Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: On first of April 2012

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 06:12 #1

  • Guest
  • Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If I understand it all correctly, the BOC changing name, moving, or whatever the kerfuffel, was an April fools practical joke. Some people appreciate practical jokes, some do not, but in society, practical jokes do have their place. Do they have a place in a relatively technical public forum such as the BOC? I suppose it depends on the outlook of the majority of the people contributing to the forum.

I for one, did not appreciate it. It's not a big deal, didn't get me all bent out of shape about it, but I think it necessary to voice my opinion that I found it somewhat in bad taste and bad form. I expect to be quite in the minority in my opinion here but the opinion might be of interest to the moderators.

There is a fine line between being too serious and not serious enough. This may have just crossed that line to where credibility might come into question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 06:50 #2

  • Scary
  • Scary's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1399
  • Thank you received: 6

RJH;671532 wrote: If I understand it all correctly, the BOC changing name, moving, or whatever the kerfuffel, was an April fools practical joke. Some people appreciate practical jokes, some do not, but in society, practical jokes do have their place. Do they have a place in a relatively technical public forum such as the BOC? I suppose it depends on the outlook of the majority of the people contributing to the forum.

I for one, did not appreciate it. It's not a big deal, didn't get me all bent out of shape about it, but I think it necessary to voice my opinion that I found it somewhat in bad taste and bad form. I expect to be quite in the minority in my opinion here but the opinion might be of interest to the moderators.

There is a fine line between being too serious and not serious enough. This may have just crossed that line to where credibility might come into question.



I think those of us that have been members of some time would have or should have realized that nothing around here changes without considerable input from members of this forum. There would be days of discussion prior to any radical changes. I thought things were getting a little stale and even though I wasn't in on the joke, I have to say it was very entertaining to say the least. I'm sorry you didn't get it. Hell I learned about a new forum which I promptly joined.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 06:56 #3

  • RGrew176
  • RGrew176's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 6520
  • Thank you received: 335

RJH;671532 wrote: If I understand it all correctly, the BOC changing name, moving, or whatever the kerfuffel, was an April fools practical joke. Some people appreciate practical jokes, some do not, but in society, practical jokes do have their place. Do they have a place in a relatively technical public forum such as the BOC? I suppose it depends on the outlook of the majority of the people contributing to the forum.

I for one, did not appreciate it. It's not a big deal, didn't get me all bent out of shape about it, but I think it necessary to voice my opinion that I found it somewhat in bad taste and bad form. I expect to be quite in the minority in my opinion here but the opinion might be of interest to the moderators.

There is a fine line between being too serious and not serious enough. This may have just crossed that line to where credibility might come into question.


I don't believe you are in the minority. We were pranked and we were pranked good. Was it in good taste? I will leave it at that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 11:13 #4

  • Chief Alen
  • Chief Alen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Posts: 10326
  • Thank you received: 1079
I see it this way and i am a moderator......I wasn't " in " on the joke, i did not comment till now.

It's over i got a chuckle out of the whole thing and i think it's time to let it go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 12:34 #5

  • biohazard
  • biohazard's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 4705
  • Thank you received: 1

Chief Alen;671548 wrote: I see it this way and i am a moderator......I wasn't " in " on the joke, i did not comment till now.

It's over i got a chuckle out of the whole thing and i think it's time to let it go.


be sure to read that admin forum next time ;) You should have access now, if you dont pm me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 13:17 #6

  • Pau Hana
  • Pau Hana's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 2368
  • Thank you received: 44
Don't let it fester, guys- let it go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pete
Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!
1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries." - Churchill
Like us on Facebook- ...

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 22:40 #7

  • LazyCrusr
  • LazyCrusr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 2681
  • Thank you received: 65
I was fooled and I readily admit it.
Once I found out it was a gag I didn't think it particularly funny but I did recognize it for what it was: a harmless prank that got a few of us up in arms and confused lots of us. That really is what April Fool's Day is all about. Is it dumb? Heck yea, but "it is what it is".

The mods take a fair amount of crap, put in a fair amount of hours and take responsibility to keep our ship righted. So I say let 'em have their fun once in a while. They deserve to hoodwink the masses & get us riled up a bit now & then.

After all - they're almost human! :oop-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'2006 Bayliner 195 Classic Bowider/COLOR]
Unnamed!
Alpha Drive 3.0 Merc 135 HP

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 23:01 #8

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358

RJH;671532 wrote: If I understand it all correctly, the BOC changing name, moving, or whatever the kerfuffel, was an April fools practical joke. Some people appreciate practical jokes, some do not, but in society, practical jokes do have their place. Do they have a place in a relatively technical public forum such as the BOC? I suppose it depends on the outlook of the majority of the people contributing to the forum.

I for one, did not appreciate it. It's not a big deal, didn't get me all bent out of shape about it, but I think it necessary to voice my opinion that I found it somewhat in bad taste and bad form. I expect to be quite in the minority in my opinion here but the opinion might be of interest to the moderators.

There is a fine line between being too serious and not serious enough. This may have just crossed that line to where credibility might come into question.


Great comment! That is how many of us feel and still feel that it was way over done, one mod said he was too busy, to work on an issue, guess what he was working on?
There is a small consensis that we should let it go. I usually feel the same way, we did not even get an I am sorry I (they) let it go on so long.
A point here; I had 68 rep points prior to this hoax on us, now I have 55, factoring in the Positives and negs, I know there were some from mods, red thingies, I opted out of the rep thing, Why did I go from 68 to 55, and the mods erased all their all fools day threads, but left all the pos and ned rep points; I do not need the points, and again they can have them all, I could care less about rep. but it appears that the fools day hit me with a neg because I DISAGREED WITH THE HOAX.
??????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 23:15 #9

  • Pau Hana
  • Pau Hana's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 2368
  • Thank you received: 44

boatworkfl;671772 wrote: Great comment! That is how many of us feel and still feel that it was way over done, one mod said he was too busy, to work on an issue, guess what he was working on?
There is a small consensis that we should let it go. I usually feel the same way, we did not even get an I am sorry I (they) let it go on so long.
A point here; I had 68 rep points prior to this hoax on us, now I have 55, factoring in the Positives and negs, I know there were some from mods, red thingies, I opted out of the rep thing, Why did I go from 68 to 55, and the mods erased all their all fools day threads, but left all the pos and ned rep points; I do not need the points, and again they can have them all, I could care less about rep. but it appears that the fools day hit me with a neg because I DISAGREED WITH THE HOAX.
??????


Small consensus? Seems that you and a few others continue to wave the flag of discontent over a simple hoax. Have you never been party to a joke- or do you not have a sense of humor that we are aware of? (to quote men in black)

As for rep points- I believe members can give and take away rep points...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pete
Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!
1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries." - Churchill
Like us on Facebook- ...

On first of April 2012 06 Apr 2012 23:41 #10

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358

Pau Hana;671774 wrote: Small consensus? Seems that you and a few others continue to wave the flag of discontent over a simple hoax. Have you never been party to a joke- or do you not have a sense of humor that we are aware of? (to quote men in black)

As for rep points- I believe members can give and take away rep points...


As I said, since this was a fools joke, all neg and pos comments that were rated for rep points should dissipear like the threads the mods deleted that were based on the fools joke.

Not waving the flag of discontent, just answering a comment, I still wonder why there is a small number of members that want it to just go away.
I will not start a thread on the issue, but I have the perogative to answer! - And with-out reprisal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 00:01 #11

  • Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Posts: 8015
  • Thank you received: 534

boatworkfl;671780 wrote: As I said, since this was a fools joke, all neg and pos comments that were rated for rep points should dissipear like the threads the mods deleted that were based on the fools joke.

Not waving the flag of discontent, just answering a comment, I still wonder why there is a small number of members that want it to just go away.
I will not start a thread on the issue, but I have the perogative to answer! - And with-out reprisal.


Well, you got -17 total and + 72 total for all rep comments since day one. I received 45 total. So looks like you are doing better than me... :worth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)


[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 00:09 #12

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358

Go Aweigh2452;671785 wrote: Well, you got -17 total and + 72 total for all rep comments since day one. I received 45 total. So looks like you are doing better than me... :worth


When I checked my settings I went from 68 to 55, and that was with at least 2 pos. maybe there is a lull in the correct postings, or you know something I do not.
I still maintain you can have them all, we were told we could opt out, maybe the mods could spend more time on fixing what was promised instead of?
If we opt out we should not go up or down! I did not go down untill the All fools day hoax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 12:08 #13

  • Guest
  • Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

boatworkfl;671789 wrote: When I checked my settings I went from 68 to 55, and that was with at least 2 pos.

It is good that the reputation points remain anonymous so that the keyboard cowards may continue to participate in the forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 12:12 #14

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5744
  • Thank you received: 966
All things being considered in amsummary it is quite simple....

BOC April Fools prank = change of opinion of the BOC and the people involved.
In each persons case that change represents a varied image that each member has of the BOC in both type and degree.
In this virtual community we are each a summation of what we say, do , and post - just like in real life.

Hope this helps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 14:36 #15

  • Stratocaster
  • Stratocaster's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Posts: 1250
  • Thank you received: 25
I have a feeling that by the time next April rolls around, boatworkfl will still be banging the drum on this. Get a hobby, man.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 14:48 #16

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358

Stratocaster;671932 wrote: I have a feeling that by the time next April rolls around, boatworkfl will still be banging the drum on this. Get a hobby, man.


I wonder why you do not make this comment to everyone who disliked the fools hoax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 14:51 #17

  • Guest
  • Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

wingless;671896 wrote: It is good that the reputation points remain anonymous so that the keyboard cowards may continue to participate in the forum.

Thanks to the keyboard coward for providing this anonymous red reputation point for my post proving my point: "Quit yer whining..."

Please don't ever lift the cloak to unveil these "brave" members...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 14:53 #18

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358
Down to 40, and no one willing to put their name on it, all in one thread.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 14:57 #19

  • Guest
  • Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

boatworkfl;671936 wrote: Down to 40, and no one willing to put their name on it, all in one thread.

All the reputation points I've provided have been signed...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 14:59 #20

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358

wingless;671937 wrote: All the reputation points I've provided have been signed...


I know thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 15:09 #21

  • Pau Hana
  • Pau Hana's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 2368
  • Thank you received: 44

wingless;671934 wrote: Thanks to the keyboard coward for providing this anonymous red reputation point for my post proving my point: "Quit yer whining..."

Please don't ever lift the cloak to unveil these "brave" members...


Quit yer whining.

Signed, Pete

And no, I didn't give you any or anyone else any + or - points.

Amazing how tightly people are holding on to their grump....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pete
Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!
1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries." - Churchill
Like us on Facebook- ...

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 15:21 #22

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358

wingless;671934 wrote: Thanks to the keyboard coward for providing this anonymous red reputation point for my post proving my point: "Quit yer whining..."

Please don't ever lift the cloak to unveil these "brave" members...


I recieved the same one, they do not have to read the thread do they.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 15:34 #23

  • Guest
  • Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Maybe the rank and file members don't get this whole reputation thing.

So there is an implied trust that reputation anonymity will be maintained, so why not just flip the switch so that only reputation provided by Administrators and Moderators will be revealed, so that may be used as an example for the masses as to proper usage of that system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 15:43 #24

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7141
  • Thank you received: 358

wingless;671955 wrote: Maybe the rank and file members don't get this whole reputation thing.

So there is an implied trust that reputation anonymity will be maintained, so why not just flip the switch so that only reputation provided by Administrators and Moderators will be revealed, so that may be used as an example for the masses as to proper usage of that system?


I am thinking what your thinking. I think it is being mis-used.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

On first of April 2012 07 Apr 2012 16:10 #25

  • Guest
  • Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:hor-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum