Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: BOC member rating?

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 03:22 #151

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

crowder.dr;666010 wrote: By the way, this is the most entertainment I have ever had on this site :oops:kidding

.......... and it hasn't been moved to the PP section yet!

LazyCrusr;665839 wrote: Hey Rick
1.... How didja get a pic of me connecting my battery last weekend? :D
2.... No wonder you have sooooo many points! You should be at least 1000 in my book!

3.... I predict that the rep point system will (and in no particular order)

- confuse many
- be ignored by most
- be helpful to almost nobody
- aggravate a large number of BOC'rs
- drive the poor mods absolutely outta their collective minds listening to us tell 'em how utterly assinine the thing is
- have an overall negative effect on the mood of the forum, unless it is turned off

I suggest that as soon as Ryan or Doug figure out how to squash the system that we all turn it OFF,,,, and live happily ever after.

Just sayin' ;)

1.... I read about it in the Adirondacks Marine news. :D

2.... Sarah, you are far too kind!

3.... In all honesty, I have to agree.
We're 151 needless posts into this thread, and that doesn't even consider the Rep Power thread in the Dock Walk.
That 151 will be 171 in short order.

And speaking of 1 or 2 Green Thingies..... can we make a new Green Thingy icon?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 03:23 #152

• boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 350

LazyCrusr;665971 wrote: Careful, you're speaking to a nun in training
:D

Sarah; you had 2 green thingies, then 1 now 2 again, someone cannot make up their mind.

Do you know why they call nuns nuns/ "because they get nun". Dad told me this when I was in high school, could not resist, you comment reminded me.
At 67 I still have my long term memory.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 03:35 #153

• kthoennes
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh, and one more thing. I do understand that mods and administrators have a tough job, they do tons of work with minimal appreciation, and I have never chewed on them before. I get all that -- this time however, this martyr reaction -- the old "sometimes we just have to be the bad guys, we're not aways going to win popularity contests but somebody has to do the dirty work" -- is really misplaced. Sorry Ryan. This was an un-requested, really unecessary "enhancement" that many members obviously don't like. This has nothing to do with controlling rudeness or maintaining site performance or refereeing disputes or cracking the whip on bad behavior or any of the other truly difficult but necessary jobs the mods do. This little feature was entirely gratuitous and elective so this time I can't buy the old "mods have a tough job" reponse.

1995 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 1952 (the little boat)
1983 Carver 32 Aft Cabin (the big boat)
Lewis & Clark Marina, Yankton, South Dakota

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 03:36 #154

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut
  • Thank you received: 8
Just to throw a little more gas on the fire...
I used my old log in and checked out clubsearayy.com to see if that had the "who's the bestest" rating system. They do not. But they do have boat, engine, and details all listed up top with join date and number of posts. If the goal is to improve the site and constantly move forward, I like those additions much better than the god-complex rating system.

And no, before any of you wise guys suggest it, I'm not going to take my business over there. I like it here just fine, even with this hella-stupid rating system.

2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 04:09 #155

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 450
What a great afternoon we had on the lake, 90*F., water temp about 64*...

I have read all the comments and I don't get from any of them that people's lives are ruined or they're leaving BOC. All I read is "WHY?" "Progress" is not a good nor definitive answer. Yes, you mods do all this stuff for free, and it is appreciated greatly by most, if not all members. So the question remains, "WHY?" Why would you want to implement this, does it make your jobs easier? If so, say so! It doesn't appear to make the site any better, at least from members' points of view. I will ignore it I think, at least for now. How about a poll?

And Sarah still has two green things...

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 04:12 #156

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116
:hor-

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 04:25 #157

• Astral Blue
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 12

kthoennes;666029 wrote: Oh, and one more thing. I do understand that mods and administrators have a tough job, they do tons of work with minimal appreciation, and I have never chewed on them before. I get all that -- this time however, this martyr reaction -- the old "sometimes we just have to be the bad guys, we're not aways going to win popularity contests but somebody has to do the dirty work" -- is really misplaced. Sorry Ryan. This was an un-requested, really unecessary "enhancement" that many members obviously don't like. This has nothing to do with controlling rudeness or maintaining site performance or refereeing disputes or cracking the whip on bad behavior or any of the other truly difficult but necessary jobs the mods do. This little feature was entirely gratuitous and elective so this time I can't buy the old "mods have a tough job" reponse.

+1! There is a good reason people are objecting to this rating system in masses. This is one of the most well read and responded threads, and very few people have expressed their support for this. The "try it before you knock it" principle is not well received here. Upgrading the software drew a lot of praise and the voice of the community clearly stood out. With regard to this rating system, the voice of the community is standing out and making its position very clear. Many important voices in this community have made themselves heard. I join the ranks of those who respectfully request its removal.

Ed & Lindsey
Sacramento, CA
1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
Repowered with Perkins 4.108 Diesel
Volvo-Penta 280 Drive
MMSI #: 338127697

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 07:10 #158

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

cwiert;665760 wrote: Ok, I get that, and I will. But I'm just curious, and we now have 7 pages talking about this an no one has yet to answer the very simple question, "why?" What benefit does this serve? How does it make the site better?

May not be an easy answer to that question. Perhaps a poll of the members as to keep it or junk it is in order.

Fact is there is not a line of members jumping at the chance to moderate this forum. That being said the mods should represent the wishes of the majority of this membership. If a majority want the feature removed then it should be removed. While the mods have the supreme power when it comes to disciplining members this does not fall into that area. Listen to the membership and if they want to remove this feature then IMO the mods are obligated to do so.

To quote Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind, "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn".

Lastly mods, you should listen to the membership on this issue. This is one time when the majority could rule.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 07:17 #159

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

biohazard;665807 wrote: Like I said guys, give it a chance please. If you dont want it, thats your call, I am aware its not working and I will get it fixed. Theres really no reason to get all worked up about something so trivial.

Theres far other things in life to get so upset over, this is not one of them.

With all due respect what may be "trivial" to you appears not to be so trivial to several members of this forum.

Like I said I don't care either way. Not all change is for the better and like a previous poster said it destroyed a forum he was part of that has to be taken into consideration.

Rick Grew

2004 Past Commodore
www.wrycc.com

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 07:30 #160

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Paul from Hamburg;665997 wrote: Oh, Great. Sarah! We're gonna need more popcorn!

It appears that the initial scores are based on a simple count of prior posts. Going forward, the little star in lower left corner is somehow involved. Personally, I am hoping the admins can include some sort of random number function, just to keep everyone guessing.

As you will notice, the system is not perfect. For example, Sarah is a 4. I am a 3. This needs to change.

Sarah should at least be a 10 . Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Rick Grew

2004 Past Commodore
www.wrycc.com

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 07:38 #161

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Nehalennia;665990 wrote: I am just catching this now. How does it change or get 'tallied'?

You could get a big boost in your reputation if you trade that Sea Ray for a Bayliner.:eek:

Rick Grew

2004 Past Commodore
www.wrycc.com

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 07:48 #162

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 450
Anyone have the thought that this might be an early April fools joke?:rolleyes:

Aw geez, now I have a pair of green things, just like Sarah's...:surr

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 11:09 #163

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

kthoennes;666029 wrote: Oh, and one more thing. I do understand that mods and administrators have a tough job, they do tons of work with minimal appreciation, and I have never chewed on them before. I get all that -- this time however, this martyr reaction -- the old "sometimes we just have to be the bad guys, we're not aways going to win popularity contests but somebody has to do the dirty work" -- is really misplaced. Sorry Ryan. This was an un-requested, really unecessary "enhancement" that many members obviously don't like. This has nothing to do with controlling rudeness or maintaining site performance or refereeing disputes or cracking the whip on bad behavior or any of the other truly difficult but necessary jobs the mods do. This little feature was entirely gratuitous and elective so this time I can't buy the old "mods have a tough job" reponse.

+1 and a Major Rep bump to you! :D

RGrew176;666086 wrote: Sarah should at least be a 10 . Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Oh now STOP :) I am flattered but honestly I should probably be rated w/ a decimal point before that number ;)

jeffw;666088 wrote: Anyone have the thought that this might be an early April fools joke?:rolleyes:

Aw geez, now I have a pair of green things, just like Sarah's...:surr

NICE Pair ya got there Jeff !!! :)

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'97 Bayliner Empress Ciera 2859
Unnamed!
Bravo II Drive ~ 7.4 375HP Mercruiser

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 11:57 #164

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 351
A rating can be manipulated, like any survey.

What amazes me in all this is how as a society, in general, we expect transparency in our government, yet our govenment here on BOC is shocked when we, the populous asks for it here.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 12:15 #165

• Astral Blue
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 12

itsabowtime2;666097 wrote: A rating can be manipulated, like any survey.

What amazes me in all this is how as a society, in general, we expect transparency in our government, yet our govenment here on BOC is shocked when we, the populous asks for it here.

+1! Very well put, Phil.

Ed & Lindsey
Sacramento, CA
1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
Repowered with Perkins 4.108 Diesel
Volvo-Penta 280 Drive
MMSI #: 338127697

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 12:27 #166

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54
I don't know how to rate people, have no idea how to disarm, some have two green boxes.

Stupid stupid stupid:D

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 12:38 #167

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut

Saintjon;666104 wrote: I don't know how to rate people, have no idea how to disarm, some have two green boxes.

Stupid stupid stupid:D

Now you have 2 green boxes too! Granted one is WAY bigger than the other one. You might want to get that checked out.

Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 12:43 #168

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

cwiert;666107 wrote: Now you have 2 green boxes too! Granted one is WAY bigger than the other one. You might want to get that checked out.

I just knew this was going to spread and get bigger. Geek squad help.

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 12:43 #169

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1

We are getting a response from 10 members, out of thousands. I have goten multiple PM's from members stating the opposite of what yuo have said. You dont always see the entire side of things, just what the same people are spamming in this post.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 12:45 #170

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

RGrew176;666085 wrote: With all due respect what may be "trivial" to you appears not to be so trivial to several members of this forum.

Like I said I don't care either way. Not all change is for the better and like a previous poster said it destroyed a forum he was part of that has to be taken into consideration.

I dont disagree, but well never find out if its never given a chance, dont you agree?

As far as destroying the forum, thats a chuckle at best. As others have said, if this feature destroys a forum, we have other bigger problems.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 12:47 #171

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

itsabowtime2;666097 wrote: A rating can be manipulated, like any survey.

We have answered all questions regarding this, I dont see where the transparency is missing??? I did make a post on the purpose of it, I know theres alot to dig through but its back there somewhere. If there is something we have not answered in previous posts then feel free to ask again and I will respond, but I think we covered it already.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
- Carl Sagan

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 13:09 #172

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have found the settings and resolved them. You will all now be able to hide your reputations if you so please. Its under Settings(at the top rightish) > General Settings > Reputation Level : Set to "Hide Reputation".

I am going to do some research on why some people like sarah have 2 green bars and some dont. Its a new system, probably needs a bit of tweaking like anything else.

If there are further issues let me know. Thanks.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
- Carl Sagan

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 13:28 #173

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut

biohazard;666121 wrote: I have found the settings and resolved them. You will all now be able to hide your reputations if you so please. Its under Settings(at the top rightish) > General Settings > Reputation Level : Set to "Hide Reputation".

If there are further issues let me know. Thanks.

THanks. OK, I did that (Clicked "Hide Reputation" and saved the changes, I refreshed some old pages and my 2 rep level is still showing. Maybe it takes some time to take effect? OR maybe it just applies to new posts going forward? I guess I'll find out in 2 seconds after I submit this message! :)

Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 13:28 #174

• cwiert
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut

cwiert;666127 wrote: THanks. OK, I did that (Clicked "Hide Reputation" and saved the changes, I refreshed some old pages and my 2 rep level is still showing. Maybe it takes some time to take effect? OR maybe it just applies to new posts going forward? I guess I'll find out in 2 seconds after I submit this message! :)

Nope, still there. :(

Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

BOC member rating? 23 Mar 2012 13:34 #175

• dktool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • So Much Water, So Little Time
  • Thank you received: 15
I did the "hide rep" setting and saved changes and my lower left star and my rep number are still on my page but at least my little single green thing is not dangling in the breeze now.

" WET EVER "
1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
mmsi 338108404
mmsi 338124956
"I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

It's only a rock, get over it.
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds