Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stretching the season

Stretching the season 05 Nov 2007 13:47 #1

• ColonyCove
  • ColonyCove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The promise of a beautiful fall day prompted me, the Admiral, and Rexie the Wonder Dog to take a Hudson River ride. When we left the marina it seemed like the river belonged to me, the commercial guys, and the police. As the day wore on other late-season boaters appeared, even some Bayliners, which always makes me wonder if they belong to BOC. We had lunch on the hook under the Palisades just north of Englewood.
Watching life go by on the river is a great pastime. Always an interesting vessel or two. This time we saw a PT boat northbound; a real one. There is some kind of PT boat museum/rebuilding center up in Kingston, so maybe this boat was from that "base". Also saw a 1920's express commuter in fabulous condition. Just two more weeks for us until the start of the boater's mean season; so if you still can, get out there and enjoy.

Safe and Happy Boating!
ColonyCove

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stretching the season 06 Nov 2007 04:32 #2

• Gilligan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 17
I wish I didn't have so much work on the boat to do... I'd be in 'till mid November easily.

Well, maybe next year.

Mike C.
1985 Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge :coo-
Brand New (2013) Custom Volvo Penta 7.4GL with Full closed cooling
Duo Prop and SS props:go-
Through hull exhaust with fiberglass mufflers and through hull raw water intake
35 Gal. FW Tank, 10 Gal. Holding Tank
9'6" Baltik Dinghy with Evinrude...

Stretching the season 06 Nov 2007 10:02 #3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Bill glad to hear you got your boat back in the water :) .Maybe we'll meet on the canal next year.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Stretching the season 06 Nov 2007 13:41 #4

• ColonyCove
  • ColonyCove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Gilligan:
You can do a lot of interior work on the boat in the winter. My marina has AC power to the yard all year. I use an adapter to plug into my shorepower. Naturally it doesn't give me 50A dockside power, but it is enough to run the onboard electric cabin heaters while I am there on low setting, plus a drill or small electric tool and the coffeepot. I also have a propane "Heater Buddy" which can keep the cabin toasty warm in winter even without any electricity. I do not disconnect my CO alarms as some do, because I periodically recharge the batteries using the AC; so no more than usual precautions are necessary with the propane heater. For those of you with no marina power, a portable generator like my Honda will accomplish all of the above too. The two benefits are that you get work done that does not take away from your time on the water, and you stay more connected to your beautiful boat.

Wayne:
Thank you. Can't say for certain, but I might get up that way next summer (I can never get enough of the Canal). We will not pass by your town without giving you a call if we do.

Safe and Happy Boating!
ColonyCove

Stretching the season 07 Nov 2007 00:20 #5

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Can't say for certain, but I might get up that way next summer

Bill..On june 28th we start a 2 week trip . One week doing the Finger Lakes and another week doing the Lake champlain.:)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds