• Page:

TOPIC: Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 23 Aug 2013 09:07 #1

• Peter W
  • Peter W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 25
After a long period of preparation, the time arrived for us to commence the trip. Our previous longest time on the hook, had been 3 nights, so this one was planned for about 10 to 12 days, with a marina stop in between. We had a ball to attend the night before, which meant that I could not get my monies worth of the drinks package. Anyway, home around midnight, for an early start.

This was our destination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sandy_Strait

Here we are leaving harbour early Sunday the 11th, with the weather prediction being a light southerly to give us a gentle push for the 100 nautical mile run up the coast. The Admiral was not happy about being "offshore" so I had a friend on board, with her driving up the next day to join us, with my friend taking the car home. A solution that suited everyone.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

After arriving in Tin Can Bay after some 6.5 hours travelling at 15 knots, swapping my friend for the Admiral, Monday took us to "Gary's Anchorage" which is a well protected spot, and just so beautiful. This was taken from a companion boat.

Tuesday we travelled a short distance to Bookar Island, which gave us protection from a nuisance level northerly. We dropped 2 crab pots on arrival, and had trouble the next day. I need to give more thought to tides etc. When I dropped the pots, it was in too shallow water, so next morning, they were above water in mud, that when I hoped out of the tender, went up to my knees. It meant that I could only retrieve one, and had to leave the other. This was in the one we did retrieve.

More to follow

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peter W
"Sajesar" MY 3988
RQYS - Marina, Manly
Brisbane, Australia

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 23 Aug 2013 09:48 #2

• Peter W
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On the next day we travelled to Urangan Harbour. This is the major harbour for what is know as Hervey Bay. A well regarded departure point for whale watching tours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hervey_Bay

Humpback whale migrate between April and November. They travel to warmer waters and the return. We spent the night in the largest marina, and the next morning were greeted with the sight of a whale on the marina arm, exciting the guests that were boarding the charter boats. If you have not seen a humpback whale before, here you go ...

The next day we had a 2 hour run back to the northern part of Fraser Island,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser_Island

to a beautiful Black Nest Beach. The white sand was just so inviting

From there we made our way back down the Straits in preparation for the trip home. Our first night was back at Bookar Island and to my surprise no one had stolen my crag pot, so it was retrieved. Had a sand scab , which we for got to photograph. We stopped at the Kingfisher Bay Resort for lunch :-

http://www.kingfisherbay.com/

and then spent another night at 'Gary's Anchorage' relaxing before our trip home. The interesting part was the forward view or the weather was not looking good. My friend only had a 2 day window to drive up and help me bring the boat home, however the Tuesdays and Wednesdays forecasts were dreadful. So the Admiral stepped up and did the home trip under calm conditions on the Monday. What a trooper, until we meet the traffic at our home harbour. My comment was "settle girl, they are 4 nlms away .... :)

We arrived safely in harbour and had a great trip. If you want to do the same let me know.

Cheers

Peter W
"Sajesar" MY 3988
RQYS - Marina, Manly
Brisbane, Australia

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 23 Aug 2013 17:17 #3

• wallabysailor
  • Thank you received: 1
Man I am so envious. Being from Brisbane originally it really makes me homesick to see Tin Can, Fraser and such. Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next!

"True Blue"
'84 Ciera Sunbridge 2450
AQ225D/280 Outdrive
MMSI: 338108637

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 26 Aug 2013 13:01 #4

• wilko
  • Thank you received: 9
Wish I had known you were in our Marina I would have tracked you down and said Hi!!
I have my 2655 in there and had spent the week end before out and about.
Maybe next time we can meet up at one of the anchorages??

Cheers
Lee.:smileflag

Wilko ; )) Cierra "98 2655
My Dream would be to Navigate Around Australia.........with a Petroleum Company as my Major Sponsor ; )))))))

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 29 Aug 2013 08:22 #5

• Peter W
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

wilko;805859 wrote: Wish I had known you were in our Marina I would have tracked you down and said Hi!!
I have my 2655 in there and had spent the week end before out and about.
Maybe next time we can meet up at one of the anchorages??

Cheers
Lee.:smileflag

Lee, within this site, is an Australian Bay Owners group. Perhaps we should all become members and check that regularly, to see the movements of other members. I had posted I think here, when I queried things, that I need the information in preparation for this cruise. Some how I see all boat owners being real social people and happy to meet others.

Cheers

Peter W
"Sajesar" MY 3988
RQYS - Marina, Manly
Brisbane, Australia

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 01 Sep 2013 09:36 #6

• wilko
  • Thank you received: 9
thanks for the reply. I joined the Oz Bayliner site about 1 month ago and have
placed some info on it and will try to update my activities as much as possible.

Cheers
Wilko::drum

Wilko ; )) Cierra "98 2655
My Dream would be to Navigate Around Australia.........with a Petroleum Company as my Major Sponsor ; )))))))

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 27 Oct 2013 06:19 #7

• Rosdeb
  • South East Queensland, Australia
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi, I'm new to Bayliners, big boats and this site. Great to find some fellow Queenslanders here. I look forward to sharing adventures with you and others and no doubt asking for advice along the way.
Cheers,
Ross

Ross & Deb Pedley
Toorbul, Queensland, Australia
Ex: 1989 Bayliner 2655 Sunbridge
Upgraded to 2007 6.2L MPI Mercruiser with BravoII
Sold Feb 2015

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 25 Nov 2013 08:24 #8

• Peter W
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Ross and Deb. We join a cruise group most Easters that run up to Mission Point each year. Let me know if you might be interested in saying G'day. If you would like to join for the 4 days, I will try to ask the cruise leader for the OK. There is also a 4788 with us. Amongst the group, the boats range from 28 to say 50ft

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosdeb

Peter W
"Sajesar" MY 3988
RQYS - Marina, Manly
Brisbane, Australia

Our Week on the Great Sandy Straits 25 Nov 2013 09:14 #9

• Rosdeb
  • South East Queensland, Australia
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Peter, Deb and I would love to join the group (if allowed), if not for the whole four days, at least a couple of them. Do you stay the whole four days at Mission Point or is that just the destination before you turn around?. Any further info would be appreciated. We don't have much of a knowledge of Moreton Bay Bay or many friends with boats so we would be keen on joining any other cruising activities and destinations you guys might get up to. Cheers, Ross

Ross & Deb Pedley
Toorbul, Queensland, Australia
Ex: 1989 Bayliner 2655 Sunbridge
Upgraded to 2007 6.2L MPI Mercruiser with BravoII
Sold Feb 2015
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds