Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First trip out on Lake Michigan this 4th of July last weekend

First trip out on Lake Michigan this 4th of July last weekend 09 Jul 2014 01:37 #1

• johnoly99
  • johnoly99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey guys,

Just thought i'd post on here that after my 'adventure' of getting a 1988 2455 all back in shape, including an unexpected round of "OMC Outdrive Rebuild Fun", we finally had the chance to take her out this past weekend on Lake Michigan. I called the Michigan City Port Auth on Thurs. morning and asked if they had a slip, and they were happy to have us for the weekend. I really gotta say, in all the years and boating adventures, this marina was one of the friendliest around! We put in at the Trail Creek Marina, guy even helped launch and shove off there, and only charged us $20 to park the trailer for the weekend. Anyways, the wifey drove with the kids to the marina and I motored down the creek to the marina. I did find out that when I got to the railroad bridge, my radio would not transmit, but i could listen. So had to call on the phone to let them know i wasn't gonna fit under it with the top up (short bridge!) Anywho, it was a GREAT excuse to head over to west marine in Michigan City, IN and pick up a new radio and install it in the boat that afternoon. Got to meet some dock neighbors and shot the breeze etc...

Finally, new radio in and dialed, it was time for the maiden voyage! (I've had about 6-7 hrs run time on a local lake before attempting the big lake) We pulled out of the marina about 3pm, and headed south along the lake shore. I stayed about 1/4-1/2 mile out, and just puttered along at 1800rpm or so (5.0 GM) and was reporting an avg. of 8.9 MPH on GPS, so not too bad. We headed about 12 miles south along the lake, then turned around and headed back north. Saw some amazing views of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. I've been on land on them, but never on the water, and it was amazing! We got back to the marina and met up with some family for dinner. Then, we headed back and jumped on just as the sun was starting to set Friday night. We followed a few other boats out the channel and north to watch the fireworks about 5 miles up the lake. It was spectacular, and made the last month and change of working on this boat all worth it, truly priceless. Headed back in, tied up, and spent the night on the boat.

Saturday we got up, well the kids woke us up, had breakfast on the boat, cleaned up at the shower house, and headed out for some perch fishing. I had a blast, but the kids patience ran out pretty quick, so we headed back towards the dunes and motored around for about 2 hrs, let the kids drive (at the putt putt speed so don't freak out) and they loved it. Headed back in and hung out at the dock saturday afternoon and watched some of the guys coming back from a salmon tournament checking in at the fish station, and the neighbor working on his thermostat on his searay 300, nice boat! We ended up eating out saturday too, even though we brought stuff to grill. There were some good restaurants there.

Sunday morning we woke up early, cleaned up the boat and loaded up the truck, then i took the boat back up the creek and we pulled it out, and headed home. All in all, it was a 10/10, even considering the $200 radio i wasn't expecting (which, btw, ended up being about 350 by the time I got out the door at west marine :cheer: ). All that and only about an hr and a half drive from home, I'd say we'll be going back there a lot this summer.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: LeRoyDL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northern Indiana/Michiana area, Lake Wawasee slip
1988 Bayliner 2455 Cierra Sunbridge (For Sale)
1974 Tanzer T22 Sail 6hp
1998 2855 Special Edition "Paradise" 5.7/Alpha

Past:
sailboats from 12-20' on the Puget Sound
1978 Starcraft SS16 70hp
1992 Excel SL20 4.3 Volvo
1977 Ankor craft 15'

First trip out on Lake Michigan this 4th of July last weekend 09 Jul 2014 13:42 #2

• Brad 3055
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 11
Sounds like fun. Impatient kids, tell me it aint so!!!

Brad and Marti

FOR SALE: 2001 Ciera 3055 SE "Straight Up"

Twin 5.7 / B2
Westerbeke 4.5
Raymarine C80
2011 Yamaha VXR 1800
2006 Yamaha VX 1100 Deluxe
Tower Park Marina
California Delta

Sea Ray 370 Sundancer 1995 on the way!

First trip out on Lake Michigan this 4th of July last weekend 09 Jul 2014 13:49 #3

• IndyCiera
  • Thank you received: 2
Glad to hear my home port was a pleasant experience! Yeah, that train bridge across Trail Creek gets me sometimes also. I'll usually hail them on channel 13, and unless a train is in the area, it opens up pretty quick. You can also honk your horn three times and that will signal them. I was visiting with my dad in hospice most the weekend or I would have been out also. Only got down there for lunch and to do a quick cleaning once last weekend. Hopefully we'll see you back again!

First trip out on Lake Michigan this 4th of July last weekend 09 Jul 2014 14:14 #4

• johnoly99
  • johnoly99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey IndyCierra! Yes, it was a great time. I did honk, but the sign said 5 blasts to open? lol. No worries, radios fixed and verified. What dock are you on? We were in slip 515 on the 500 dock for the weekend

Northern Indiana/Michiana area, Lake Wawasee slip
1988 Bayliner 2455 Cierra Sunbridge (For Sale)
1974 Tanzer T22 Sail 6hp
1998 2855 Special Edition "Paradise" 5.7/Alpha

Past:
sailboats from 12-20' on the Puget Sound
1978 Starcraft SS16 70hp
1992 Excel SL20 4.3 Volvo
1977 Ankor craft 15'

First trip out on Lake Michigan this 4th of July last weekend 11 Jul 2014 20:52 #5

• budokai
  • Thank you received: 0

Brad 3055 wrote: Sounds like fun. Impatient kids, tell me it aint so!!!

My fix for that is leaving them home...just sayin ;)

2005 Bayliner 305
Twin Mercruiser 5.0L/Bravo III outdrives
Water's Edge Marina, Grosse Ile MI

First trip out on Lake Michigan this 4th of July last weekend 11 Jul 2014 21:46 #6

• MartyUK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
Sounds awesome, got to let the kids have a go how are they gonna learn and enjoy the water. Let my 20 month granddaughter control my 175 putt putt speed,,,,,loved it . happy boating my friend ,,,,

Marty UK
BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND
2001 175 BR Capri ...3 litre GM Mercruiser ( Alpha 1 gen 11 OD)
"THE VOICE OF THE SEA SPEAKS TO THE SOUL"

Ramsgate Small Boat Owners Assoc.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds