Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum?

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 17:13 #26

• rafaelfigueira
  • Thank you received: 103

Pier Pressure;668886 wrote: However, if you move forward with merging or outright removal of PP, there will be a huge impact on those that don't want to hear about PP, much less see the conversations.

That's easily solved by axing *ANY* political discussion or "religous" jokes from anywhere. Just like now you are not allowed to post nudes in DW, with consequences (thread delete, mod intervention, user banning, etc).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rafael Figueira
1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 17:46 #27

• Jarhead
  • BATTLE OF LAKE ERIE reenactment
  • Thank you received: 3
If there is no PP, then you can be sure that people will PP on other forums!

Keep it as it is and that will enable those who want or need to discuss PP topics
a safe place to do it.

Besides, if it is taken away, and given that many (most?) of those posting own guns, I fear for what might happen if they are unable to relieve the pressure. :eek:

Better on the PP than from some high tower some place. :kidding

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 285 Ciera [/SIZE]
350 MAG MPI MerCruiser Bravo III
Member - South Shore Cruising Club
East Harbor State Park Marina
Marblehead, OH

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 17:47 #28

• keithjabber
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I voted for keep it as is. Definitely do not combine dock walk and PP.

If it is decided to kill PP then at the same time I would prohibit political discussions completely from the forum. I don't want all the nonsense to take away from the value of the rest of the forum. I have never seen a single forum where political discussions were allowed in the general forum and everyone behaved themsleves. For some reason political discussions bring out the worst in everybody, especially when conducted through a keyboard.

Keith
Waukegan, IL
1994 2859, Mercruise 6.3L 383 MPI (Repower)

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 17:51 #29

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut
  • Thank you received: 8

rafaelfigueira;668891 wrote: That's easily solved by axing *ANY* political discussion or "religous" jokes from anywhere. Just like now you are not allowed to post nudes in DW, with consequences (thread delete, mod intervention, user banning, etc).

I dont think it would be that easy. With nude pictures, the line is clearly drawn...either they are naked, or they are not. There could be a lot of gray area with political references. People could easily tip toe that line and make pokes or small jabs at a particular party or politician. I think it would be harder to mod. I think pier pressure is right. Let it stay as is.

2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 17:55 #30

• ChrisR
  • Thank you received: 0
I say keep things as is.

If you COULD tho, make the PP thread not show up on the "New Posts" list but have it as something you need to click on the get the latest ones. So of you're a regular BOC member, and you don't care about the PP or don't even want to know it's there, you won't see it. Period. If you see the PP all the time and don't like what's being said, then it sounds like you're entering a room where you don't even want to be. "Does that make sense to you?"( a quote from Jubal Early)

But don't take away an avenue for those of us boaters that wish to vent with fellow boaters. I personally don't participate in the conversations there but I DO read and hear the opinions of those that do. I subscribe to the thread but I have no desire to get on a seperate political site and talk to who the hell knows who. This idea of getting rid of an avenue for talking politics with each other sounds like more freedoms lost to me.

Want to get rid of something? Get rid of the little star at the bottom of the page. Where we vote and give little points for our friends.

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 17:56 #31

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126

Stratocaster;668869 wrote: When I made the new site, I created PP to get the political crap out of Dock Walk...but I created a monster. Some days there are more posts on PP than anywhere else, which is silly. This is, first and foremost, a boating site. I vote to gas it. But, if the vote is to keep or combine it, I will go along with what the majority decides, shrug, and accept it!

We have had this discussion before Mike. BOC is a social site with a boating theme, not a boating site that allows some social stuff.
If you want to remove the social aspect from the site we really only need 3 forums ( MY, General, and Tech) - and most of the stuff in general is social as well.

I do agree that removing the political stuff from DW was a mistake, nice to see you coming around. :)

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 18:04 #32

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

ChrisR;668913 wrote: I say keep things as is.

If you COULD tho, make the PP thread not show up on the "New Posts" list but have it as something you need to click on the get the latest ones. So of you're a regular BOC member, and you don't care about the PP or don't even want to know it's there, you won't see it. Period. If you see the PP all the time and don't like what's being said, then it sounds like you're entering a room where you don't even want to be. "Does that make sense to you?"( a quote from Jubal Early)

But don't take away an avenue for those of us boaters that wish to vent with fellow boaters. I personally don't participate in the conversations there but I DO read and hear the opinions of those that do. I subscribe to the thread but I have no desire to get on a seperate political site and talk to who the hell knows who. This idea of getting rid of an avenue for talking politics with each other sounds like more freedoms lost to me.

Want to get rid of something? Get rid of the little star at the bottom of the page. Where we vote and give little points for our friends.

:goo- Best one in the thread so far! 2 good ideas :)

I am surprised that so many are voting to nix it. I think that if a bunch of people are enjoying and it can be kept from everyone's eyes that do not want to see it,,,,what's the harm?

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'97 Bayliner Empress Ciera 2859
Unnamed!
Bravo II Drive ~ 7.4 375HP Mercruiser

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 18:54 #33

• ChrisR
Thanks Sarah.

Hey Doug, I know that you're just having to babysit here and that all kinda sucks for you. Sorry. Maybe tho if you have to be the parent and make a decision that everyone can cope with, then be the good parent and don't tell the kids to stop playing but send them outside or in another room. Those that don't want to play with the bad boys (and girls) or that don't play well with others can just watch thru the window, or listen, or don't have to watch at all..

It's "like kind" on here (boaters) talking to "like kind", (other boaters) about anything and everything we boaters like to talk about..

Surprising, but what we do as a sport and this recreation we choose here which IS boating has a lot to do with fuel, fuel prices licenses for seafood and licenses for our boats. Water management acts, Coast Guard regulations. The rights to carry a firearm. All of these are government issues worth debating and argueing about.

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 19:05 #34

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

LazyCrusr;668917 wrote: :goo- Best one in the thread so far! 2 good ideas :)

I am surprised that so many are voting to nix it. I think that if a bunch of people are enjoying and it can be kept from everyone's eyes that do not want to see it,,,,what's the harm?

ChrisR;668941 wrote: Thanks Sarah.

Hey Doug, I know that you're just having to babysit here and that all kinda sucks for you. Sorry. Maybe tho if you have to be the parent and make a decision that everyone can cope with, then be the good parent and don't tell the kids to stop playing but send them outside or in another room. Those that don't want to play with the bad boys (and girls) or that don't play well with others can just watch thru the window, or listen, or don't have to watch at all..

It's "like kind" on here (boaters) talking to "like kind", (other boaters) about anything and everything we boaters like to talk about..

Surprising, but what we do as a sport and this recreation we choose here which IS boating has a lot to do with fuel, fuel prices licenses for seafood and licenses for our boats. Water management acts, Coast Guard regulations. The rights to carry a firearm. All of these are government issues worth debating and argueing about.

I wouldn't think just because some like to talk about what they talk about makes them bad. I know you are being tongue and cheek, but still. The ones who have sent an e-mail requesting it be shut down should be blocked from looking in rather than looking and bitching. It is a choice. Life is full of them. Don't crab if it doesn't affect you or you have no horse in the race. This isn't directed at you Chris. Just when they set something up and it is used as intended and people bitch even though they have to have a password to get in, there is something wrong.

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 19:28 #35

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3

PugetMike;668843 wrote: Shut it down!

I would love to see PP merged with DW.

I am looking forward to discussions of obamacare in DW. This is gonna be great.

That makes no sense at all. PP was created because of the crap and arguments in DW.
Everytime I click a "moved" thread and it winds up in PP, I'm scared to enter, so I don't. I don't like that on my boating site.

Before this election season heats up, kill it. If you wanna praise your ideology, browse a Yahoo article and post in the "Comments" section. Good riddance.

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 19:49 #36

• Flash Jorden
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 15

ChrisR;668913 wrote: I say keep things as is.

If you COULD tho, make the PP thread not show up on the "New Posts" list but have it as something you need to click on the get the latest ones.

Chris,
I've noticed that if you don't log into the PP forum, it will not show up in the "New Posts" list. If you have logged into PP, and it is currently showing up on your "New Posts" list, then click the "Log Out" link at the top righthand side of the screen. This will log you out of BOC, and remove the automatic login to PP. Log back into BOC, but do not log in to PP. Now click the "New Posts" link, and you should not see any PP topics.

I just tested it with Windows 7 and IE 8, and it worked beautifully.

-Jorden

*** Jorden ***
1987 Bayliner 2150 Capri Bow Rider
5L OMC w/Cobra Outdrive
Tandem Axle Trailer

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 19:56 #37

• ChrisR
Jorden, thanks. But as you just said that..., it sounded so much like "Problem Solved". Doesn't it to you? Hmmmm..

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 20:11 #38

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA
  • Thank you received: 276
I'm pretty much a minority in PP (more like a dart board LOL) but I participate quite a bit, I can say for the most part it is friendly banter with few hard feelings. I think it should stay as I find it fascinating what boaters from other areas think socially and politically.

www.boatyardgm.com
www.pacificyachtimports.net
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 21:06 #39

• captjmh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

NeilW;668979 wrote: I'm pretty much a minority in PP (more like a dart board LOL) but I participate quite a bit, I can say for the most part it is friendly banter with few hard feelings. I think it should stay as I find it fascinating what boaters from other areas think socially and politically.

While Neil and I may be on opposite sides of the political spectrum, and almost the country - CA vs WI, the common thread is we like boating, so we share that interest and it's interesting to get other perspectives from folks who have something in common about subjects other than boating - just like in the marina. Gotta be honest, I enjoy talking with slip neighbors, but not just about boats - so why does it need to be different here? I mean really, I even talk to blow-boaters! At any rate, regardless of our political perspectives, bottom line is if Neil fell off of his boat, I'd for sure throw him a life ring - might be off of the "left" side of the boat for his sake - but I'd throw him the ring!;)

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 21:21 #40

• Ssounder
Today's Example:
There are currently 117 users online. 64 members and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 795, 04-10-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what was going on back in 2008? An election perhaps? And some good discussions by middle class boat owners about the state of the Union. Back then, there was an honest discussion going on. Two sides were represented. Some of the threads had over a thousand reads. Back then, you could Google a political subject and BOC would sometimes show up in the top 10 results. Sure it got heated, but the deck wasn't as stacked until certain right-sided managment started running people off that they disagreed politically with. Once the balance tipped too far in one direction, there was no longer any reason to engage. Alas, the PP had run it's course. And as I write this post there are 117 users online. Isn't it spring boating season? Sad. So sad.....

2252 Ciera - Sold
12" Sea Nymph

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 22:05 #41

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
How many members actually post on the PP thread? With some consistancy.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 30 Mar 2012 22:07 #42

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116
In my opinion what you have at BOC is a Social site centered around a common theme, boating. Not a Boating site with a Social component The key thing is it is a Social site first and formost due to the format it is in, a Forum. And like all things that are socially driven they change over time and cause differences of opinion.

People come here to socialize AND get some boating information. Forums IMHO are not a good medium to SHARE technical information, but they are a good medium to socialize and or get/give OPINIONS.

When I look at BOC and CSR I see the same type of activity which is mostly social and with a sprinkle of boating and both suffer from the same issues just different boats. I guess the admins here have to determine what type of site this is to be first, if it is social then the topics should be driven by the members.

I put up a PP on my site and for months I was the lone poster with one post. There was just no interest so I deleted it. In fact the majority of people on my site come for the Articles and Manuals which do not require membership and a few come to the Forum for the socialization.
If it were me and all I had was a Forum I would not be so quick to kill off a major part of it and the members who support and participate in it. :spam

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 00:24 #43

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1

captjmh;668756 wrote: Ryan - I'm curious as to why you have been receiving e-mails asking for PP to be shut down? I know it's impossible to share all the e-mails but could you perhaps summarize the gist of the reasons? Personally I don't get it, I mean if I don't like a TV show that's on a major network, I don't watch it. If I don't like a particular author or magazine, I don't read it. If I don't like a particular bar, restaurant, or store, I don't go there. So why would someone that doesn't like something go there to be riled up and request shutdown? Is it the old train wreck or freeway accident conundrum where you know you won't like the blood and guts but you have to look?? Curious minds want to know.

I get emails because im an admin here. As far as why there are a variety of reasons. Everyone can voice opinions here. The poll will have the final word.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 00:34 #44

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
You missed 1 catagory, let those that use the PP section in the last 3- to 60 days vote, not those of us that used to visit the section. Otherwise leave it as is, those that use it deserve, it deserve it.

I have no right to vote since I do not visit that site. Too much anomosity and some that lie in wait to jump on an issue or party afilitation.

I can live with out it, but again, I do not use it so I have no right to vote for or against.
I do not under stand why we have it.

This is a boating site. If there is a political issue involving our boating world, then let's go for it.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 00:45 #45

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA
  • Thank you received: 276

biohazard;669056 wrote: I get emails because im an admin here. As far as why there are a variety of reasons. Everyone can voice opinions here. The poll will have the final word.

For what it is worth, which is probably not much, I think that if you get rid of the PP forum, guys like myself and I am sure many others will only go on the forum when we need some information or specification for our boats, there is a great deal of it here and I thank you for that.

As it stands now, I have a job where I can be on the internet during the day, so when I do come and play with my friends in the PP forum, I also go to motor yachts, technical discussion and general boating forums to see if I can offer any assistance or answer a question, even though I am usually late and some other nice member provided the information needed.

One thing perplexes me as I am pretty sure it is not a regular PP forum participant that is ruffling feathers over the forum, but possibly someone who stumbled in and got their ego a little bend out of shape?

www.boatyardgm.com
www.pacificyachtimports.net
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 01:15 #46

• Ssounder

NeilW;669063 wrote:
One thing perplexes me as I am pretty sure it is not a regular PP forum participant that is ruffling feathers over the forum, but possibly someone who stumbled in and got their ego a little bend out of shape?

Yes and no. There are a host of regulars here that have been clamoring to get rid of the PP ever since it was formed. Consists mostly of people that don't have any self control and "gotta peak in" and then regret it later because it causes them too much trauma.....

2252 Ciera - Sold
12" Sea Nymph

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 01:21 #47

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1

NeilW;669063 wrote: For what it is worth, which is probably not much, I think that if you get rid of the PP forum, guys like myself and I am sure many others will only go on the forum when we need some information or specification for our boats, there is a great deal of it here and I thank you for that.

As it stands now, I have a job where I can be on the internet during the day, so when I do come and play with my friends in the PP forum, I also go to motor yachts, technical discussion and general boating forums to see if I can offer any assistance or answer a question, even though I am usually late and some other nice member provided the information needed.

This isnt my call, this is up to the members. They decide not me.

And its not due to just 1 person's complaints, its many.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 01:29 #48

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
Let me see if I get this straight.
There is a forum that requires special effort to enter. A password.
Without the password being used you cannot see anything on the forum.
So why in hell is anyone against it. Just don't look.
And one other thing. Why is this issue being settled by the members voting.
I note a lot of one way discussion about another decision and members are being told they have no say.
This just doesn't track right guys.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 02:19 #49

• ChrisR

Ssounder;669070 wrote: Yes and no. There are a host of regulars here that have been clamoring to get rid of the PP ever since it was formed. Consists mostly of people that don't have any self control and "gotta peak in" and then regret it later because it causes them too much trauma.....

I wanted to say something totally sarcastic like... Oh my gosh nooooooo! :eek:

But I won't

Poll: Shut down Politcal Pundits Forum? 31 Mar 2012 02:36 #50

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

NeilW;669063 wrote: For what it is worth, which is probably not much, I think that if you get rid of the PP forum, guys like myself and I am sure many others will only go on the forum when we need some information or specification for our boats, there is a great deal of it here and I thank you for that.

Thank you Neil. I agree. Removing PP would remove me. I would check in, but that is it.

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds