TOPIC: Weekend at Pitt Lake

Weekend at Pitt Lake 12 Aug 2013 05:01 #1

• joe440
  • joe440's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Went to Pitt Lake for the weekend. We left on Friday evening about 7pm. Made good time cruising with the incoming tide. As we entered the lake the wind was picking up and 1 ft chop. We set anchor in Raven creek marine park about 8:30pm. The sun had already set behind the mountains. It was the first time that this small bay was empty. I anchored in 30ft of nice calm water.Woke up at 3am the wind and waves were picking up and it wasn't so calm in the bay any more. It was pitch black it seemed to me we had moved at little and I didn't want to end up on the rocks. I moved closer to shore and some calmer water in 16 ft.Woke up at 6:30am very quickly with a hard bump. Jumped out of the cave and saw we had definitely dragged anchor this time. With my sleeply eyes checked the depth sounder. It showed 16 ft. I'm looking in the water as we are very close to shore, bump again, double checked the depth sounder.......1.6 ft. Used windlass to drag myself to deeper water. No damage :)Decided to move to calm waters in Pitt river as the wind and waves were getting worse. The sky was filled with dark clouds and saw lighting.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

After getting some sleep we woke up with the wind howling. No dragging anchor this time, it's a thick mat of weeds and clay on the bottom. It started to rain, so we put up the top and moved to calmer waters again. lol. We beached the boat on a nice sandy beach. The clouds broke and the sun was shining by 11am. Later some boats came and we were invited to a birthday party. What could we do ? The tide was out and our boat wasn't going anywhere for hours. the people and party were great. The Admiral (right) with new friends. :)

After the party we moved back up river to anchor for the night. I wanted a nice bed for my anchor after the previous night. Woke up again at 3:00am, the wind was blowing, the water wasn't too rough but made a lot of noise slapping on the hull. Again the day started with clouds and then the rain. It was looking ugly. We choose to head home and call it a weekend.

The Admiral was great, she never once complained about the weather, only saying we need a bigger boat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 3288
"Defiant"
5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

Weekend at Pitt Lake 13 Aug 2013 00:56 #2

• gulfcoasters
  • Thank you received: 0
The Admiral was great, she never once complained about the weather, only saying we need a bigger boat.

I've heard that before...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bill Seelmann
2007 Larson Cabrio 310, The Beach Potato
Pensacola, FL

The mysteries of life:
Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.
Tom T Hall
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds