Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: November on the Willamette

November on the Willamette 11 Nov 2007 19:44 #1

• Canemah_Patriot
  • Canemah_Patriot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
We just returned from an overnighter on the upper Willamette River. What a beautiful Autumn day! Despite forecasts to the contrary, we had a warm, sunny day yesterday and a clear sunrise this morning. We cruised up the river and stopped for dinner near Champoeg State Park, where my brother motored to join us on his Polaris PWC. As the early evening settled over us, we made the downriver run to a place commonly called "the Narrows," which is mapped as Rock Islands.

We have a favorite spot there where we can drop the anchor and feel like we're in near wilderness, even though we're only two miles from home and civilization. We got up this morning to sunrise over the river, with little rivulets of fog rising off the water, and we watched three deer swim across the river just 50 yards from the boat.

Coffee, eggs, bacon and English muffins for breakfast. A couple of early morning fishermen motored by. Then we pulled the anchors and idled back home. Now we're getting ready for our afternoon open houses (the Admiral and I are both real estate brokers). We just love these mini-vacations, especially on these rare late-season weather breaks!

But, alas, the trailer is out of storage awaiting the inevitable. We'll have to pull Patriot out for the winter before the next storm brings high water and floating debris downstream. Boating season is probably over--but then again, I said that last week. There's always hope.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ken & Linda, Canemah Oregon
1984 Bayliner 2750 "Patriot"

November on the Willamette 13 Nov 2007 22:52 #2

• II Lucky
  • Thank you received: 0
Ken, I too enjoy the upper Willamette in the fall. I called all of my buddies a few fridays ago and could not get anyone able to take the day off. I launched solo and cruised to Newberg and back to Wilsonville and had one of the best days of the season. I always practice at the docks at Charbonneau, Newberg, and Hebb Park. The fall is great because all of the skiers are gone. I took the admiral out on that Saturday and did the same cruise. We had the full canvas on the boat but the river was all ours. Great time of year. Anytime you need crew, give me a call.

II Lucky
97' MAXUM 2700 SCR
7.4L BII

November on the Willamette 16 Nov 2007 02:29 #3

• Navigator53
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree Ken and Bryan, we live near some great water!

Use caution near Newberg, when the water is low, there is an unmarked concrete piling that can be just below the surface on the right hand side where the bridge crosses. (or utilties cross, can't remember)

Also, on the way to Oregon City, there is a section where it looks like one should go to one side of a small island but it littered with rocks.

We were on plane years back when the boat in front of us settled down and so did we, looking ahead I said to the other boater "do you see what we see?"

Is was a rock in the middle of the channel. Had to ask some local fisherman on how to manuver thru it.

Two of our boating friends did $$$$'s worth of damage in that stretch.

Wish I could tell you exactly where but haven't been there since.

Talked to the Sheriff and they said charts don't help because the current rolls the boulders around all the time. (the reason they use jet drives)

Also, by Oregon city used extreme caution even when guided by the markers, nearly took the out drive off a 16 foot boat there :mad:

Mel

1991 3055 Avanti 7.4 Bravo II
"THREE HOUR TOUR..."

November on the Willamette 20 Nov 2007 23:57 #4

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Ok so you guys bum me out!! I grew up in Boring Oregon. I spent many days on the willamette river. when I was a boy scout I canoed from the Mckinzie river to down town portland during rose festival we went through the locks at oregon city in canoes. I used to put my boat in at wilson velle and boat in that area. Well nice to here that its still a great place as now I live in Spokane Washington

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds