Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 24 Sep 2007 03:25 #1

• tsonoqua
  • tsonoqua's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
With the onset of the busy season, we needed a couple of days away.

Decided to go to Gambier Island, but after leaving the harbour we realized that we were looking at a couple of hours at hull speed bouncing in the swells.

So decided to take the low stress trip and headed up to our Yacht club's outstation up Indian Arm. Was dead calm all the way up and was docked and eating lunch a bit more than an hour later.

Turned into a relaxing weekend with lots of wildlife. Saw more seals than usual - lots of salmon heading for the rivers I think.

Had a bit of rain, but weather was mostly good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Lot's of rest, read three books, watched everyone else nap some games of crib...

Had a heron hanging around by the boat on the dock for a few hours on Saturday and then back for a good part of the day on Sunday. Entertained the cat for a little while - until she fell asleep again.

We were walking back to the boat this morning and realized that there was a bunch of otters under the dock. Walked most the the 100 metres to the end of the dock watching bits of fur go by and listening to the chatter. Eventually they went out the end to the shore.

By the time we left it was up to a balmy 20 degrees C or so. Nice and sunny but quite a bit of traffic including a number of speed bumps (sorry, kayaks)

All in all good for the last weekend in the summer.

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cooper Prowler 12m Sedan
formerly Bayliner 2050 & 2950 CB

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 24 Sep 2007 19:54 #2

• Robbie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
One of the great things about boating is you get to see nature at its own pace. Great pictures good story

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 24 Sep 2007 22:49 #3

• Kuredu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for posting Michael. It was a great weekend which, unfortuately, I spent working!

This weekend I'm going down to get the boat ready for winter cruising - electric blankets, heater check etc. One of the trips I want to do soon is up the arm.

Thanks for posting.

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 24 Sep 2007 23:18 #4

• bigjohnbates
Very nice! I like crusing up there to see the old power station and the multitudes of jellyfish by the waterfall in the early summer. Don't go much in the winter since the old lodge is private and the mountains cut out the sun pretty early. Nice relaxing pics though, they remind me I have to head back up next year ...

John Bates
Current: 1976 Uniflite 36 "Caleuche" w/ twin 454 Crusaders
Previous: '85 Bayliner 2850 - '89 Bayliner 2455 - '90 Reinell 179

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 27 Sep 2007 22:48 #5

• JRSchwab
Thanks for the memory jog...We used to keep the 4788 at the Plaza of Nations Marina, and have many rich memories of Indian Arm. The Bay Area's great and the boats 30 minutes from home, but we do really miss the PNW!!

Joe/Manasseh

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 30 Sep 2007 08:03 #6

• davita
  • Thank you received: 1
Last summer, some friends who own a 65 Alaskan and our 35 Bayliner went up to Indian Arm with guests from the Mid West. They were amazed at the wild life and natural beauty of the area and yet felt so close to the metropolis of Vancouver. We actually anchored in Bedwell as the Wigwam needs a club membership to moor.
Co-incidentally, this last weekend my wife and I drove to be with the same group on the Alaskan, now in San Francisco. We by-passed Alcatraz on our cruise to Sausalito for lunch, then to Angel and Treasure Islands to see the dragon boat races, then further on to Oakland and Alameda to see where Hanger 1 Vodka is made.
We had a wonderful time but concluded that the Bay Area does not have the charm of the wild of the PNW; but the weather was great and the San Francisco skyline, framed by the setting sun, is a joy to see.
David

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 05 Oct 2007 01:26 #7

• drmargy
We cruise mostly north of Powell River and haven't made it yet to Indian Arm. We will put it on our list of places to visit. We have friends in Gibsons that we plan to visit soon, maybe we can add it to that cruise. -- Margy

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 05 Oct 2007 01:39 #8

• bigjohnbates
North of PW - Desolation area? Heard it's gorgeous but still have to make it up there. I thought I'd have the boat ready for that this year but no such luck. Don't forget there arre a couple of nice restaurants on Bowen Island between Gibson's and Indian Arm when you make it down this way ...

John Bates
Current: 1976 Uniflite 36 "Caleuche" w/ twin 454 Crusaders
Previous: '85 Bayliner 2850 - '89 Bayliner 2455 - '90 Reinell 179

Indian Arm - near Vancouver, BC 05 Oct 2007 02:18 #9

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm hoping to get a flottilla or organize some folks to go to Desolation sound next yr....I've always wanted to go up there but have never been yet and don't want to do it on my own.....:arr arrr

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds