• Page:

TOPIC: Point Robinson

Point Robinson 13 Jul 2014 18:38 #1

• courtjester
  • courtjester's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 28
Most folks who have boated much in puget sound are familiar with Point Robinson and the problems in the area caused by large ship wakes. Its the easterly most part of Vashon/Maury island and south bound ships make what seems like almost a 90 turn to starboard. That maneuver can throw up some whopper wakes.
Normally if you give them a wide berth you're ok but holy buckets did I catch one wrong the other day.
We had been anchored up in Quartermaster harbor and decided to swing into Des Moines marina for fuel before heading home. As we were coming north i noticed a BIG container ship southbound. I decided to wait for it to pass, on the theory I didn't want to deal with the wake overtaking me from the rear as I slowed to go into Des Moines.
I held a good ways off and started to pass a few hundred yards to her stern.
As I saw the wake approaching it looked like we were going to jump off a cliff. I slowed and hit it at roughly an 80 degree angle. After lifting over the crest we dropped what seemed like an eternity and hit the bottom of the trough like we fell off the back of a truck. Slammed the hinged bow pulpit up, knocked everything off the counters in the kitchen and salon and even bounced the drinks in the fridge hard enough that the shelf holding them up broke in half. All the plates and cups flew out of the overhead cabinet and hit the floor, some even ending up down stairs near the forward stateroom. It was quite a ride up on the flybridge.

Nothing much to be done, just a reminder that that point can produce some pretty amazing ship wakes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Toni & Leila
Orting Washington

1992 Bayliner 4388
250 Hinos

Point Robinson 13 Jul 2014 20:22 #2

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126
I think there probably should be ship speed/wake limits in the PS. I have experienced some HUGE wakes while fishing and the experience is joyless.
Hey - if you remember the ship name you can sue their butts for damages!

Point Robinson 14 Jul 2014 02:31 #3

• courtjester
  • courtjester's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 28

PugetMike wrote: I think there probably should be ship speed/wake limits in the PS. I have experienced some HUGE wakes while fishing and the experience is joyless.

Hey..you got a point..my lawyer is cheaper than theirs for sure.

Its just one of those dumb things that happens in boating. You try and be careful, do the right thing, be aware of what's going on around you but still, at the end of the day, stuff happens.

Toni & Leila
Orting Washington

1992 Bayliner 4388
250 Hinos

Point Robinson 14 Jul 2014 03:45 #4

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87

PugetMike wrote: I think there probably should be ship speed/wake limits in the PS. I have experienced some HUGE wakes while fishing and the experience is joyless.

As I recall a vessel is responsible for damage to structures & moored boats but as far as boats underway - the skipper there has duty to deal with conditions and that includes wakes of other boats.

But I suspect yes your legal costs would be lower than the defense.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds