Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Labor day weekend

Labor day weekend 01 Sep 2007 16:20 #1

• seapuppy
  • seapuppy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Man...yesterday was exciting to say the least!!...went to work and was in a meeting for 2 hrs..then after lunch at about 1:30 we booked for home....picked up my wife from her office and we ran home...started the packing process and loaded the kids and stuff into the truck...
made our way to the marina and loaded the boat and got her into the water.......we got underway at about 3:30 and had to wait for the train trestle to open....once we got past the everett marina, we headed out into the snot!!...it was just at the whitecap stage on the water and I had to trim the bow down... we could only make about 22mph till we made it past hat island...the water was still bumpy but started smoothing out...once we got about half way to oak harbor the water was smooth as a lake....I was able to trim out and kick it up to about 30mph...it was great.....we actually started the turn towards hat at about 4pm.....so we had 3 hrs to blakely.....
we got to deception pass and the water was definitely moving but it wasn't really bad...we made our way straight for lopez pass...lumpy but not the Small craft advisory that was being advertised on the weather station on the vhf.....
we finally got to lopez pass and the water went back to lake again....it was fantastic...we made the rest of the trip in smooth water..
we got to blakely at almost 7pm and it was still sunny...alot of action going on....we met another boater with another sheltie ...of course we had to talk to her....and then it was just setting the boat up and getting dinner....the rest of the nite was relax and refresh...
today we woke up to a fogged in marina and I'm up here at the general store using the wifi and having some tea and fresh donuts, while listening to some 60's music playing on the speakers......the fog is starting to burn off and the sound is beautifully flat....a few boats go steaming by....don't get no better than this!!...got what...3 more days of this??..I can handle a few more too....haha..but will have to go back to work on wednesday!!...

hope all is having a great holiday weekend....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Labor day weekend 02 Sep 2007 17:25 #2

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
today woke up to a grey and overcast day that promises to clear up....it's just about perfect today....yesterday late in the afternoon ..Stardust ..aka bruce and carolyn showed up..they had managed to get the repairs made on their boat and got here to our surprise.....we all got together for a few drinks and to tell of our adventures coming up here..we had a rougher time than he did coming up..but we all made it and it's great...bruce went out to put the crab pot in the water last nite just as the last rays of the sun fell off......came back in the dark.......
we then sat around and talked for a bit before turning in...
Bruce is all foaming to get out and fish for fresh salmon....we talked to a local commercial fisherman and he told them about some spots that were hitting..........
so they're off this morning to try thier luck.....we're still in blakely island and the place is jumping for the last weekend of the yr.....hope all is doing well this holiday and enjoying the time off......life is good....

Labor day weekend 04 Sep 2007 03:37 #3

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
after I got off line ..we had some lunch and just kinda cat napped....Bruce and Carolyn went out to fish for salmon ...they weren't successful.. but did manage several crabs......then about 3 pm they went to lopez island to pick up their kids....we in turn went up to a celebration of sorts...has anyone ever heard of NASCAR ANGELS??.....well...a lady here lost her husband in an airplane crash 2 yrs ago...they were the only doc's and emt's on the island and the aid car they supplied themselves were in serious need of repair...NASCAR ANGELS collected the car and repaired it ..then presented it yesterday to the whole island and especially this lady...plus they gave her a mess of first responder eqpt....we were in the audience as they presented it to her...they will air in mid sept sometime....

We got up this morning and listened to the weather reports by noaa and for tomorrow...the day we're supposed to leave Blakely island...the weather wasn't looking good...winds were guestimated to be gusting to 25....waves to 4 ft....so...we decided to head to friday harbor for gas and then head home....blakely island has gas at 3.98.....it was 3.27 (I think) at friday harbor...so...we topped off and headed home....it was amazing...I'm so glad the touron's are going home..the people that won't boat after the memorial day ...so this will make the waters much better and won't need a reservation to different marinas.....they were everywhere....it was a nite mare coming home since people weren't following the rules of the roads...even the washington state ferries were having to blow thier horns toe clear the path...going thru deception pass was a real treat...between the fishermen and the currents and the other boaters...we had a heck of a time getting thru.....once thru deception pass it was easy coming home....not too lumpy from boat wash...but the closer we got too everett..the lumpier it got!!....finally got in to top the fuel tank and then pumped out....finally back underway to our marina up river with about 15 other boaters coming in all at once.....it was a fun weekend ...again it was great meeting up with Bruce and Carolyn up at one of the most impressive islands in the san juans...even if it was cut short a day..it was worth the effort to stay there....

hope all had a great memorial weekend!!.....back to work on wednesday....I still have to go back to the boat and wash it tomorrow...pull the carpets to clean them and drain the bilge....should be fun...of course after I get caught up with all the honey do's.......

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds