Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Reunion Run on SeaScape

My Reunion Run on SeaScape 19 Oct 2007 15:49 #1

• Markim
  • Markim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As many of you know, I reluctantly sold SeaScape back in August, as we moved from the Chesapeake Bay area to land-locked Fort Worth, TX. I was lucky enough to have my girl purchased by my daughter’s soccer coach. His Admiral had been after him for some time to buy a boat, and mine seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I had said early in the process when a potential buyer asked me “when do you want to sell?”, I said “the day before I move”. As luck would have it, we exchanged title and funds on the Sunday before I moved to TX, and I went with him to move the boat to a new marina on the Wednesday before we left town on Saturday. That day, Chessie was smooth as glass, it took us 1 ½ hours to move her to her new home, and all I did was navigate and act as lookout. It was a fun but somewhat sad day on the boat for me.

However, one of the conditions that I laid out for him, somewhat jokingly, was that whenever I came up for business, that he would have to take me out for a cruise.

Fast forward to this past week, when my wife and I went to MD for personal reasons. A friend of mine had just been promoted to Captain (Navy) and was assuming a new command, so we flew up to attend the ceremony. I emailed the new owner (Scott) and asked if we could squeeze in a ride on Saturday. He wrote back that he and his Admiral were free all day, and they would love to go out for a cruise. He offered as an alternative to go to the Annapolis Boat Show, but I said “no, that would be very hard on me”.

That Friday it was very breezy, with whitecaps on the rivers and swells in the bay. I was afraid it was going to be too rough to get out, as my Admiral has some lower back issues. However, we awoke Saturday to “fair winds” and arrived at 9:45 AM at the marina.

Since we had purposely kept our Saturday empty, we elected to go across the Chesapeake to St. Michaels. It is a small town on the eastern shore, with rich colonial history and great crab cakes. As we left the marina and headed towards the bay, we stopped at the local gas dock. It was certainly enjoyable just holding the lines, and not pulling out the credit card!!! Upon entering the bay, it only had a small chop, which was a relief, as I was afraid that it might alter our plans. Since Scott had been captain for only 2 months, he asked for some trim tips, etc to make the ride as smooth as possible. He also offered to let me drive, but I declined at the time, electing to simply enjoy the ride.

After cruising for 1:20 across the bay and arriving at St. Michaels around 11:45, we walked into town and did some window shopping and took pictures, then around to the local crab house. We sat next to the water and enjoyed watching the boats come in and out of the harbor. After a filling meal of crab cakes, we walked back the boat and departed for home port.

Upon leaving the dock about 2:15, Scott again offered to let me pilot. This time, I accepted, and felt the old feelings course through my veins as I took the controls. It was great having the wheel in the hands and the wind in the hair!! After about 15 minutes, I relinquished the helm back to Scott, and enjoyed a beer while the two Admirals sipped their wine. I asked about any maintenance issues, etc and went through a few things with Scott. The bay was a little rougher than earlier, as the wind had picked up some, but not uncomfortable. We arrived back at the marina about 4:00 PM.

It was a fabulous day. In the four years I owned SeaScape, I only once ventured to the eastern shore, electing instead to spend most of my time on the Patuxent River with calmer waters. It was great seeing St. Michaels and even better to enjoy SeaScape once again, even though it felt a little strange since she wasn't mine any more.:(

I came to a conclusion though. I either need to schedule regular business trips to MD, or buy another boat!!!:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Reunion Run on SeaScape 21 Oct 2007 06:46 #2

• MikeNY
  • Thank you received: 0
Buy another boat, It is in your veins! We all move on to bigger and better things. Just think about how happy Scott and his family are with your old boat. I know, I sold my car that I had for twenty years to a young man in Ohio. His father said that he was so excited to find a car that he was looking for and I felt good knowing that it made him feel like I did when I owned it.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"
1999 2002 W/A with 150 Mercury Bluewater O.B.

My Reunion Run on SeaScape 23 Oct 2007 22:27 #3

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Heya Markim:

That stereo works GREAT!
I've even got into MP3s with it. Funny how my musical tastes revolve between 1965 and 1975. Some damn good music back in the day!

Glad to hear you and your's are doing well.
I just got back from a flight to San Antonio. (couldn't take boat on plane though, somethin' about my Smart Tabs interfering with the rudders, or some such nonsense). It was a crystal clear day and I was amazed at the sheer number of lakes in Texas. And, true to Texas, many of them are, well, just plain BIG! I have relatives that sail on Texoma which is just north of Sherman. I think that's over a 100K acres. Certainly not as convenient as your old haunts but certainly worth the effort. goole Texas lakes and they have a great state web site that will give you all sorts of excuses to get another boat!

Anyway, here's hoping you get floating soon. Nice hearing from ya.

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds