• Page:

TOPIC: LAST cruise of 2013

LAST cruise of 2013 29 Sep 2013 12:44 #1

• tonyiiiafl
  • tonyiiiafl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 42
We have opted to haul early this year, Saturday October 5th. The season has been just too great with no storms, no issues to try and extend it into the cooler weather. However, wouldn't you know today is perfect weather! :banghead Anyway, we showed up with supplies in hand to change oil and be done until next week. However, the light N/NE wind and like glass sea conditions called us to one more short run. However, it was LOW tide and in some spots of the channel it was at 2' unless you know your way around it. (We are cheduled for a dredge this late October, so next year should be better. ) We motored out slowly to the Cohassett Narrows channel into the Cape Cod Canal. When in the Canal, I usually give it throttle SLOWLY and bring up on plane since the speed limit is 10 MPH. Well, not many people around and you know how people obery speed limits, I gently made the turn into the canal (Widest canal in the world, and 40 to 50' deep) and did something I have not done before. I said the magic word "GIDDY UP" (ALWAYS say that when we get to the spot I open her up) and I NAILED the throttle. Our 28.5' Contessa which is 29 years old SHOT out of the water and was on plane within 3 seconds and within 15 seconds we were going in excess of 30 mph. The Admiral looked at me and usually says, 'Slow Down or What the Heck are you doing?" Today she said, "Wow, you really have put your heart and soul into this boat. Let's see what it can do today!" So we cruised out of the canal within 3 minutes and then I let the throttle go to WOT. We immediately went from 4000 to 4400 and hit 37 MPH and she made us proud. One Marina member who is always giving me crap because I keep it around 18 to 19 radioed to use "NEW BEGINNINGS, I see you gave her some Geritol today!".

We cruised around for another half hour and then came back at dead low tide and did not run aground, now THAT is teh end of a GREAT season. I changed her oil, greased the PDS bearings and we will empty her out during the week. A spot is already reserved in the driveway for her arrival Saturday Oct 5th where I will winterize and cover her, for her long winter's nap.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/812321=41237-30 mph.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tony, Cape Cod, MA
Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
454 Merc Cruisers inboards
"HOLODECK"
2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
www.bourneyachtclub.com

LAST cruise of 2013 29 Sep 2013 13:45 #2

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
GOOD FOR YOU! ...I'm fixen to wake up FISHIN00 from it's summertime NAP....my season runs from Oct thru April down here in Fla!:arr

LAST cruise of 2013 30 Sep 2013 18:04 #3

• unixdood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
awesome year tony. Too bad we didn't hook up. Lets plan for sure next year. I haul on the 5th also

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bill, Lisa, Chris, Alicia, Jake, Chelsea
Just'in Time
1988 Luhrs 342
Twin 7.4 Crusaders
http://www.amesburymarina.com/

LAST cruise of 2013 30 Sep 2013 23:52 #4

• tonyiiiafl
  • tonyiiiafl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 42

unixdood;812657 wrote: awesome year tony. Too bad we didn't hook up. Lets plan for sure next year. I haul on the 5th also

YES! Next year there qill be no excuse for us to meet in the Boston area and have our own rendevous! I look forward to it!

Tony, Cape Cod, MA
Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
454 Merc Cruisers inboards
"HOLODECK"
2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
www.bourneyachtclub.com

LAST cruise of 2013 02 Oct 2013 06:03 #5

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
I feel bad for you poor people that only get to boat for a short time. We boat all year round here, we don't even know what winterising is:D I will think of you all every time I go out and consider how lucky I am to live in this great country, Australia.

David
1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds