Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Journey of a Lifetime

Journey of a Lifetime 24 Jun 2013 13:38 #126

• justvisiting
  • justvisiting's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We anchored out last night in Richardson Bay(?) and got the snot beat out of us. I had left one of the forward hatches open so I could fall asleep listening to the fog horn. It was great to fall asleep to but at some point in the middle of the night I was awakened by a hurricane going through my cabin. Between the wind, the boat jumping around on the anchor and the waves slapping against the boat it was kind of tough to get back to sleep.

I woke up at 0600 this morning, showered and now feel like a new man. Doug had the coffee ready and life is good.

Here's the name and slip number of the marina we're headed to....
River Point Landing
4950 Buckley Cove Way
Stockton, CA 95219
209-951-4144
B7003. “B” dock, 70’ slip 03.

Stuart had mentioned an informal dock party for any who wanted to show up. The beer will be cold and the smiles large!

If you're in the area and would like to come down and share a cool one, you're more than welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Cat 580hp 3406C's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 24 Jun 2013 13:42 #127

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 24 Jun 2013 18:35 #128

• telebob
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6

I was awakened by a hurricane going through my cabin.

That area of Sausalito is, oddly enough, nicknamed Hurricane Gulch. The wind effect is caused by the local topography. There is a gap between the surrounding hills which funnels the air flow and creates the speed increase. At times it is quite pronounced.

Ayala Cove at Angel Island on the other hand, has no hurricanes, has nice moorings and shore amenities...only a stone's throw from Hurricane Gulch or the Richardson Bay derelict fleet.

1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685
Alameda, CA

Journey of a Lifetime 24 Jun 2013 21:34 #129

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
they arrived! And the poor Bayliner didn't get a roof after that long trip unless GPS located them a few feet to the side.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Journey of a Lifetime 24 Jun 2013 22:04 #130

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
We were meet by several members of other boating clubs. They had blue tape across the opening of the slip. We broke through... Now tied up safe and sound and looking forward to packing up and heading north... Great adventure and journey.

BTW, I am available to do this again... lots of work but lots of fun...

We are under shelter with one more boat shelter toward the river. Following Seas is facing west so the pilot house will be great for those California sunsets. Of course the metal roof will be a blessing for those 100+ degree days... Got the AC on now and its only high 60's here today... Humidity is horrendous...

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 24 Jun 2013 22:39 #131

• Nikko
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
Excellent news - glad y'all made it safe and sound. I've totally enjoyed "riding with you" - thanks for a great job on keeping all of us up to speed on the adventure and looking forward to the re-caps that i know are coming.

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 00:03 #132

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Our anchorage in Sausileto...

Heading to River Landing but still a couple of hours of river running to go...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 01:10 #133

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA
  • Thank you received: 276
Doug,

sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up but I'm at work until this weekend when I will back to the Delta. Supposed to hit 100 degrees Saturday:D

www.boatyardgm.com
www.pacificyachtimports.net
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 03:29 #134

• TRider
  • Thank you received: 2
Guys

Its 8:30 is it to late

Doug W

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 17:03 #135

• justvisiting
Nothing new to add in the way of photos or videos. I have some that I haven't loaded but I'm too pooped to participate right now. As I write this Doug and I are sitting in the Sacramento airport waiting for our flight to Seattle. Both of us are exhausted and looking forward to getting home. I have a 3.5 hour drive ahead of me that I'm not looking forward to but that's life in the little city. Doug has promised me a 5-hour Energy Drink once we get to Seattle so I can stay awake on the way home. I might need it.

To make a very long (10-days long) story short, this trip was pretty successful and fun by all measures. I have some final thoughts to add but that also will have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. It meant a lot to each of us to know there were many at home watching as we made the journey. In a way, having all of you out there kept us grounded. Well, maybe that was the wrong choice of words when dealing with a boat trip. What I probably should have said was it helped to keep things in perspective.

I'll check in tomorrow to post the photos and videos. Later Guys and Gals!

Tired GFC

Cat 580hp 3406C's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 17:21 #136

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
We had a few visitors yesterday when we pulled in to the dock. Mike videoed the landing and will post that in the next day or so.

We had visitors most of the afternoon and after dinner, Astral Blue, (Ed, Lindsey and Jaden) stopped by and dropped off two containers of ice cream. The trawler forum guys also dropped off more Klondike Bars. We could not pack the ice cream in our luggage but want to thank you all for the kind thoughts and ice cream fix... In fact, I am sure Lindsey is a little upset because I gave Jaden a big bowl of vanilla with chocolate chip and he was bouncing around the boat a few mins afterward (sorry about that). We had a good talk about everything and of course the Delta area and that helped Stuart get settled into his new home.

I agree with Mike's assessment and will also post some final thoughts shortly (in a day or so probably). Just had a good breakfast and enjoying free wifi at the gate waiting for our flight. Also just got a call from a dear friend who will pick me up from Seatac on his way home vice having the Admiral drive to/from the airport... Thanks Ron!

I am looking forward to some R&R at home with the Admiral and the dog, mowing the lawn and picking some fresh strawberries growing in the hanging planters. Then clean the boat and go out for a good FAST cruise... LOL...

After that I am game for another transport of someones yacht... yes, it was that much fun... work, but fun...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 17:35 #137

• Brad 3055
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 11
Sorry I missed you guys, glad you made it to the Delta. Sounds like a great trip.

Brad and Marti

FOR SALE: 2001 Ciera 3055 SE "Straight Up"

Twin 5.7 / B2
Westerbeke 4.5
Raymarine C80
2011 Yamaha VXR 1800
2006 Yamaha VX 1100 Deluxe
Tower Park Marina
California Delta

Sea Ray 370 Sundancer 1995 on the way!

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 18:21 #138

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Thanks Guys! That was a great trip.:arr

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 20:17 #139

• Nikko
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
Someone else needs to do a trip lie this now - I'm in withdrawl :)

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 20:21 #140

• Astral Blue
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 12

Go Aweigh2452;790281 wrote: We had a few visitors yesterday when we pulled in to the dock. Mike videoed the landing and will post that in the next day or so.

We had visitors most of the afternoon and after dinner, Astral Blue, (Ed, Lindsey and Jaden) stopped by and dropped off two containers of ice cream. The trawler forum guys also dropped off more Klondike Bars. We could not pack the ice cream in our luggage but want to thank you all for the kind thoughts and ice cream fix... In fact, I am sure Lindsey is a little upset because I gave Jaden a big bowl of vanilla with chocolate chip and he was bouncing around the boat a few mins afterward (sorry about that). We had a good talk about everything and of course the Delta area and that helped Stuart get settled into his new home.

I agree with Mike's assessment and will also post some final thoughts shortly (in a day or so probably). Just had a good breakfast and enjoying free wifi at the gate waiting for our flight. Also just got a call from a dear friend who will pick me up from Seatac on his way home vice having the Admiral drive to/from the airport... Thanks Ron!

I am looking forward to some R&R at home with the Admiral and the dog, mowing the lawn and picking some fresh strawberries growing in the hanging planters. Then clean the boat and go out for a good FAST cruise... LOL...

After that I am game for another transport of someones yacht... yes, it was that much fun... work, but fun...

It was great meeting you guys! No worries about the sugar high on the five year old. He crashed before we arrived at our marina...and let us have a very comfortable sleep last night.

Stuart, keep in touch. We'll connect soon.

Ed & Lindsey
Sacramento, CA
1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
Repowered with Perkins 4.108 Diesel
Volvo-Penta 280 Drive
MMSI #: 338127697

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 21:15 #141

• Kåre L
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4

Nikko;790308 wrote: Someone else needs to do a trip lie this now - I'm in withdrawl :)

That was my thoughts too. Stuart, are you going back anytime soon? :)

Kåre
1990 3288 MY twin Ford 351's "Celuna"
Lighthouse Marina, Lake Murray, SC

Journey of a Lifetime 25 Jun 2013 23:17 #142

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
the next one should be NH to FL to keep the balance..... After this it may be good to have a WA to NH (or NH to WA) via the Panama canal. I guess we can't wait until the Chinese have build the Nicaragua Canal.......

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Journey of a Lifetime 26 Jun 2013 01:22 #143

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
  • Thank you received: 50
Great job on this thread I really enjoyed it. It was almost as good as being there

Journey of a Lifetime 26 Jun 2013 04:05 #144

• justvisiting
I'm finally back home after a good flight and a ~3 hour drive from Seattle to the home digs. My brain is mush, I'm too wired to sit down and too tired to stand up.

On the way home on this side of Snoqualmie Pass I watched an accident in my rear view mirror that I'd bet was a fatality. I'll cover more of that tomorrow.

It sure seemed nice to eat dinner on the back patio and watch the Columbia River roll past. It's almost mirror calm out there and it's a welcome change from what we had for a couple of days.

I'm headed to bed soon and will post my remaining pics and videos tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Glad-to-be-home GFC

Cat 580hp 3406C's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 26 Jun 2013 22:23 #145

• justvisiting
Last Day

We raised the anchor and pulled out of Richardson Bay under grey skies and a light sprinkle. We headed up into the bay and just slow cruised toward the new home slip for Following Seas. Here are a few pics of what it looked like….

We spotted this beautiful lighthouse home not long after leaving Richardson Bay…

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here’s a shot of the happy crew as we got closer to the marina….

and here are three shots of Following Seas in her new slip…..

and last but not least, the rumors of Stuart’s arrival must have gotten there ahead of him. Here’s his welcoming committee…

As we got safely into the slip and tied up there was a welcoming committee waiting. They had stretched a length of blue tape across the opening to the slip so we’d have a “finish line tape” to break as we backed in.

After getting her safely secured in the slip the cold ones were opened and a small but lively celebration started.

Here are also some videos I took on the way from Richardson Bay to the new slip….

continued......

Cat 580hp 3406C's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 26 Jun 2013 22:52 #146

• justvisiting
Just a little tid bit of info to add on….

During our trip we posted on five threads, boatingabc, clubsearay, iboatnw, trawlerorum and baylinerownersclub. At this point those threads have been viewed 19,550 times and there are a total of 853 comments posted.

Thanks for joining with us on the trip and the postings. It makes me feel good to know there are many out there who had fun with us.

Cat 580hp 3406C's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 27 Jun 2013 04:21 #147

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

justvisiting;790587 wrote: Just a little tid bit of info to add on….

During our trip we posted on five threads, boatingabc, clubsearay, iboatnw, trawlerorum and baylinerownersclub. At this point those threads have been viewed 19,550 times and there are a total of 853 comments posted.

Thanks for joining with us on the trip and the postings. It makes me feel good to know there are many out there who had fun with us.

Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with the rest of us. I totally enjoyed following your trip.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Journey of a Lifetime 27 Jun 2013 14:11 #148

• justvisiting
Reflections on the Journey of a Lifetime…..

In the past when I’ve taken trips on the boat I’ve posted threads similar to this and after the trip is done I’ve come back and posted some of my thoughts and recollections of the trip. That’s what this post will be and I’m hoping it will provide some closure to a great trip for all of us.

Before I get started on this though, I’d like to thank Stuart for providing the opportunity for me to make this trip. From before I had even considered being a part of this I recognized that it would be the trip of a lifetime and it was. So Thanks Stuart. It was fun, I learned a lot, and had a great time.

I’d also like to thank Doug for being the kind of guy he is. I learned many things from him and appreciated his good nature, his ability to joke about things and to hang in there when the seas got a bit rough. As an example, while I was hanging over the galley sink depositing my breakfast, Doug was making a pulled pork sandwich. He was kind enough to ask me if making the sandwich was going to upset my stomach even more, saying he’d go up to the pilothouse to eat it if I wanted him to. It wouldn’t have bothered me, but just the fact that he thought to ask makes a huge comment about the kind of guy Doug is. I hope we get to do some boating together again in the future. I’ll let you show me around the San Juans and points north!

In one of the forums I’ve posted my ‘blog’ on someone mentioned a feeling of depression when the trip is over. He likened it to a post-partum depression. Well I can assure you right up front that none of us delivered a baby on this cruise but I am feeling a bit sad/depressed that the trip has ended.

All of the pre-trip excitement that comes with high expectations for a great cruise, the hours spent on planning to make sure you have everything you will need, the menu planning I did (more on that later) and just the excitement of the new adventure kept me on a high for several weeks. As the departure date grew nearer the smile on my ugly mug grew wider.

I went into this journey not as a new boater but as an experienced boater heading out on a new adventure. I know that at some point GW and I are going to take Beachcomber up the coast of WA and into Canada. This trip was to be, in many ways, a training mission for that. I’d never spent much time on the ocean and I’d get that experience on this trip. I’d never done any real long distance trip planning and route planning and I’d also get to do some of that on this trip.

I was going into the trip with high expectations and I was not disappointed. Yeah, we were disappointed by having to hole up in port a few days, but that’s part of boating. The rough weather we experienced on the way to Ilwaco was a bit more than I expected but with 20/20 hindsight I’m glad we encountered that rough water because now I have a better sense of what it means when they say “swells of 5’-8’ and a 1’-2’ wind chop on 10 seconds.” I know the next time I’ll stay in port if the heights of the swells + wind waves = the wave separation time. Ain’t no reason for this kid to be out there trying to prove to mama nature that I’m capable of handling anything she can throw at me.

I’d never met the other two (Stuart and Doug) I was to cruise with before we met at the boat. There’s always a bit of apprehension about being thrown into a boat with two guys you don’t know for 7-10 days. Experienced boaters have developed their own styles; their own ways of doing things. When those styles don’t fit perfectly with the styles of the other two there can be conflicts…..and there were. The good thing is the conflicts were all minor and we were able to resolve them on board. The cops didn’t think they were a big problem either. Just kidding…no cops were harmed in the making of this trip.

Following Seas performed nearly flawlessly. When you figure that Stuart just got this boat about 3 weeks before we departed and spent much of that time installing air conditioning and other equipment, it’s not surprising that he knew the boat pretty well. There were a few small glitches but nothing that couldn’t be easily rectified. For example, the porthole windows in my stateroom leaked. Not just a tiny bit, they leaked a decent size trickle. As fate would have it, there were no hangars on board so I had put my clothes on the shelf beneath the window. The one where the water ran down and soaked all my clothes. Stuart applied a couple of coats of silicone sealant around the perimeter and that fixed it. It took a couple of days for my bedding and clothes to thoroughly dry but that’s OK, I lived with it and we did OK.

We ate like kings on this trip. I had done the menu planning, bought all the food ahead of time, prepared some of it before I left home and fixed the rest of it on board as we traveled. I planned on meals for four people for 8 days. There were only 3 on board and we ate dinner out twice in Eureka so Stuart is not going to have to buy groceries for awhile for the boat because there will be lots of stuff left over. Dinner menus consisted of a beef roast, two pork roasts, a fresh halibut filet, salmon, and an assortment of fresh vegetables, corn on the cob and all sorts of snacks and cheeses. Lunches consisted of pulled pork sandwich meat made from the pork tenderloin roasts. Nobody was going to leave this boat lighter than when they first stepped aboard.

When I take off on a trip such as this I try to mentally prepare myself for any eventuality. I don’t like bad surprises when they pop up. I can gladly say that on this trip we had no bad surprises. Well except for maybe the day we were headed to Ilwaco and I gave back breakfast. That was the first time I’ve ever ralphed from motion sickness. When Doug and I hiked up to Costco in Eureka I got some killer pills to take care of that. I took them the day we left Eureka and, while the waves weren’t as large as we’d seen before, I felt no queasiness at all. Thanks Costco.

So all things considered I’d have to say that this trip was a great success. I learned a lot about long distance navigating, about rough water boat handling, food prep when the boat is rocking, and how AIS is such a benefit. I certainly won’t say that we couldn’t have made this trip without the AIS, but it was nice to have. Radar, on the other hand, was absolutely essential. I would never even try a trip like this without a good Radar and chart plotter. The importance of those two cannot be overstated. Having heat and a/c on the boat made it much more comfortable. We used both at varying times and it was nice to have them.

Following Seas is a very nicely equipped yacht. It’s about the same length (60’) as my boat but about 1.5’ wider. That additional space is very nice. It’s also a very comfortable boat. It’s hard to draw a comparison between Following Seas and Beachcomber. There are some things about this boat that I like better than mine, but also things about my boat I like better than this one. That’s natural. Would I trade? Nope. Stuart and I were talking one day and he asked me what I would change about my boat. I honestly couldn’t think of anything major that I would change because I’m very happy with Beachcomber.

Well I guess that’s about all I have to say at this time. If anyone has any specific questions about any of this or about the trip in general, fire away and I’ll respond to them.

GFC

Cat 580hp 3406C's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Journey of a Lifetime 27 Jun 2013 19:26 #149

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
I particularly enjoyed following you guys on the SPOT messenger. Did you guys (Stuart) rent the raft and EPIRB by the day? Or is that a weekly rental?

I've got exposure suits and the dinghy, but I think the SPOT might make a nice extra piece of gear for the ditch bag. Fun toy for tracking the journey too.

Journey of a Lifetime 27 Jun 2013 20:16 #150

• telebob
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
BTW - the lighthouse in the first photo is the East Brothers Light. It sits on the largest of two small islands (The Brothers) at the entrance to San Pablo Bay. It's now a bed and breakfast hotel. The light still operates as does the fog horn LOL.

1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685
Alameda, CA
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds