TOPIC: Wye River and St. Michaels, Maryland

Wye River and St. Michaels, Maryland 11 Aug 2017 14:28 #1

• rbrauerei
  • rbrauerei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
This is our second season with "Our Dream", a 21' 642 Overnighter cuddy. We haven't been able to get out much this year due to a family illness, but we finally made it out the last two days for our first overnighter of the season. We've had a plan on the shelf for a 2-day overnighter on the Wye River off the middle eastern Chesapeake Bay. The river surrounds Wye Island, a state-owned nature preserve, and is known as a quiet and relatively natural area to boat. It's quite popular with the sailboat community for it's deep coves and side creeks. Like anywhere on the Bay, it can get quite "busy" on the weekends; so, we try to make our overnight trips during the week. We only had time for one overnight this time and decided to anchor in the Wye River and then spend the next day at St. Micheals, a popular boating destination and historic town on the Miles River. We departed our home dock about 3pm and the Bay was relatively calm the last couple days, so we made it from our home creek on the western shore 28 miles across the Bay and up to the Wye River in about 90 mins. Each trip we take, my wife has been aching to get at the helm; the weather was great, so she had the helm most of the way (and she brought her back across the Bay the next day too). There are two creeks, Dividing and Granary on the eastern side of the Wye that are known for their relatively seclusion that we decided to recon for the anchorage. Dividing already had 2 40-50' sailboats anchored; there was still plenty of room for our small boat, but we decided to go the mile or two more up the river and check out Granary Creek. Granary is not as secluded as Dividing since the Wye River Nature Preserve lodge and picnic grounds are located here, but since it was the middle of the week, they were deserted and there were no other boats at anchor. As soon as we saw a Bald Eagle fly over a cove, we knew that was the spot to anchor. We had the creek to ourselves all night and it was as calm as expected (although a car or two did drive past on the island before dark).

Next morning, we slept in a bit and then headed to St. Michaels, less than 10 miles south on the Miles River. We made that run in about 30 minutes and were docked at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum's hourly dock by noon. The CBMM has a lot of slips available for museum members - free hourly dockage and reasonable overnight rates (all the amenities the best marinas offer) - they can accommodate almost any size vessel. The night before the trip we decided to pay the $120 for an annual membership to get docking privileges and considering we'd likely be back again in the future. We were right! Docking at the museum is fantastic; it's quiet and away from the usual marinas and dock bars and you can step off the boat and explore the museum grounds, which are a treasure of Chesapeake Bay maritime history and boating. And the staff are awesome, welcoming, friendly and helpful! And it's only a few minutes walk to downtown; restaurants, shops, etc. And since it was mid-week; St. Michaels wasn't overly crowded with the usual summer infux of boaters and tourists. While Annapolis is popular and has its "charms", I think St. Michaels by boat beats Annapolis in every possible way! We walked into town and had a great lunch of raw oysters and soft crab; tried a couple local beers. We casually explored parts of the museum; I sat on a shady bench watching the boat traffic while my wife did the usual shopping thing. By 4pm we were sitting on the boat having a relaxing beverage. We departed around 5pm and were back at our home dock in about 2 hours. This short 2-day trip more than made up for the days we've missed on the water this season!

Our Dream at dock at the CBMM. I took these photos; my wife has much better ones since photography is one of her hobbies.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Wye River and St. Michaels, Maryland 11 Aug 2017 15:36 #2

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Nice, Rick!! Sounds like you had a nice excursion and thanks for the info on places to go in the Chesapeake. Of course, now those that read the posts on here know it too! Even better, maybe we can do a rendezvous there next summer. I'll have to check it out once "Dad's Dream" gets functional again . . . and in the Chesapeake. I'll have to look up those locations too. Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

Wye River and St. Michaels, Maryland 11 Aug 2017 19:32 #3

• rbrauerei
  • rbrauerei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63

Dadrock33 wrote: Of course, now those that read the posts on here know it too!

James, that thought crossed my mind, but then again, I got the ideas/info myself from others posting online in different fora (especially the sailboat cruisers). So, I think the secrets are already well-known! The Bay has a lot to offer and I think for those of us that can get out on the water during the week instead of the weekends have a huge advantage to experience the "best kept secrets."

And yea, there are quite few Chesapeake Bayliners; we do need to get together, but as always the devil is in the details and schedules.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.

Wye River and St. Michaels, Maryland 14 Aug 2017 01:02 #4

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Well, we were rewarded this weekend with the boat being in the water and ready to run! . . so, of course, we took her out today and ran her for about 90 min up toward Trenton (on the Delaware River) from Dredge Harbor . . . the good news is she's running fine . . . . the bad news is there are still some stuff to fix on the boat itself so another few weeks up there and then maybe a trip down to Middle River where our slip is (already paid for) . . . . will keep you posted on progress.

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds