Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scenes from Eastern Long Island Sound

Scenes from Eastern Long Island Sound 19 Aug 2008 13:37 #1

• 2 Buoys & a Gull
  • 2 Buoys & a Gull's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
After last weekend's debauchery (or lack thereof) with the bachelor party, it was time to take the crew over to my folks place for a family get together with my sister's kids. It's the one time a year when my parents have all 7 grandkids under one roof at one time, and it usuallys serves to remind everyone why we only do it once a year.However, this was the first time I would be coming with my 3 kids by boat, so that added not only a great diversion for me, but also some much needed sleeping accomodations.I set off Friday about noon from Mystic with my crew. The admiral would be working all day and taking a ferry over in the evening to meet us. We had a great LI Sound crossing, that started up with the procurement of 84 gallons of gas at $4.14. That was as low as it's been all season on the Mystic River, and, just two weeks ago, I would have driven my car to the end of the dock for that price.I love the Mystic River because of the wildly varied traffic it sees. There are ocean going schooner rigged multi-million dollar yachts and 40 year old Boston Whaler skiffs, and no shortage of tour boats too. There's the recently (last year) commissioned "Mystic", a brigantine rigged tallship:
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/187627=4109-The Mystic.jpg and the "Sabino", a 100 year old steamer that has its original coal fired engine:
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/187627=4110-The Sabino.jpg When you get out of the RIver, you are in the relatively sheltered waters of Fishers Island Sound, a day sailor's paradise. Just west of Fishers Island, you enter the eastern end of Long Island Sound. Here, you will encounter some of the many ferries operated by Cross Sound Ferry, that make hourly crossings from New London, CT to Orien Point, NY. The most interesting one (IMO) is the MV Cape Henlopen, which crossed my path on this trip:
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/187627=4114-LST 510.jpg The Henlopen saw prior service as an LST. She was LST 510, and she landed tanks and troops on Normandy on D-Day +1 (June 7, 1944).Of course, the best part of seeing these sites is the impression they make on the crew:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I like to keep them interested in the local maritime history, which is not too difficult at this age. Kids love ships.For lighthouse buffs, there's no shortage of those either. In our 20 mile trip, we pass Morgan Point light in Noank, Race Rock Light off eastern Fishers Island, New London Ledge (the last manned lighthouse in America), Coffee Pot light in Plum Gut, and this interesting light off Long Beach on the North Fork of Long Island:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

It's commonly referred to as Bug Light, but I don't know what the USCG refers to it as. It does look like a bug though. For $500, you can rent it out for the weekend. I've never done that, but it does sould like a unique way to spend a weekend.I've only had my boat for three weeks now, but I've crossed Long Island SOund 8 times with it. So I was able to make some effieciency calculations with the data, and I've determined that my 2859 runs best at about 3250 RPMs, I make about 18 knots then, and I'm burning about 8.5 gph.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scenes from Eastern Long Island Sound 19 Aug 2008 13:43 #2

• 2 Buoys & a Gull

Scenes from Eastern Long Island Sound 19 Aug 2008 16:26 #3

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
well, a successful weekend for sure. Kids had a blast I'll bet... Great economy on that size boat too. If I could learn to slow down, I could do better too...

Teach those boys to fish... They will never forget...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scenes from Eastern Long Island Sound 19 Aug 2008 18:15 #4

• 2 Buoys & a Gull

Go Aweigh2452;187701 wrote:
Teach those boys to fish... They will never forget...

They have Lightning McQueen rods, and they practice casting all the time in the yard. They've got the knack for that. Unfortunately, the one time I tried to take them fishing from a boat, there was a tremendous amount of wake coming from the channel and we were rolling more than they liked. This was on my dad's Shamrock 26. I'm going to take them fluke fishing in a more sheltered spot to try again in the future.

You're right about never forgetting. I remember fishing on my dad's 21' Proline walkaround 25 years ago. Even landing a porgie was a major thrill for a little kid.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds