Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Close Call

Close Call 07 Sep 2008 02:22 #1

• acelockco
  • acelockco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, so we were out on the lake last weekend heading out to a little beach we like to anchor at to do some swimming. It is a no wake area as it is a narrow channel, lake rules make everything within 200 feet of shoreline a no wake zone, the area is less than 400 feet from shoreline to shoreline.

Anyway, we were heading toward that area from the open lake, going at about 30 knots or so. As we headed into the channel, I cut back the engine and slowed to no wake speed. It sounded as if my engine was still reved up at high rpm, so I looked back and was shocked to see a boat heading right toward my stern from directly behind, and he was moving fast. It happened so quickly I could not have even jumped out of the way if necessary, thankfully the driver made a last second turn hard to starboard. As he was making the turn I noticed a small child (8-10 years old) on water skies was being towed behind. As the boat turned it whipped the kid at high speed right toward my stern. Thankfully he was able to make the turn right before hitting my boat. He was no more than 2 feet behind my boat as he came past us. While all of this was happening, the boat could not turn very tightly because of the speed and wound up running aground on the beach where we swim.

I could not believe what had just happened, and what had almost just happened! I was really shaken over the situation as I looked at my wife in disbelief. I dropped anchor right there and watched as the boat unloaded and everyone just pushed the boat back into the water, loaded back up and started water skiing again like nothing happened. Not only did they not say anything to us at all, they obviously did not feel any concern for the near serious accident. The other thing is they did not even care to check out the boat or outdrive, but it kicked up a ton of rock on the beach. I know the prop must have suffered some damage and the intake surely sucked up sand.

Anyway, we decided to purchase Boaters Insurance the following Monday.

I really was not sure how to react to the situation, I did not expect them to get their boat off the beach, and they actually did it within a minute or so. I was hoping that the authorities would have seen the commotion, I would have loved to tell them what had happened.

Funny thing, now I am so worried about other boaters, I don't even want to go out on the lake during the weekend when all of the schmucks are out.

Oh, by the way, when we got back to the boat ramp (we decided to call it a day at that point), there was a large boat on the trailer sitting in the water, but still on the ramp. There was a huge line of boats and cars waiting for the ramp. I got off my boat to get the car, while my wife stayed with the boat. I got in line behind the other trailers waiting their turn. Anyway, I was waiting and waiting and waiting, then I started to wonder what was going on. This is already 1/2 hour from when I got back to the dock. I decided to walk back down to the dock to see what was going on. The boat was still sitting there on the trailer, but in the water. I walked up on the dock and the guy had the engine hatches open and was working on the engines. He had parts all over the deck and his socket set open. No shirt on and a rag in his hands. I explained that he was blocking the dock, and he quickly proceeded to start curse me out. I could not believe the nerve of this guy. I felt I needed a little backup at that point so I walked back to the trailer lane and explained the situation to a few of the people in line. Suddenly there was a rather large angry group of us that was gathering near his boat. Of course he could not help but notice us as his wife holding their child looked at us and told him something. I stated pretty loudly that if someone did not move that rig, that the trans might accidently shift into N, funny how quickly he decided to move his rig from the ramp! At least his wife looked pissed at him too, what a smack!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gas, Grass or Ass
Nobody Rides for Free

Close Call 08 Sep 2008 07:39 #2

• fishntoss
I don't mean to be one of those sm cks, but.. You're driving your boat around without Insurance?? Wow.... You can't be from California... lucky you... Something happens here and you don't have insurance, you can pretty much kiss your boat and most everything else you own goodbye.. That would surely make some lawyer here very happy...

I'm in no way shape or form an experienced boater, but, I've learned in my short boating life, that you don't make a move unless you've looked all around you before you make one. God only knows what the other guy is doing behind or off to the side of you. Again.. no insurance??? Wow.......

Even if someone had done something stupid like come up so close that he had to make an evasive action like that.. I don't think I'd drop anchor after he hit shoreline. A probable .. Hey you guys okay, need a hand.. man that was a little close..... It's a no wake zone in this area.. might want to watch that next time... Somethin....

Does a boat with internal cooling have a pick up for water cooling???

How about a Hey guy.. lines gettin tied up .. I'll be happy to move the rig if you want to keep working on the boat... We all have a bad day from time to time... But, a threat as to somehow your truck might go into Neutral??? Dude, after they took you to a hospital and me off to jail.. Think how long the line would be then....

I take it that there was no official type person watching the docks to, complain to or at least take charge of the situation. A half hour to launch or retrieve, seems like that would've sent up some signals to someone in charge. Especially if the engine cover is up...

Sorry you had a bad day out there. At least you got to go out. Wish I could say the same...:arr

Tom Bassett
2000 Bayliner 1850LX
3.0 Mercruiser

Close Call 08 Sep 2008 21:18 #3

• acelockco
  • acelockco's Avatar Topic Author
Well I do have insurance now, so no worries there.

As far as the second guy at the dock, things did start off as "hey, do you need any help?", which was quickly replied with a "no I don't need any F@#$ing help!" Of course I was already on edge because of the other incident, so I was not prepared to take any more crap.

Anyway, everything worked out. No worries.

Gas, Grass or Ass
Nobody Rides for Free
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds