Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 26 Jun 2008 03:28 #1

• seapuppy
  • seapuppy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
well..it's finally here....tomorrow if the gods are with us ...we'll be heading out with 2 other boaters up to friday harbor for fuel and then into Canada for 9 days by boat...
We're heading up to several of the Canadian Gulf islands...
after checking in at S. Pender island's custom point at Poets cove....then we'll head north to otter bay for the nite...
the next day we're scheduled for 2 days at Thetis island...this is the farthest north we've ever been.....
after that we're off to maple bay for a great lunch....and then down to brentwood bay resort spa marina....stay there for a few days and then up to sidney for a few days ..returning on the 5th...I'll take my laptop so I can post the adventure if we can scab a signal....if not...I'll get on when I can...

Hope everyone has a great summer....we've been planning this all yr...so we're really pumped about getting up and out on the boat for 9 days....

Later...:D

:arr arrr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 27 Jun 2008 01:31 #2

• bradc344
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, can't wait enjoyed your post last year we even stayed 4 days at Brentwood Bay on your recommedation loved the place, even found out the best place to shrimp from a local , he even gave us a half a bucket full they were great ...enjoy yourself ...Brad

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 27 Jun 2008 02:45 #3

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks brad....I'll be posting best I can!!..glad you enjoyed brentwood....I loved that place so much we're gonna go back!!..;)

:arr arr

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 28 Jun 2008 23:05 #4

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well..this is the first time I've had to be able to write some of the adventures...we got up at 6am...packed and tossed the dogs into the truck and headed for the marina to load and go..met up with Puget Mike/Virginia and Dale/Kate...Dale has this beautiful regal 3360....gorgeous boat....
Mike was at the river dock's of Dagmars and Dale was waiting for us at everett.....we all formed up and headed for friday harbor for gas and lunch...the weather broke to clear and nice water....I was really worried about the deception pass and straights of rosario due to the NOAA reports were calling for 1-2 ft waves gusting to 3....that usually says rough ride....well...we got there and it was a mill pond going across...we even beat the victoria ferry thru deception pass...
....made it to friday harbor and topped off the gas tanks....then walked the town a little to find a restaraunt for lunch....
back underway I took the lead to get us to poets cove...the water was flat still and we checked in with canadian customs...finally back underway and headed north to otter bay ....they finished all the construction from 2 yrs ago and it's really nice...we still got bounced around quite a bit due to the ferry coming in..but that's ok....it was fun to hear marsha bounce off the shower walls in the head while taking her shower.......:kidding
next morning we got up ..had breakfast and got underway at about 11am...the water leaving otter bay was lumpy to say the least....once we got clear of this little passage north we had pretty nice water all the way to thetis....
the docks at thetis are old...but the staff is very friendly...nice restaraunt.....good beer.....little general store and liqour store....but....hey...we're here for 2 days and they have free wifi...can't complain...
Thetis is in this little inlet that lets the wind channel down from some hills...gets a little windy but not bad....so far everyone seems to like it here and this is only the second day!!....will post more as the time and energy allows!!..right now it's nappy time!!..:D

ok..it's actually sing jimmy buffet songs and drink some rum!!..

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album707

:arr arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 29 Jun 2008 00:31 #5

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126
*picture removed from server*

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 29 Jun 2008 03:07 #6

• fishntoss
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow, Now that looks fun... Great pix and nice video... Looks like beautiful country... I see some people in shorts. Weather is warm?? Enjoy the trip....:arr

Tom Bassett
2000 Bayliner 1850LX
3.0 Mercruiser

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 29 Jun 2008 05:07 #7

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
weather is PERFECT!!!...mid 80's...light winds....just great...and no humidity...

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 29 Jun 2008 13:21 #8

• hfxjack
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
If you look straight ahead from your position on the far shore you will see a boat ramp . Across the street is a self serve store. Not sales person just a cash box to put your money in. They have pie to die for and jams that are out of this world as well as fresh veggies. All sales are on your honor.
We stay at the other marina. Ron and Barb are great people better shore amenities and less wind. Plan to be there this weekend.

John McLellan White Rock BC
"Halifax Jack"
1999 2855 383 stroker BII
MMSI 316004337

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 29 Jun 2008 14:33 #9

• Rick Bunzel
Seapuppy,

We leave on the 2nd for Desolation. We are going with a 38 Bayliner and 37 Nordic. Check-in at Pender and then to Montague. Hopefully Whiskey Gulf will be open and will have a nice crossing of the Georgia Straits. It will be our first trip with our 2850.

Any tips you have are welcome!

//Rick

Rick
2850 Command Bridge
Aq260 280DP

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 29 Jun 2008 15:46 #10

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Rick..
I sure hope you have a great trip...watch the weather...should be fine this time of yr....plan your fuel stops......I'm not familiar with Desolation sound...we sure would like to go next yr....maybe that can happen...anyway...have a great time..take lotsa pic's..

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 30 Jun 2008 00:25 #11

• Merridale
In the town of Chemaius, a short boat ride or ferry ride from Thetis, there is an excellent dinner show which is presented almost daily. Playing now is "South Pacific". We make a point of visiting at least once a year for the great food and the show. The town itself is very interesting in that there are murals painted on most of the buildings down town. Check out the theater on the web for show and dinner times.

The gas dock near the Chemaius ferry terminal usually has the best fuel prices, if that means anything in today"s world, in the area.

Chemainus is a place well worth visiting or staying over night.

Brian Walker

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 01 Jul 2008 01:24 #12

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well...now that we're in a place that actually HAS wifi....I have a chance to write some before dinner...Thetis marina's wifi went down yesterday and never came back up...which sucked....cuz we had such a great time...we walked over the hill (which for me was a killer)...and caught the ferry over to chemainus....as Brian said...the town is incredibly cute....there are statues and murals depicting everything from miners working to loggers and WW1 and WW2...almost every major building has a mural....the ole town is absolutely cute....food's not bad there and we had a great time walking the town and enjoying the weather...it was really warm so we had to duck into AC buildings every now and then .....we caught the ferry back to thetis and walked the mile over the hill back to the marina and our boats.....after everyone had a chance to rest and eat....Puget mike and Virginia took off to explore on thier dingy....when they got back they let us borrow thier dingy to do the same....it was a blast.....stopped at the other marina (telegraph marina) and explored a bit and came back to thetis marina.......about 10 pm everyone went to bed.....got up this morning and after showers and breakfast we all got underway...heading south for maple bay for fuel and lunch...everyone seemed to enjoy maple bay ...after lunch we got underway again heading to Brentwood bay marina...just awesome........day 4 of 9 days and 5 more to go!!....I'll upload some photo's later....

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 02 Jul 2008 23:24 #13

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Wednesday and we're in the final days of our vacation...we got up this morning at brentwood and grabbed a shower....the inn/marina had great wifi as opposed to last yr where it was spotty at best...we all went to dinner last nite by everyone buying 2 items from a local chinese place...everyone got 2 different items and we all smorgasboarded on Dales gorgeous Regal 3360....11.5 beam and 34 ft long...gorgeous boat.....we all had a great meal...talked a bit and great laughs.....finally everyone was tired and we all went to bed...
This morning we got up..walked the dogs and went up to the inn for breakfast...
After breakfast we all got underway since the weather guessers missed again....they were calling for nasty winds and all...but it was smooth as glass...
Mike and Virginia led the way and we followed with Dale and Kate bringing up the rear.....once underway we headed north and made the turn towards sidney and for mike/Virginia..headed towards Roche harbor....
the drive around the north end of sidney was pretty nice...alot of little islands and it's shallow in alot of places...so we had to really watch the fishfinder for shoals and all..
finally made it to Sidney harbor and it's definitely a nice marina....unfortunately ..we're on the last dock....where it's like friday harbor...a mile away from anything.....but ...it's extremely well protected and close to town....

hope everyone has a great 4th...we're hear for 3 days...

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 03 Jul 2008 02:51 #14

• FishingFool
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Enjoy your vacation. I know we all work hard to enjoy our time on the water and your vacation sounds great!

Bryan Clement
1977 Uniflite 38
Twin 310 HP Detroit's 671N
8KW NorthernLights Gen Set
2008 13 foot Boston Whaler Sport w/40HP Mercury
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 03 Jul 2008 04:55 #15

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
thanks Bryan...
so far so good...we're talking about renting a car for the day and going to victoria for a day..

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 03 Jul 2008 14:55 #16

• bradc344
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Great reports ,enjoy the rest of your vacation and victoria it is a cool place,we will miss brentwood this year but it a great place ,Sidney is also on top of the list ,if they only had a pool . We got stuck out on the last slip one year it is a long walk ,I gave up and took the dingy up to the other end ,I was doing some work on the boat and was up in town alot .
If you like fish and chips go up to fish on 5th if you have'nt tried it yet ,it is up the main street north on 5th about a bolck down ....enjoy the trip home and boat safe ,....Brad

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 03 Jul 2008 15:56 #17

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
well..last nite was not fun...the tides came in with alot of crap and seaweeds all over the place....stank to hi-heaven....then the storm came in and rocked us all friggin nite...it was a charged storm and we got lightning strikes all around us last nite.:eek:..lucky for us we're between sail boats....so hopefully they would have struck their masts than us:D ....

today we woke up to cloud cover and coolish temps...which after having several days of nice warm water....so now we have to bundle up...but we're talking about renting a car or seeing if there is a shuttle bus to victoria...we've been to victoria many times and it's a gorgeous little city....
oh yeah..I posted a bunch more photo's on the gallery section......I'm on Broadband express and it's terrible for posting pic's..they kept crashing my laptop last nite..

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 04 Jul 2008 04:48 #18

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
after walking the town of sidney...and resting for awhile...we talked and decided tomorrow to head home...sidney marina was very disorganized and not a fun marina to be at....1) we were placed on "H" dock ..the farthest from the ramp to shore you could possibly get....it's a loooooong walk....so...we got a refund for tomorrow and decided to head home.
So...Tomorrow the plan is to get underway at about 0900 hrs and head for friday harbor...on the way we're hoping to find some whale watching boats and get a peak at some orca....then check in at US Customs...then drive over to Blakely island for the 4th of july....spend the day there and return on the 5th....this has been a really great vacation with some awesome people to hang with....

I'd like to thank Puget Mike and Virginia for joining us on this adventure...they are a blast to be with out on the water.....
I'd also like to thank Dale and Kate for wanting to come along also....we've enjoyed everyone's company thruout this adventure...

:arr arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

canadian vacation 27jun-5jul2008 06 Jul 2008 03:32 #19

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi guys and gals…

Well..our adventure is over and we’re really exhausted….the trip was spectacular and everyone thanked me for putting it all together and make the reservations….Dale and kate had never gone so far on their new boat and was really nervous about going up north as far as we did…….I’ve only known Dale from last yr and he had a 26 ftr …he took one look at ours and had to get a 33ftr….which is a gorgeous boat…..
Well…after we left thetis and headed down south to brentwood for a few days…we split up from Puget mike and Virginia….they had plans to meet up with the Edmonds yacht club’s get together at lopez island….
Dale and I made our way to Sidney marina where they were supposed to have free wifi…nope…didn’t happen…..I had to buy 3 days of broadband xpress…which was aweful…it was hit and miss….I got so upset cuz half the time it didn’t work or it went down while I was writing….plus although the marina was pretty nice…we were out in the cheap seats….we were way out on the last row and it was a mile walk…when you have 2 dogs that poop….it pays to be close to the ramp….we had reservations for C dock…they put us way out on H dock….so…we asked for a refund for one day and decided to call it a day and head back to the States…..
We checked in with US customs where the agent was funny!!.....had a few laughs with her and then we headed over to blakely island marina….
This is definitely one of our most favorite places in the San Juan islands….Blakely island is a hidden gem….well..Dale and Kate loved Blakely island also…..we stayed there for our final nite and sometime during the nite the weather went south….we had full up SCA’s (small craft advisories) all the way home…we took a beating to say the least….I lost my VHF antenna…snapped in half…my mast light broke off too…..so..now I can’t go out until I get those fixed…
It was aweful coming home but we did make it and I know Dale/Kate/Mike/Virginia had a great time also and we’re already looking forward to the next outing we can get together and meet up again…
Thanks for following my post…..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds