Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale

Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale 15 Mar 2008 05:51 #1

• playdoughted
  • playdoughted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 15
When we arrived at Marlowe Marine, last wednesday, Mar 5th, the brother-in-law's (Ken) new to him boat - 2005 53ft Marlowe had been pulled, and survey was underway. Everything checked out top drawer and it was back in the water and out for the seatrial. What a boat. Ken has a 55 Fleming and I would have to say the Marlowe is a notch up on it. The only thing the Marlowe doesn't do well is run at 10 to 14 knots. The underwater exhaust at those speeds causes a noticeable vibration. Ken did the paper and the wait began for the PO to do his. By thursday noon, provisions on board, ready to go - no paperwork. Friday a cold front comes, the paperwork doesn't. Bill, Marlowe's new boat manager does a four hour walk-thru with Ken and I. The best I've ever seen. Bill tells me, they usually do the trip to Ft. Lauderdale in 2 days but once in one 17 hour day. He gives us the 40 ish waypoints for the voyage. We go back to the hotel in wind, rain, thunder and lightning. Saturday the weather is worse, we spent a couple of hours putting the waypoints in the laptops and start talking about trying to hire Bill to come around with us. We arrive at the marina, the paperwork arrives, we approach Dan,the brokerage manager about hiring Bill. Bill isn't available so Dan calls one of their delivery skippers. A check on the weather, Sunday looks good to go. 4 oclock we move the boat around to a local yacht club so won't get held up by the low tide in the morning.
9:00 sunday Wyn our skipper is on board, the lines are cast and we're away. Wind is out of the east and on our beam but over the night it has flatten out to a chop ranging 2 to 4 ft. Stabalizers on, we're very comfortable running 18-19 knots. Crab traps everywhere. Each on it's own small 4" buoy. An extra pair of eyes help. The autopilot at times is more of a pain than a help. Around 4:00 we pull into Marcos Island. Diesel is $4.85 a gal so we only put on 100 gal for our safety margin. Wyn calls a friend who has a 70 ft Marlowe and we're invited to stay the night at their dock. John is a builder as are Ken and I, his wife is Canadian so lots in common. They lent us their vechile and we were off for dinner.
The lines were cast at dark-thirty for the twelve hour run across Florida Bay, under the bridge at channel #5, and up the coast outside the Keys and inside the reef. We tied up just before 7 pm. Tuesday was spent preparing " Cloud Nine" for the freighter and 8:00 am wednesday, we were winging our way back home to Victoria.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale 15 Mar 2008 13:35 #2

• Vitnary
  • Thank you received: 0
And in NJ I keep looking at the blue shrinkwrap, and counting 30 more days!!!!

I am sooooooooooooooooo jealous!

Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale 15 Mar 2008 15:50 #3

• dmcb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
That sounds like a great boat. Wish I could have seen her.
Thanks for the nice write up.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale 17 Mar 2008 03:26 #4

• playdoughted
  • playdoughted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 15
Doug - if I had known St Pete. was so close to Snead Island would have invited you over for a tour and a chat. Here a couple of thing I noticed different between PNW cruising and Florida. 1) Red Right Returning isn't always so. My intrduction to the ICW. 2) First time ever seen (I think) a red marker and a green marker on the same piling. Entrance to Marcos Island. 3) You Florida guys must have alot more pucker-power than I do - running a 60,000 lb boat, with a 5.5 draft, at 19 knots in 6 ft of water, throwing a mud trail out the back down thru Florida Bay had me glued to the helm's chair. Guess that's why we hired a Captain. Wyn said Marlowe runs their 86 footers thru there the same way. Hope the front that hit Atlanta last night stayed well north of you. My kid brother is down there visiting his daughter, told my mom never seen anything like it. Ted.

Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale 18 Mar 2008 02:15 #5

• dmcb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
We live in Inverness Ted. About 75 or so miles from St Pete.
I would have liked the visit. We get to St Pete a few times each winter.
Glad you made it ok.
Front didn't bother us. Just a little more wind than usual but nothing serious.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds