Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: BOC member rating?

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 12:58 #226

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

wingless;666654 wrote: You have to love the anonymity of the rating system. It permits keyboard cowards to flex their muscles.

Very true... just like passive/aggressive comments.
And not only in a cowardly way, but lets say that two members agreed on the current topic, but had just locked horns in another unrelated thread and topic.
One could then accomplish a personal vendetta for a totally unrelated issue to the thread topic being discussed.

Let's hope that no one would stoop to this level.... but never say never!
The door is open!

Here's another what if:

Lets say that out of ten reasons for this system, two are fairly potentially negative reasons.
That leaves 8 reasons for, and 2 against.
What if those 2 reasons were enough to cause a new member (with his own question) to foo foo someone's potentially great response.

Are these 2 hypothetical reasons enough to cause legitimate concern?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 14:15 #227

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116

2850Bounty;666663 wrote: Very true... just like passive/aggressive comments.
And not only in a cowardly way, but lets say that two members agreed on the current topic, but had just locked horns in another unrelated thread and topic.
One could then accomplish a personal vendetta for a totally unrelated issue to the thread topic being discussed.

Let's hope that no one would stoop to this level.... but never say never!
The door is open!

Here's another what if:

Lets say that out of ten reasons for this system, two are fairly potentially negative reasons.
That leaves 8 reasons for, and 2 against.
What if those 2 reasons were enough to cause a new member (with his own question) to foo foo someone's potentially great response.

Are these 2 hypothetical reasons enough to cause legitimate concern?

LOL I cant believe this thread is still going :sorrow:
Give people some credit ! Nobody is going to look at your Rep points and solely based on that make a decision as to the value of your post. If they do they have bigger issues. It takes very little time cruising this and other forums to determine who is an experianced knowledgable boater and who the dock queens are. Most people I am sure can make that distinction and base which advice they take on that rather than the Rep system.
Due to what this system is called Reputation, the concern that I see is all about ego and how one may be portrayed to others. I would give it up. Those of you who have consistanly provided good information will continue to be followed and those who have not will continue to be ignored.

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 15:07 #228

• Visitor
  • Visitor

2850Bounty;666663 wrote: And not only in a cowardly way, but lets say that two members agreed on the current topic, but had just locked horns in another unrelated thread and topic.

That would imply that jerks use the Internet...

There is much less of an issue if each member could see who is rating and why.

Flip the switch. Reveal who has voted and how they voted.

crowder.dr;666673 wrote: LOL I cant believe this thread is still going

According to the thread count tally, your post quantity here is in the top eight.

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 15:10 #229

• boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 352

wingless;666654 wrote: You have to love the anonymity of the rating system. It permits keyboard cowards to flex their muscles.

The system could be tweaked to automatically sign the rating comments. I wonder why they don't do that?

And then the fight would begin, would sound like ebay prior to the seller not being able to give bad feedback.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 15:16 #230

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

wingless;666696 wrote: According to the thread count tally, your post quantity here is in the top eight.

You are correct sir and my Rep didnt go up or down. People are still ignoring my quality posts LOL :D :worth

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 15:19 #231

• Visitor
  • Visitor

boatworkfl;666697 wrote: And then the fight would begin, would sound like ebay prior to the seller not being able to give bad feedback.

There has always been the option to provide feedback to bad information in the forum.

If someone is inappropriate click the ! icon and report that content to the moderators for appropriate action.

If bad information is provided, then just provide accurate information with links to documentation supporting the correct information.

This "system" could transition from horrible to marginal by limiting ratings to Golden Rule, keep your mouth shut unless you have something good to say, or stop hiding behind the keyboard.

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 15:27 #232

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

crowder.dr;666673 wrote: 1... LOL I cant believe this thread is still going :sorrow:
2... Give people some credit ! Nobody is going to look at your Rep points and solely based on that make a decision as to the value of your post. If they do they have bigger issues. It takes very little time cruising this and other forums to determine who is an experianced knowledgable boater and who the dock queens are. Most people I am sure can make that distinction and base which advice they take on that rather than the Rep system.
Due to what this system is called Reputation, the concern that I see is all about ego and how one may be portrayed to others. I would give it up. Those of you who have consistanly provided good information will continue to be followed and those who have not will continue to be ignored.

1... my thoughts as well, but here I am still posting.

2.. my concerns are more so for the Newbie, than for us.

wingless;666696 wrote: There is much less of an issue if each member could see who is rating and why.
Flip the switch. Reveal who has voted and how they voted.

+ 1 ......... Remove the anonymity from the equation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 15:40 #233

• kthoennes
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, this topic is getting beaten to death, but I think it deserves to get beaten to death. Cwiert is right though, now there's too much stubborness among the mods to just kill it and make this go away. We've already heard all the three standard mod responses:

1. This is not a democracy.
2. Mods have a tough job, can't make everybody happy, thankless job, etc.
3. Change is hard, give it time.

Those three responses cover just about forum mod controversy in the universe. Should just add those three phrases to their sig lines. The reason I'm cranky and disappointed and persistent about this change is that it changes the fabric of this site, changes the chemistry between members, and even intensfies the likelihood of dumb conflicts and elbowing and sniping. Of all the forums I browse, BOC seems to have more of that than most others for some reason. Have no idea why, but okay, still an entertaining and valuable site -- but now this rating system stuff makes that kind of atmosphere, that kind of playground stuff, even more likely, not less. I still have no idea what the mods are trying to accomplish here.

Kids fight on the playground, so let's hand out sticks to everybody so they can poke each other even more. Yeah, that's a really good idea.

1995 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 1952 (the little boat)
1983 Carver 32 Aft Cabin (the big boat)
Lewis & Clark Marina, Yankton, South Dakota

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 16:12 #234

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

kthoennes;666705 wrote: Yes, this topic is getting beaten to death, but I think it deserves to get beaten to death. Cwiert is right though, now there's too much stubborness among the mods to just kill it and make this go away. We've already heard all the three standard mod responses:

1. This is not a democracy.
2. Mods have a tough job, can't make everybody happy, thankless job, etc.
3. Change is hard, give it time.

Those three responses cover just about forum mod controversy in the universe. Should just add those three phrases to their sig lines. The reason I'm cranky and disappointed and persistent about this change is that it changes the fabric of this site, changes the chemistry between members, and even intensfies the likelihood of dumb conflicts and elbowing and sniping. Of all the forums I browse, BOC seems to have more of that than most others for some reason. Have no idea why, but okay, still an entertaining and valuable site -- but now this rating system stuff makes that kind of atmosphere, that kind of playground stuff, even more likely, not less. I still have no idea what the mods are trying to accomplish here.

Kids fight on the playground, so let's hand out sticks to everybody so they can poke each other even more. Yeah, that's a really good idea.

I would assume that from the Moderators and Administrators point of view given there have been 43 individual posters to this thread out of 12,623 registered members, some members are for it, some are against it, and some like myself think it is irrelevant. But in the end 43 people regardless of their position is hardly an overwhelming segment of the membership and a reason to abandon a new site feature without it having been tried and fairly evaluated. :D

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 16:15 #235

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well said, kthoennes! Wish that I'd have said that myself!

Remove this feature, and you'll completely eliminate the need for this thread, and we'll never be the wiser as to how many problems it may or may not have caused here.
Again... nothing was broken, and nothing needed fix'n as it was prior.

Then the administration can stay on task with more rewarding and more important issues.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 16:16 #236

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3

The system could be tweaked to automatically sign the rating comments. I wonder why they don't do that?

According to the Vbulletin link I copied some info from, there is supposed to be a way to see that info. Kinda of a Search form. I haven't seen how to get to that. Guessing something else that needs to be enabled. I'm going to PM the Mod handling this.

This may be an Admin Only function. If so, they should be able to edit or delete targeted or spiteful comments/ratings. I have PM'd Ryan/biohazard concerning this.

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 16:32 #237

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

crowder.dr;666718 wrote: I would assume that from the Moderators and Administrators point of view given there have been 43 individual posters to this thread out of 12,623 registered members, some members are for it, some are against it, and some like myself think it is irrelevant. But in the end 43 people regardless of their position is hardly an overwhelming segment of the membership and a reason to abandon a new site feature without it having been tried and fairly evaluated. :D

To rate the number of posters to total membership is not fair; to rate the number of posters and the PM messages for and against the rating system would be more fair;but, we will never be able to see the PM's to the administrators. How do we fairly rate the total of opinions of: for-neutral-against?

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 16:32 #238

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut
  • Thank you received: 8

crowder.dr;666718 wrote: I would assume that from the Moderators and Administrators point of view given there have been 43 individual posters to this thread out of 12,623 registered members, some members are for it, some are against it, and some like myself think it is irrelevant. But in the end 43 people regardless of their position is hardly an overwhelming segment of the membership and a reason to abandon a new site feature without it having been tried and fairly evaluated. :D

I think saying that only 43 out of 12,623 members are agaisnt this feature is a cop out. The people who are against it are the people that post here every day, or log on everyday to see what's going on. I would venture a guess that the vast majority of your truly ACTIVE members, do not like this feature. Of course the ten thousand members that haven't been here since 2005 don't give a hoot about the feature.

The only real way to test my theory is to put up a poll, and put it in the general section so it's not buried in the club and website section. But of course that will never happen, because, as we were told, this not a democracy. It's a few people with power trips doing whatever they need to do to make them feel good about themselves. JMHO, of course. ;)

2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 16:34 #239

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut

boatworkfl;666724 wrote: To rate the number of posters to total membership is not fair; to rate the number of posters and the PM messages for and against the rating system would be more fair;but, we will never be able to see the PM's to the administrators. How do we failly rate the total of opinions of: for-neutral-against?

You beat me to it, by like a second!

Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 18:30 #240

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
I'm going to bet that the positive replies to the mods have been minimal; a tiny slice of the membership. IF there were any real numbers, we'd hear from some of them here. The conflict is not so severe that one would be hesitant to voice their opinions in favor of it.

There are 3 things that really kinda frost me about this:
- the 'too bad but we are the bosses' type reply
- the fact that a group where everyone generally gets along well has this BS rammed down our throats, it can only divide us
- being call SPAM and generally given the impression that our opinions are irrelevant, or whining, or premature

I don't really care to give it a chance. It is a stupid feature.
And I don't want to rate others, nor do I want to be rated myself.
dumb dumb DUMB, and getting worse with the insistence that it is part of the game here now,,,,,to stay :thumb

Sarah

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'97 Bayliner Empress Ciera 2859
Unnamed!
Bravo II Drive ~ 7.4 375HP Mercruiser

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 18:59 #241

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

cwiert;666725 wrote: I think saying that only 43 out of 12,623 members are agaisnt this feature is a cop out. The people who are against it are the people that post here every day, or log on everyday to see what's going on. I would venture a guess that the vast majority of your truly ACTIVE members, do not like this feature. Of course the ten thousand members that haven't been here since 2005 don't give a hoot about the feature.

The only real way to test my theory is to put up a poll, and put it in the general section so it's not buried in the club and website section. But of course that will never happen, because, as we were told, this not a democracy. It's a few people with power trips doing whatever they need to do to make them feel good about themselves. JMHO, of course. ;)

I did not say 43 people were against the feature I said ONLY 43 people CARED one way or the other or were totally INDIFFERENT. Look at the number of views this post has had and none of those other over 2000 views CARED enough to leave an opinion. A poll may not seem like a bad idea on the surface and it is certainly possible. So what would the pass be 6,314 votes in favor? So where do Administrators draw the line then on administering the site. Put every decision up for a vote ? For how long, What is the Pass margin ? Who gets to word smith the poll ?

The simple fact of the matter is that if you dont want to use the feature, dont. If no one uses it and no one cares what values are there it will die a natural death the Mods and Admin will see the results and make a decision to keep or remove it based on that trial.

I dont have a horse in this race and dont care one way or the other. I did not have a Rep when I came in, dont have one now, and if I got one would not care anyway. I post my views and opinions and people either take them or leave them.

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 19:11 #242

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

LazyCrusr;666753 wrote: I'm going to bet that the positive replies to the mods have been minimal; a tiny slice of the membership. IF there were any real numbers, we'd hear from some of them here. The conflict is not so severe that one would be hesitant to voice their opinions in favor of it.

+ 1

In fact, I'll make this a challenge, and ask those who are in favor of this to publicly voice their opinions.
Then we can compare notes.
I think it will be interesting to see how many are in favor of it.

I know, I know.... this is not a democracy and we actually have no say in it....... just say'n!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 19:23 #243

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

2850Bounty;666757 wrote: + 1

In fact, I'll make this a challenge, and ask those who are in favor of this to publicly voice their opinions.
Then we can compare notes.
I think it will be interesting to see how many are in favor of it.

I know, I know.... this is not a democracy and we actually have no say in it....... just say'n!

I would suggest hiding the post count of each member as well then if you truly only want to be rated on your content not your activity here and any other rating system. :pop

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 19:34 #244

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut

LazyCrusr;666753 wrote: I'm going to bet that the positive replies to the mods have been minimal; a tiny slice of the membership. IF there were any real numbers, we'd hear from some of them here. The conflict is not so severe that one would be hesitant to voice their opinions in favor of it.

There are 3 things that really kinda frost me about this:
- the 'too bad but we are the bosses' type reply
- the fact that a group where everyone generally gets along well has this BS rammed down our throats, it can only divide us
- being call SPAM and generally given the impression that our opinions are irrelevant, or whining, or premature

I don't really care to give it a chance. It is a stupid feature.
And I don't want to rate others, nor do I want to be rated myself.
dumb dumb DUMB, and getting worse with the insistence that it is part of the game here now,,,,,to stay :thumb

Sarah

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 20:02 #245

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I started a new thread for you guys lets see how it goes LOL May the best side wine :oop- I mean WIN :D

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 20:09 #246

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 590
Well I really don't care but my thoughts go here.
We all see posts that really shouldn't be made. Infromation wrong to the question or simply wrong in any situation.
Post count posts.
And so on.
So if this makes one think a bit before posting, would it help the site overall?
If I don't like it I will opt out. We all have that choice.

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 20:11 #247

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

dmcb;666767 wrote: Well I really don't care but my thoughts go here.
We all see posts that really shouldn't be made. Infromation wrong to the question or simply wrong in any situation.
Post count posts.
And so on.
So if this makes one think a bit before posting, would it help the site overall?
If I don't like it I will opt out. We all have that choice.

Good for you Doug makes sense to me :D

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 20:15 #248

• 245_Tom
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Whiting, NJ

crowder.dr;666755 wrote: Look at the number of views this post has had and none of those other over 2000 views CARED enough to leave an opinion.

I have been biting my tongue through out this whole ordeal but this really made me have to say something.

1) Having a 0 or 1 Rep Power does not make me inept.

2) Why should I have left an opinion (look at above statement) prior to this one, my responses don't mean anything because my Rep Power is just 1.

This is the way I have been made to feel by those who are for this system. Its a shame.

(Wow..somehow I moved up to 2. Why I don't know. It's crazy)

Tom and Madeline Schreiber
2011 Bayliner 255 Sunbridge Cruiser
5.0L 260 hp MPI - Bravo III
"Take Two"
MMSI: 338160311

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 20:18 #249

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

245_Tom;666770 wrote: I have been biting my tongue through out this whole ordeal but this really made me have to say something.

1) Having a 0 or 1 Rep Power does not make me inept.

2) Why should I have left an opinion (look at above statement) prior to this one, my responses don't mean anything because my Rep Power is just 1.

This is the way I have been made to feel by those who are for this system. Its a shame.

(Wow..somehow I moved up to 2. Why I don't know. It's crazy)

Maybe it was a brib.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

BOC member rating? 25 Mar 2012 20:21 #250

• 245_Tom
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Whiting, NJ

boatworkfl;666771 wrote: Maybe it was a brib.

Yeah..good one!!

Tom and Madeline Schreiber
2011 Bayliner 255 Sunbridge Cruiser
5.0L 260 hp MPI - Bravo III
"Take Two"
MMSI: 338160311
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds