Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner

My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner 11 Sep 2007 23:01 #1

• skip
  • skip's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am the proud new owner of a 2006 2859 (I believe - please correct me if I am wrong when you see the pic) Ciera.

Every summer I had take my son away for more than a few weeks to introduce him to the great outdoors. I had decided a few years ago that I worked too damn hard during the year, and my little guy gets the short end of the stick - so I dedicate the month of August to some serious quality time. Last year I introduced him to the finer (HA!) points of fishing and kayaking. Many freed worms and paddle/toy retrievals later he seems to have had a great time.

I have been saving my $$ for years now to buy a place for my son and I. It was what I had planned to do, what I was told to do, what I was expected to do. It was the safe, responsible, conservative thing to do.

I BLEW IT!

I am one of those people I guess that lives each day like it's their last. I hate having regrets, I love making memories. I am impetuous by nature and that is my excuse for blowing it so big. But boy do we love how I blew it (the bank loves me too!) My safe, conservative purchase for my son and I to have quality time is now my 2nd baby!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

We spent almost 3 weeks scouting out this particular section of the Ottawa River. Mostly so I could learn how to operate the damn thing. The days flew by in a mixture of swimming, cruising, board games, more swimming, bbq's and only one heart stopping moment when I skinned the propeller and keel over a "deadhead" in the river. Otherwise, it was a perfect place for my son and I to catch up, enjoy mother nature and laugh until we peed ourselves.

View of the River

Narrow channel where 30 seconds later I skinned the prop

The bay we spent most nights in

I have to tell you all a funny story though;

In the middle of our boating adventures I took him up to my Father's farm for a week of four wheeling, more fishing, and general forest adventures. Needless to say we began with the fishing and I am no better at baiting the hook than I was last year. I believe 7 of the 100 worms actually made it on the hook. The difference this year is that my son took to laughing outright at me. How quickly a child's awe of their parents turns to ridicule! The other point of note is that the 93 freed worms actually seemed to be laughing at me too.

After our fishing I decided to take my son on a four wheeler into some of the local trails just off the farm. He was happy enough for about 20 minutes of the ride while I pointed out some of the local plant and wildlife. All was well until I happened to mention that bears were one of the local wildlife. Honestly! the discovery channel is banned until this child can reason! He just about jumped off the moving atv in his effort to escape the woods. Nothing I said would change his mind. It went something like this;

"Hey buddy, keep an eye out for bear or moose tracks"
"Bears Mom?"
"Yeah, sure - there are bears here"
"B B B Big Bears Mom?"
"Don't worry Buddy - they don't tend to bother people"
"Are they big like Giants Mom"
"They are big, but we won't see any here"
"I don't wanna see a bear Mom"
"You won't honey - let's just enjoy the ride"

Imagine the next line picking up in decibal and speed level to the 5 year old shriek!

"MOM - I WANNA GO BACK I DON'T WANNA SEE A BEAR HE'S GONNA EAT ME I WANNA GO HOME MOM I THINK I SEE A BEAR IWANNA GO HOME I DOIDOSEEABEARIWANNAGOHOMEHE'SGONNAEATMEIWANNAGOBACK"

The kid tried to tip the bloody atv as I skidded to a stop and 9 point turned on the narrow trail to get him off shriek mode! Well, 9 points wasn't enough and he was flailing like a wet fish so I got off the atv, calmed him down and let him just BE in the forest for a bit to get used to it (no bears arrived) and got back on the atv and headed back.

The minute we hit the clearing at the farm Jake turns around, looks at me with a big smile and says "That was fun Mom, can we go again???"

Two things I learned from my four wheeling adventure with my son - prep him well for forest adventures and when a child is having a mild fit in the middle of a narrow forest trail - check the plant life before getting off the vehicle! Poison Ivy was particularly nasty this past summer

So that's my summer over - and he and I are now counting the days until next summer so we can get back on our beautiful boat!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner 11 Sep 2007 23:21 #2

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
great story.....but the boating season isn't over yet!!...atleast out here in the pacnorwest...

My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner 11 Sep 2007 23:24 #3

• oh_wells
What great memories you are making!!!!

My husband and I bought our first Bayliner in March and we have been busy making memories with our kids on it, too.

I see it as an investment...money wisely spent in raising my kids in this crazy world.

1996 2858
"Oh Wells"

My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner 12 Sep 2007 00:37 #4

• skip
  • skip's Avatar Topic Author

seapuppy;67619 wrote: great story.....but the boating season isn't over yet!!...atleast out here in the pacnorwest...

Ah yes, I do know, but if I hope to succeed with that "Break Out Another Thousand" philosophy, then I had to get my Stern back to work!! ;)

My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner 12 Sep 2007 03:20 #5

• Mrx
That is the reason we are buying a boat in the spring.Just looking at your nice boat makes me think we should have got one this year.Spring isn't far and we will be doing the boat show thing.I can't wait for the family time like you are enjoying.

B P N
A Nation Of Ups And Downs

My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner 13 Sep 2007 03:36 #6

• Campy

I am one of those people I guess that lives each day like it's their last

skip,
I'm right with you there buddy, all too often I see people who for whatever reasons put off those pleasures only to discover that when they think they're ready and it's time...they're too old.

All his life, my Dad would talk about buying a new boat when he retires, which of course when it came time, he did buy a 26 foot Mako. It was used for at most 2 years when he decided he could not use the boat, refusing to go out alone because my Mom's medical problems negated her ability to ride in the boat.

Congrats on your new baby! Its looks great; that's the model I wanted.
I hope all goes well and you enjoy many many great years on her.
Take care of her and she will take care of you!
Best wishes,
Paul

"If this boats a rockin.......damn wind" :arr

My First Summer as a Bayliner Boat Owner 13 Sep 2007 15:22 #7

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

skip;67643 wrote: Ah yes, I do know, but if I hope to succeed with that "Break Out Another Thousand" philosophy, then I had to get my Stern back to work!! ;)

ah you are learning well my young jedi!!......1 thousand dollars = 1 boat buck......:D

:arr arrr

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds