for new members who don't, so they can find the site and answers to the questions they need. If you don't see the value of using a search engine to find the BOC and perhaps an answer to your question, than this discussion is dead in the water and the decision that was made is no surprise whatsoever. :surr

FWIW, PierPressure as well as every Mod on this site does an outstanding job and I personally dislike degrading comments about Mods in open forums. You are welcome to your inputs but I suggest they are sent via PM and not publicly announced. Its certainly uncalled for and I challenge anyone to give me a valid reason why it should be posted in an open forum. It shows disrespect of a fellow member and there is no way to justify a jab like that except to validate ones self esteem (if I could call it that).

That did come out a bit degrading, and for that I apologize. I don't think it's anything private that some of the moderation has previously been somewhat controversial, and I simply meant a light joke to that effect... that even though we all may disagree at times, I appreciate his effort and respect what he does. Without a doubt, you can never please everyone and I don't expect anyone to agree with me even half the time.

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 23:16 #20

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116

Go Aweigh2452;684096 wrote: I really don't see the value in using a search engine to get into BOC? There are many good resources out there that people can use to find answers to leaky windshields, etc.

I totaly agree :D Why would anyone use a search engine on the internet to find anything related to their boat issue. What a waste of time:D

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 12 May 2012 23:33 #21

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355

crowder.dr;684156 wrote: I totaly agree :D Why would anyone use a search engine on the internet to find anything related to their boat issue. What a waste of time:D

Thumbs up. +1.
I cannot give you a rep point because even though I have not given ayone one in over a week, I must find someone to give a rep and spread it around; so I will just give and see if I can give when I feel it is right or wrong so I can give when a deserved comment can get one.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 13 May 2012 00:13 #22

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
We don't use captcha as we use a question bank instead which requires human input. A computer could never answer the questions correctly (at least not yet). We have also gone to automatic registration without Admin required to accept new members via email as was the standard since BOC inception. I still monitor who registers.. as ishiboo has pointed out, it only takes a short period of time to do that IP check. Eventually, I intend to block out entire country code IP's from places like India, China and Pakistan. That should eliminate 99.99999% of where spammers are coming from to register on BOC. At least that has been my experience since December...

As far as the "report post" option... that went away inadvertently with the latest change to the default skin and will return shortly with the VB software upgrade sometime really soon as well as some other issues we have experienced when the default skin was changed.

:hor- I'm done...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 13 May 2012 02:23 #23

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Go Aweigh2452;684165 wrote: :hor- I'm done...

Now you know why I originally posted this to the dock walk... I knew it would end up as it did :D

The new BOC complaints... yes, I'm late to the party. 11 Jun 2012 04:40 #24

• garball
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
I've have to agree with ishiboo on this one. I think it's more important to have the site indexed, just my 2 cents.

Gary

BTW, very appreciative of the work the mods and admins do.

Album at:
1985 Bayliner Contessa Flybridge, Volvoized 2015 Mercruiser Mag 383, DP-A outdrive and very cool interior. MMSI 316 020 066
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds