Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done !

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2007 05:26 #376

• jestmaty
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, it is too small... will try to fix tomorrow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2007 14:46 #377

• jestmaty

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2007 16:40 #378

• jestmaty

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2007 17:19 #379

• Visitor
  • Visitor
is that an aftermarket bimini top? looks good .. I like that tower.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 27 May 2007 00:46 #380

• jestmaty
Tower is stock from the factory:)

Thanks for the compliment on the bimini. It took me two years to get off my lazy butt and put one on.

Ordered from Biminitop.net, which I believe actually came from iboats.com. My neighbor and I took careful measurements before ordering to ensure that it would fit within the parameters of the wakeboard tower.

I really wanted to keep the tower, since I'm a new boater of 2 years and I've come to enjoy the extra hand hold when driving and moving around the boat on the lake.

My 6 year old treats it like a jungle jim, climbing all over it when we are completely stopped!

Funny thing is.... I live in far west Houston, Tx and bought my boat from the only bayliner dealer I could find.... in Austin, Tx. The dealer is 165 miles from my house.

I've taken the boat to them twice (once about a month after I bought it in May '05 and again in June of '06) for a bimini top. I was prepared for the no-lube penetration I was going to take $ wise for a top install, but they stood me up both times.

I wound up coming back home with no bimini.... long story. Not going into it here.

Top actually is looking better now after stretching out a bit in the garage.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 27 May 2007 01:18 #381

• srdkevinwilliams
boat will be down for a week or so we went out today and the engine threw two rods through the block!!!!!

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 27 May 2007 16:26 #382

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Sorry to hear you threw a rod, Kevin. Not a great way to start the season, I guess. I Finally got on the water yesterday for a test run. Hauled her up to the Chain, 45 miles. Got into a downpour when I hit the area. Waited it out at my sister's weekend place. The rest of the afternoon was gloomy, but I dried her off and went out for about 1/2 hour. It ran great, a little water in the bilge. I will reseal all screws when I install Smart Tabs today.I needed some before comparisons for Smart Tabs. Weather is nice to day, figures.....:hammer

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 27 May 2007 20:11 #383

• srdkevinwilliams
I still cant make up my mind? Do i need smart tabs or is my hydrafoil enough? I have pondered this one for months!!! What about the water and fuel seperator?

Also since my boat will be down all week what else should i do to it???? See my other thread for the whole run down on what happened!!

I am thinking of replacing the rub rail.

Polishing the prop

Removing the driverside lounge seat and making a captains chair?

YOU ALL PLEASE PRAY THAT THEY WARRANTY MY ENGINE!!!!!!!!

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 28 May 2007 00:01 #384

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Well I finally got to install the tabs. Here's a link to the thread in the Projects section. (us little guys have to post there too!)

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?p=31444#post31444

Hope your engine is warrantied. :eek: Hydrofoil will probably be enough if you're looking to get on plane faster. I haven't read any claims to better handling or fuel consumption for foils.

If anybody has taken out the helm lounge and replaced with something else, I would be interested in your experience. Ted

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 03:55 #385

• Steelheader

srdkevinwilliams;31389 wrote: I still cant make up my mind? Do i need smart tabs or is my hydrafoil enough?..

As far as the Smart Tab/Hydrofoil debate goes I will give you my impressions. I bought the StingRay Speed XP last year and loved it. BUT...that was with 2 adults and 3 kids on board. This weekend we spent the whole time on Shasta Lake with 4 adults, 2 teenagers (16 boy and girl), and 2 young girls (10 and 11). With the boat that loaded, it was difficult to get up on plane quickly. With just the 5 of us last year, it worked out wonderfully with the H-foil, as we got up on plane almost immediately. Because I am planning on using the boat with mostly adults now, I am going to succumb to the "Dark Side" with Laz and Mac. I am going to install some Smart Tabs in the next month, or so.

The moral to the story is...Less people and weight, the H-foil works wonderfully. The more people and weight, I believe that Smart Tabs is probably the way to go. We shall see. :arr

POW/MIAs
You Are Not Forgotten

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He won by making the other ba$tard die for his."
General George S. Patton
2006 Bayliner 195XT, 4.3L Mercruiser, w/Smart Tabs
"Nuttin' But Fun"

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 04:04 #386

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Steelheader, please don't get your hopes up too much. I believe that the hydrofoil will probably get near the same results if all you are trying to do is get on plane quicker. You may need a lower pitch prop for times when carrying heavy loads.
The benefits of Trim tabs are gained in all of the other areas such as cornering, MPH gains, MPG gains, low speed wandering, porpoising, chine-walking, etc.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 04:15 #387

• Steelheader

Lazlo;31872 wrote: Steelheader, please don't get your hopes up too much. I believe that the hydrofoil will probably get near the same results if all you are trying to do is get on plane quicker. You may need a lower pitch prop for times when carrying heavy loads.
The benefits of Trim tabs are gained in all of the other areas such as cornering, MPH gains, MPG gains, low speed wandering, porpoising, chine-walking, etc.

I understand Laz. I finally found out what chining was this weekend, With the boat loaded to almost max. I felt the hull sliding out from beneath me a few times when pulling the tube, and doing cornering maneuvers. I also felt as if the one side was going to sink into the water when hard cornering. It wasn't an easy feeling. :eek: I also found that I could not trim up as much with the larger load. Whenever I tried to trim up, I would start to porpoise whenever I got past approx. 1/8. I never thought that the handling of the boat would be affected as much as it was with a full load. We are planning on spending most of our time on the boat with close to the same amount of weight this summer.

What is your expert opinion on Smart Tabs fixing these problems Laz?

POW/MIAs
You Are Not Forgotten

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He won by making the other ba$tard die for his."
General George S. Patton
"Nuttin' But Fun"

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 04:44 #388

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Smart Tabs will be a definite improvement in the areas you are trying to help out in. I'm still wondering about the getting out of the hole with heavy weight issue though. The tabs help you to get moving quicker by not climbing up and over (starting by trimming down then up) by setting the trim up and going straight with the propulsion of your prop (the tabs do the job of lifting the stern which keeps the bow down).
I would recommend carrying another prop just for those days when you do have the extra load to give you more power. Of coarse this will lower your top end, but then again, usually you won't want ultimate speed with a fully loaded boat.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 10:32 #389

• srdkevinwilliams
So set me straight on this

19p for speed---better with a full load

21p for pulling---light load

Is this right???

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 11:48 #390

• repeej
I'd go to a 4 blade prop to address Steelheader's issues.

2005 Bayliner 195, 5.0L MPI Mercruiser, Sport Seating, Enertia X7 prop
GPS @ 61mph

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 14:48 #391

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
About these Smart Tabs: I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. However, for me and this little boat, they are absolutely, without any shadow of doubt, worth the expense. Handling, hole shot, stability, tracking, turning, ALL IMPROVED SIGNIFICANTLY on the first trip out. At higher planing speeds, in bumpy water, the ride was greatly smoothed out. In smoother water, absolutely no porpoising at all! :arr

I especially liked the slow speed handling. Tracks very straight. No more wandering bow. Point and forget. Docking and retrieving are much simpler. :cool:

And with the Pro Trollers extended, I motored around straight and true at well under 1 mph at idle.

Even the Admiral remarked that they were an excellent modification. And, if my Admiral is happy, I am happy!;)

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:26 #392

• Steelheader

Syzygyone;31978 wrote: About these Smart Tabs: I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. However, for me and this little boat, they are absolutely, without any shadow of doubt, worth the expense. Handling, hole shot, stability, tracking, turning, ALL IMPROVED SIGNIFICANTLY on the first trip out. At higher planing speeds, in bumpy water, the ride was greatly smoothed out. In smoother water, absolutely no porpoising at all! :arr

I especially liked the slow speed handling. Tracks very straight. No more wandering bow. Point and forget. Docking and retrieving are much simpler. :cool:

And with the Pro Trollers extended, I motored around straight and true at well under 1 mph at idle.

Even the Admiral remarked that they were an excellent modification. And, if my Admiral is happy, I am happy!;)

Yes...You have convinced me Syz. With the full load of people on my boat, I expect that STs will help me with all the above mentioned problems I am having. I am also going to keep the H-foil on, for added performance. I believe with the both of them in combination, I will find the performance gains I am seeking.

Jeeper, what size prop will give me the gains I am seeking for quicker plane with a full load? Aluminum props are fine with me. I don't want to spend an exhorbent amount of money on the SS ones. I will take Laz's advice and keep an extra prop for both situations. :arr

POW/MIAs
You Are Not Forgotten

General George S. Patton
"Nuttin' But Fun"

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:28 #393

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

srdkevinwilliams;31908 wrote: So set me straight on this

Is this right???

Actually you've got them mixed up. Think of it like gears, lower pitch (like a lower gear) gives more pulling power, higher rpm's and top's out quicker with less overall speed.
Here's a good explanation: http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/Boat_Propeller_Articles.php?article_number=8#pitch

Syzygyone - - Glad to hear your results! I also feel the ST's "bang for buck" is near impossible to beat!
(not trying to sell anything here ;) )

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:28 #394

• Steelheader

srdkevinwilliams;31908 wrote: So set me straight on this

Is this right???

Reverse your thinking.

Stock prop is good for speed with light load.

Pitch up for hole shots with heavy load, but sacrifice top end speed.

Do I have it right Laz and Jeeper? :arr

Edit: Laz beat me to it. Cool, I got it right! :arr

POW/MIAs
You Are Not Forgotten

General George S. Patton
"Nuttin' But Fun"

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:37 #395

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Syzygyone;31978 wrote: And, if my Admiral is happy, I am happy!;)

The secret to happy boating is out! If the Admiral ain't happy, nobody's happy. :kidding

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:39 #396

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Steelheader;31990 wrote: Yes...You have convinced me Syz. With the full load of people on my boat, I expect that STs will help me with all the above mentioned problems I am having. I am also going to keep the H-foil on, for added performance. I believe with the both of them in combination, I will find the performance gains I am seeking.

Jeeper, what size prop will give me the gains I am seeking for quicker plane with a full load? Aluminum props are fine with me. I don't want to spend an exhorbent amount of money on the SS ones. I will take Laz's advice and keep an extra prop for both situations. :arr

I am sure you will like them as much as we do.
As for aluminum props and pitch and all, I am still studying.
And, not to rain on your parade but there is a warning on the SX Smart Tabs installation instruction NOT to use any other planing device when using Smart Tabs. I'd talk with Nauticus about it before I did anything.

Good luck and smooth cruisin':arr

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:47 #397

• Lazlo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Steelheader;31990 wrote: I am also going to keep the H-foil on, for added performance. I believe with the both of them in combination, I will find the performance gains I am seeking.

Don't do it!
There is a very good reason. You will lift the stern too much at cruising speeds and make the boat run bow down. The torque list to port will most likely get worse. The boat will loose top speed, and generally handle poorly. If you do not want to take the hydrofoil off, do not install Smart Tabs and try to tolerate what you have.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:54 #398

• repeej

Steelheader;31990 wrote: Jeeper, what size prop will give me the gains I am seeking for quicker plane with a full load? Aluminum props are fine with me. I don't want to spend an exhorbent amount of money on the SS ones. I will take Laz's advice and keep an extra prop for both situations. :arr

Try your Tabs first and if you find you still need a little assistance getting up on plane and getting out of the hole quicker look into a 20p Michigan Wheel Vortex 4-blade Alum.

http://www.michiganwheel.com/MIWheel/products/outboard/vortex_4-blade.htm#vort4

OR keep your eyes open for a good ebay deal on a Mercury Rev 4 SS 19p.

GPS @ 61mph

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 15:57 #399

• repeej

tbear;32004 wrote: The secret to happy boating is out! If the Admiral ain't happy, nobody's happy. :kidding

The REAL secret is if the Admiral ain't happy leave her on the dock. ;)

GPS @ 61mph

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 29 May 2007 23:28 #400

• garry454

Skygazer;23616 wrote: Mercruiser manufactured the switch, we got it at the local boat dealer for $50 (tax included). It was that costly because it comes with the plug in harness. It plugs directly into the trim pump 1 2 3. It was really easy. One word of warning - there are two different switches with the difference being the ends on the harness - there are round plug in or ones that are oval. Gotta make sure you get the right one. Just look at your pump.Of course, when we got it initially we didn't realize there were two styles (even the parts guys wasn't aware) and they had to reorder. I could not find the one I needed online any cheaper, by the way.

I have the part numbers at home and will post them later (I am at work) if anyone wants them.

Hey Sky, if you get a chance, could you post the part number on the trim switch? Called the dealer today and they were not sure what I was talking about when I mentioned the different plugs, said they only showed the one part number. Figured if I can shoot him a PN then he can verify it is the right one.
Yours had 3 "bullet" connectors on it right (round)? Just curious. Thanks in advance. Garry :D

Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds