Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Exploring Lake Eildon for the 1st time

Exploring Lake Eildon for the 1st time 08 Oct 2007 01:10 #1

• snoopdolks
  • snoopdolks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all.

Hopefully this will be the first of a number of post-weekend entries I can make in the Captain's Log in the coming months as Winter finally breaks Down Under. Pics are attached below.

As a re-cap, I've owned our little 175XT since January this year and have really only had the opportunity to use it a few times on Port Phillip Bay, which is a very unpredictable body of salt water and you have to pick your days when venturing out in such a small boat.

This weekend, after much investigation on-line and talking to friends on some Aussie sites, I decided to take the plunge and go and explore a new spot. Lake Eildon is currently only 23.5% full after we have suffered more than 10 years of relentless drought in Australia, but that's just enough to get the boat in at the Jerusalem Creek Inlet ramp.

http://g-mwater.ddsn.com/article.asp?ContentID=lake_eildon_rec_

We had a beautiful clear day forecast with light winds and a temp of around 17 C (63F).

With no fingers at the ramp, the day started with the Admiral reversing the trailer, boat, kids and I the last few meters down the ramp so I could reverse the boat off while she parked the trailer - for the very first time! She did a great job and stopped shaking about 10 minutes after we got underway.

We cruised around for a while and headed up Goulburn Arm for about 10km and then stopped for a coffee and a bit of a snack for the kids for an hour or so. Given the low water and the trees protruding far from the edge we simply tied up to a reasonably solid tree that was around 10 feet out of the water rather than risk snagging the anchor 60 feet down. I also needed to keep a keen eye out for the huge number of floating branches and the odd tree seemingly reaching out of the depths to grab my outdrive or gouge my beloved gelcoat! There was no way a new speed record was going to be achieved yesterday.

After a break, we headed back towards Jerusalem Creek and then NE to the Eildon Weir which is a huge structure built in 1927. You can see in the pictures just how far down this mighty Lake is. This time we simply cut the engine about 150m off shore and drifted along, taking in the peace and quiet, had a few sandwiches and rugged up a bit as the light wind was still very chilly.

After another hour, we decided the kids could do with a snooze in the car on the 2 hour drive home so we headed back to the Ramp at Jerusalem Creek and I gently power loaded the boat onto the trailer, packed up and headed home.

As an aside, there are a couple new mods on the boat...a Bow Cover (with a very handy zipper for going forward quickly without pulling all the press studs) and a Tonneau covering the cockpit for towing and storage. This was all done during her yearly service a couple weeks ago by a local trimmer and they did top job in the Sunbrella "Captain Navy" to match the Bimini. Also, the service guys said that when the PO had her 10 hour service done by Yamaha :hammer ..they stuffed up the timing (it was set at 0 deg advance) and they were right when they said I'd notice the difference now!

In 2 weeks, when I get back from a business trip we're heading off to Echuca on the Murray River for another weekend away...bring on the Summer Down Under!! Hope this has been interesting reading for my Northern Hemisphere cousins.

Cheers, Sean.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/75800=1784-Eildon Dam Wall and Ramp.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/75800=1788-Heading Home_2_2_1.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/75800=1785-Lake Eildon Goulburn Arm.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/75800=1787-Low water and Captains ugly mug_3_2_1.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/75800=1786-Snack time on Lake Eildon.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exploring Lake Eildon for the 1st time 09 Oct 2007 00:01 #2

• mrbigsea
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Greeting from central Illinois

Sean.....I could not believe that I would see pictures of Lake Eildon on the BOC. In 1980 I was visting my brother, who lives in Ashburton near Melbourne and we took a trip on the lake for a couple of days. First time I saw kangaroo in the wild. He has had a houseboat on the Lake for many years. I was in my 20's at the time of my visit. I had a great time Down Under!

My wife and I just move up to a 2001 Maxum 3000 SCR w/twin 5.0L and Bravo ll outdrives( Bayliner with lipstick). I have had two Bayliners starting out with a 2150 Capri back in 1988 and just selling a 1993 2655 Cierra. They were great boats!

My brother has told me about the drought problem that Australia has gone though these past years. Sounds like what our Great Lakes are doing also.

Sean welcome to the BOC and kept those captain logs coming in! There are alot of great people here with tons of knowledge and experience to pass around.

Safe Boating

Roger:arr

2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2

Exploring Lake Eildon for the 1st time 09 Oct 2007 00:53 #3

• snoopdolks
  • snoopdolks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

mrbigsea;76115 wrote: Greeting from central Illinois

Sean.....I could not believe that I would see pictures of Lake Eildon on the BOC. In 1980 I was visting my brother, who lives in Ashburton near Melbourne and we took a trip on the lake for a couple of days. First time I saw kangaroo in the wild. He has had a houseboat on the Lake for many years. I was in my 20's at the time of my visit. I had a great time Down Under!

My wife and I just move up to a 2001 Maxum 3000 SCR w/twin 5.0L and Bravo ll outdrives( Bayliner with lipstick). I have had two Bayliners starting out with a 2150 Capri back in 1988 and just selling a 1993 2655 Cierra. They were great boats!

My brother has told me about the drought problem that Australia has gone though these past years. Sounds like what our Great Lakes are doing also.

Sean welcome to the BOC and kept those captain logs coming in! There are alot of great people here with tons of knowledge and experience to pass around.

Safe Boating

G'day Roger and thank you for the welcome and the reply. I thought that the Northern Hemisphere might enjoy looking in on our Australian summer as it unfolds...as we Aussies have watched your season.

While it is my first trip to Eildon it is a bit of a Victorian institution and your brother would be able to tell you about a movie "The Castle" in which a small town, Bonnie Doon on Lake Eildon, features as an idyllic paradise. It's a very funny movie and while it pokes fun at the Australian way of life in the 80's there is some truth to it. Ahhhhh The Serenity!

The drought here has gone beyond an annoyance, even to city dwellers, and we better get some spring rain. I've been reading about the Great Lakes too and it is certainly a worrying situation.

I hope to put up a few more posts over Spring/Summer as I take the family out to enjoy some time on the water.

Cheers, Sean :arr

Exploring Lake Eildon for the 1st time 09 Oct 2007 01:14 #4

• mrbigsea
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Sean.......Thanks for the reply!

Yes fall is starting to make is way, even though it was 85' F today. A front has moved in which will get temps back to normal.

I am planning to winterize the boat starting this weekend and by the end of the month it will be out of the water (Illinois River) and put away until next year.

I will have to call my brother and ask him about "The Castle" movie. Keep those adventures going!

Enjoy your summer!:)

2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds