Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done !

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 05 Jul 2007 15:10 #426

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here's how I trailer the 175 with the Bimini attached.
I have the rear pins connected and I slip a "noodle" (one of those things kids play with in swimming pools) piece through to protect the top gunwhale. Then I use a strip of velcro to hold the poles.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 05 Jul 2007 15:14 #427

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Another thing I did was to drill out the trailer fender steps. The Karavan fenders were constantly loosing the screws that holds them to the frame from the bottom. So I just drilled out the holes and through bolted 'em.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 05 Jul 2007 16:59 #428

• tbkohl
  • tbkohl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
WOW 40+ pages of ideas and comments !
Amazing what a small seed and some water(along with a LOT of fertilizer:kidding ) can do !

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 05 Jul 2007 17:40 #429

• jf185br
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Lazlo;45390 wrote: Another thing I did was to drill out the trailer fender steps. The Karavan fenders were constantly loosing the screws that holds them to the frame from the bottom. So I just drilled out the holes and through bolted 'em.

I had to do the same thing to mine. None of the screws had lock washers, I was constantly tightening. I through drilled the four on the front and three on the back of each fender. I use SS bolts and lock nut as well as washers. actually good foot grips on the fenders.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 05 Jul 2007 19:45 #430

• magee
good information here guys I bought a 185 last week and have already planned to do something about the lid to the radio storage compartment area, so I guess I will try the spring, and my bolts to the plastic fenders fell out the first day so looks like I will try the same drill out and bolt down method. Other than that I love the boat, the 3.0 engine has surprisingly good performance and fuel consumption is great, the 185 does handle the rough water well for its size as I am boating in the Chesapeake Bay/ York River/ James River and so far I am very pleased with the performance of the boat. My only problem is an eight month pregnant admiral.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 08 Jul 2007 12:43 #431

• ROCK&ROLL
Hello everyyone!

Thanks to member Lazlo, I have found this great website and am happy to be here!

I picked up a slightly used 2005 Bayliner 175 BR just a week ago and got it from a boat dealer for $10K. The boat supposedly had less then 30 hours on it total but with no hour meter that's a guess. However the boat was in like new condition, and lifting the engine cover it looked like it was brand new instead. Plus, to top it off I believe this boat was used only in fresh water lakes before I got her.
10G sounds like a lot for a used 175BR but honestly this one was (is) cherry, so why pay any more for new. I offered less of course but I also knew this boat wasn't going to last because there was quite a bit of interest from others because of it's like new condition. my Wife even liked it (alot) at first sight so we snapped it up.

I'll post some photos soon (by next weekend) as I want to get a bimini top on her and the name etc. first. I did install a Raymarine Ray48 VHF radio over the driver's cupholder position on the dash and a 4 foot "digital antenna" on the passenger side in front of the windshield. Boating is salt water, even if only a big bay, I thought that was a wise thing to do. I also installed a Ritchie compass on the dash too, if only to have a general sense of direction.

Oh yea, the trailer is painted white, not galvanized but in new condition too so overall I'm happy with my purchase thus far. I'm pulling this with a small 07 Ford Escape V6-4WD which works out well. Problem is, I already "want" a bigger boat and told (asked nicely) my wife that when I upgrade to a bigger tow vehicle like a Ford Explorer in two years, that we then upgrade to a bigger boat too. I have to admit, this bowrider was a bit of an impulse purchase and had we looked around, we could have gotten the bigger boat now, albeit older and lesser condition. I'd really like to have something in the 20-21 foot size with a small cuddy for potty privacy, yet allows for room to stretch out in the sun too. The wife and two older teen daughters are sun bums and comfort will be the priority for a replacement boat. In the mean time, we're going out boating in about an hour, so gotta run! THANKS for referring me here! This will be a goldmine of information.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 08 Jul 2007 16:45 #432

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome aboard Ken, glad to see you over here. Have a good day out on the water and take some pics. We'de love to see your ride and what you've done to her, so don't be shy about posting them pics (you can tell I'm not a bit shy).

When you upgrade the Tow Vehicle - skip the Explorer and go straight to the Expedition, I know someone that tows a 21 footer with an Explorer and he says it struggles at times. ;)

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 08 Jul 2007 22:00 #433

• ROCK&ROLL
Was out most of today, hitting the water around 10 a.m. and beaching for lunch around noon. Shortly after departing the beach, I noticed the gas gauge sloshing back and forth which I attributed to having perhaps a good half tank of gas left. About a half hour later I looked down at the gauge and it read dead empty. I knew that couldn't be right but I also knew I had no idea how much gas was really left either. It caused me to refuel on the water just to be safe and sure. Any ideas what may have caused this?
All the other gauges work just fine. Also, one time upon hitting some rough wakes coming from both sides, the engine just shut down completely. I couldn't restart it for perhaps a good few minutes and it may have been flooded (with gas). It ran fine after restarting and we spent the next couple of hours on the water without problem. I just need to get that gas gauge fixed now... (That and find a good kidney belt...)

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 08 Jul 2007 22:17 #434

• Visitor
  • Visitor
My gauge always reads 1/4 tank lower then what it really is..

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 08 Jul 2007 22:47 #435

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ROCK&ROLL;46400 wrote: I just need to get that gas gauge fixed now... (That and find a good kidney belt...)

Smart Tabs will help to smooth out the ride and stop the porpoising.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 08 Jul 2007 22:48 #436

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ROCK&ROLL;46400 wrote: I just need to get that gas gauge fixed now... (That and find a good kidney belt...)

You may want to check into Smart Tabs to help smooth out the ride and stop the porpoising.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 01:57 #437

• tbkohl
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
O.K. folks !
After getting a first degree burn again in 95 degree weather on our 1850 who has what kind of BIMINI on their 1850/185?

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 02:03 #438

• KSJ08
I too have had bad burns this early summer being a fair haired Irishman. I don't know mfg of the bimini or convertable tops but they work, but then again so does SPF 30:prod

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 02:11 #439

• tbkohl
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
We were using SPF 45.
I just hate that it comes off as you sweat heavily...then jump in the water...

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 02:13 #440

• Teutonics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

tbkohl;46462 wrote: O.K. folks !
After getting a first degree burn again in 95 degree weather on our 1850 who has what kind of BIMINI on their 1850/185?

I found that Overton's and Bart's Water Sports had the best value/prices if you catch one of their %off sales.

And go for the 8ft four bow instead of the 6ft three bow. More pricey, but in hindsight I wish I had sprung for the extra coverage.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 08:52 #441

• Lynette
Hi, I hope I've attached a pic of my 175 Flight Series! I bought it less than a month ago, she's called "Aquaholic" and I absolutely adore her. she is completely stock & will remain so.

In that month I've gone from being a complete & utter novice, never having driven a boat to passing my RYA level 2, competantly launching & recovering, loving hacking around in a bit of rough water, knee boarding (skiing & wake boarding next) & I've just learned to tow towables & knee boarders. What an amazing past time to have gotten into!

My pension fund is now slightly diminished & some would say that's irresponsible but the amount of fun we are having in this little boat is completely priceless! I will own boats till I can no longer climb into them!

Lynette

Attached files

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 10:32 #442

• tbkohl
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Great pic !
Looks like the boat is floatin in nothing with that pure blue water....
You have a great ride there and sounds like you are enjoying it from the start.
You already have a Wake tower and Bimini what else could you need?

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 15:27 #443

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Lynette;46541 wrote: Hi, I hope I've attached a pic of my 175 Flight Series! I bought it less than a month ago, she's called "Aquaholic" and I absolutely adore her. she is completely stock & will remain so.

Lynette

Welcome aboard Lynette!
Read this thread a few times. Hey, it's only 44 pages.
I have a feeling you may change your mind.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 16:30 #444

• Skygazer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3

Lynette;46541 wrote: Hi, I hope I've attached a pic of my 175 Flight Series! I bought it less than a month ago, she's called "Aquaholic" and I absolutely adore her. she is completely stock & will remain so.

In that month I've gone from being a complete & utter novice, never having driven a boat to passing my RYA level 2, competantly launching & recovering, loving hacking around in a bit of rough water, knee boarding (skiing & wake boarding next) & I've just learned to tow towables & knee boarders. What an amazing past time to have gotten into!

My pension fund is now slightly diminished & some would say that's irresponsible but the amount of fun we are having in this little boat is completely priceless! I will own boats till I can no longer climb into them!

Lynette

What a beautiful photo!

Remain stock? Yeah, that's what we thought, too. Guess again!

Peggy
Husband Chuck and Badger the Border Collie
2006 Bayliner 185 4.3 Alpha One "Jackpot"

2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO PWC 160hp "Yamagogo"
In memory of "Seapuppy". :arr. Live each Day to the Fullest

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 17:44 #445

• ROCK&ROLL
I realize this isn't the buy or sell forum, but since I am a new member here and only recently posted, I thought I'd mention that my boat is now for sale.

We just got it and had it out twice now in the bay but have quickly come to the conclusion this is not what I want in a boat. Besides that, the bay is not as fun as anticipated with dirty brown tea colored water and many many low spots and sand bars. My wife and I talked about it and this boat needs to go fast etc. I'm going in a different direction and buying a deep V bass boat for freshwater use instead.

If you know of anyone interested, I just paid $10G literally a little more then a week ago for this boat and trailer and it is in like new condition. I just installed a VHF radio and antenna and the new Bimini top is arriving today. 2005 Bayliner 175 BR Bow Rider with Mercruiser 3.0 I/O and painted trailer in like nrew condition. $9800.00 complete or best offer. I'm in Monmouth County of New Jersey. Leave a message if interesed. Thanks!

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 22:07 #446

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Lynette

Curious as to why you say she will remain stock?

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 Jul 2007 22:53 #447

• repeej

Syzygyone;46806 wrote: Curious as to why you say she will remain stock?

People have a different definition of what "stock" is. Some people don't consider "bolt-on" as straying from stock.

2005 Bayliner 195, 5.0L MPI Mercruiser, Sport Seating, Enertia X7 prop
GPS @ 61mph

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 10 Jul 2007 00:28 #448

• smcd175
We purchased our 175XT in april 06 and used the heck out of it last summer. I did alot of work over the winter & have been waiting to get pictures and upload for a long time, so here is what I have done...

2006 Bayliner 175XT wakeboard edition
Bimini top (dealer installed)
EAGLE CUDA 168 fish finder/depth meter
Pioneer DEH-2900MP 50W WMA, MP3, CD Tuner with wireless remote
Kicker KX200.4 200 watt 4-Channel Amplifier
4 - Kicker KM60 6-1/2" Coaxial Marine Speakers
1 - Kicker KM10 10" marine subwoofer
4 - Kicker DX60 6-1/2"/ 6-3/4" 2-way wakeboard tower speakers
Lucky devil designs wakeboard racks
600lb ballast sack with 1100gpm pump (never fill more than 1/2 way)

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 10 Jul 2007 00:29 #449

• smcd175

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 10 Jul 2007 02:31 #450

• tbkohl
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
One word .
SAAAWEEEET ! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.517 seconds