TOPIC: Block Island, RI - FOG!!!

Block Island, RI - FOG!!! 08 Jul 2013 16:21 #1

• cwiert
  • cwiert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Connecticut
  • Thank you received: 8
Had a great trip to Block Island last week. I just thought I'd share a few highlights and performance numbers.

I left our marina in Deep River, CT on Tuesday and went to Watch Hill for the night. Apparently Taylor Swift just bought a house there. Saw the guards/gates, but not Taylor. Bummer. :(

On Wednesday, we left on a nice sunny day towards Block Island, which is about an 18 mile ride. We made it half way and hit the fog. Uh-Oh. I'm not a fan of fog, and I have no radar. But it didin't seem too bad, I could still see maybe .25-.5 miles, so I kept moving, although slower. When I made it to the enterance of the harbor, it was soup. I could see nothing. I could barely make out another boat maybe 60' away from me, and then another, and then another. It's a tight enterance to the harbor, and there must have been 10 boats all trying to get in, but no one could see anything. Stressful to say the least. I called on the radio to a boat in front of me that had radar, and told him I was going to follow him in, and that's what I did. Once in the harbor, the fog lifted, and all was good. Safely on the hook and a couple beers later, and my heart rate went back to normal.

Luckily, going home was uneventful. Just a 2-4' chop for the first 10 miles or so. After that, smooth sailing.

All in all, the trip was 115.5 miles and I burned 104 gal of fuel. 1.11 mpg. And that's with a boat LOADED with gear, bikes, Honda genny, dinghy, 9.9 motor, and 2 adults 2 kids there, and 4 adults and 5 kids on the way back. (We met our friends out there and gave them a ride home). But 1.1mpg is about what I remember getting last year too for the same trip. I was mostly cruising at 3700-3800 RPM and doing anywhere between 21-25 knots depending on wind, tide and seas. There were a few no wake zones in the river, and I went slow during the heavy fog, but most of the trip was at cruise speed.

I'll try to post some pics when I load them on the computer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
Bravo II drives
Closed-cooling

Block Island, RI - FOG!!! 09 Jul 2013 08:44 #2

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
I had a fog experience with my 3055 in 1999 during my first season. I added radar in 2000. It is a great tool to have when in fog.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Block Island, RI - FOG!!! 09 Jul 2013 09:53 #3

• Ags8th
  • Thank you received: 1
I got fogged in 1/2 way to Block from Newport, with no radar. Came to rest to wait it out but left the boat running. Hit the horn every 45 seconds or so for a good hour.

Thank God I had left the boat running. From the south, I first heard and then made out a darkness in the fog - put it in gear and headed east in a hurry. A 30'er was moving at a good clip and must not have had radar, because he occupied the same spot I was previously in a few minutes later.

You know that stuff that emerges from the pit of your stomach in your mouth - it took a few hours for it to subside.

Former 2452 Owner
Lucky C's
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds