Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Puget Sound Orcas

Puget Sound Orcas 25 Nov 2007 15:03 #1

• mattkab
  • mattkab's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm still getting to know my new (to me) powerboat, and decided to spend the day with a friend salmon fishing.

I don't have downriggers yet (Santa may help with that), so we were relegated to trolling with divers, squid jigging, and mooching. We also dropped a crab pot for a few hours.

We didn't have any luck catching fish (or crab, other than a red-rock we released), but they were around. We saw 4 fish caught by other boats, and they were all over the fishfinder screen. Also the baitfish were everywhere - birds (including a bald eagle) were feeding on them all day. Bottom line is we weren't discouraged by the empty catch-record-card. :-)

Besides, the highlight of the trip was on the way home.... We intercepted a pod of Orcas traveling south into Dalco Passage past Quartermaster Harbor! This was my first encounter with Orcas ever!

For those that know the area, we were leaving Quartermaster Harbor, heading home to Foss Marina, and we saw them coming from the Piner Pt. area. I killed the engines and waited -- and the entire pod moved past us.

Lots more pictures at:
http://www.matt-megan.us/Album/Album.aspx?ID=45

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks,
Matt B.
1986 Contessa Flybridge with Twin Volvo 5.0L engines -- SOLD
1984 CHB Trawler -- FOR SALE
https://mvcesc.wordpress.com/

Puget Sound Orcas 25 Nov 2007 15:14 #2

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That's fantastic...we ran across a pod a number or yrs ago..cut the engine and the whole pod came over and decided to go right under us..one female rolled upside down and rubbed her belly along our hull....the big male came down the port side and his huge 7ft dorsal fin....amazing.....the wife just about came out of her skin!!..she loves animals so that was one of our most exciting accidental meetings...
oh..and welcome to the zoo:arr arrrr

Puget Sound Orcas 25 Nov 2007 21:42 #3

• oh_wells
Beautiful!!! We have yet to see any orcas but I'm sure as we continue boating in the Sound, we'll get our sighting eventually.

1996 2858
"Oh Wells"

Puget Sound Orcas 26 Nov 2007 19:13 #4

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Lucky you, I know the area well I am over at Chinook on the Hylebos water way myself, probably been over 25 years since I have seen killer whales in commencement. Your pics show me they still come around. Nice to have that camera ready when needed.

Puget Sound Orcas 01 Dec 2007 17:24 #5

• GWest
I have been fortunate to come across orcas a number of time both in Canadian and US waters.

Here is a link to a site that tracks them. If you come across any do as others have indicated: keep your distance and kill the engine.

http://www.orcanetwork.org/sightings/map.html

The first time I happened upon them I was in a 17 ft bowrider with the wife and kids. The went right by us. It was sureal.

Knotty West
2001 2655
5.7 BIII

2001 2655
5.7L BIII
"Knotty West"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds