Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done !

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 23 May 2010 14:12 #2051

• Ifallsguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
If the vent is closed, the engine will fuel starve and die when it cannot suck anything from the tank. Yes, run it with the tank open.

As for what you should be running. 5500RPM may be right for him but each boat has that separate sweet spot.

Other things to consider. How much weight are you hauling? The move you carry, the lower the top speed. Do you have a spun prop hub? And are measuring speed with the on board speedometer or GPS? The speedometer is only a guess. GPS is the only way to go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"THIN ICE"
1989 Capri 1950 CX
2.3 L Ford/OMC
MMSI 338094676
Ham Call N9XGZ

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 23 May 2010 20:33 #2052

• Skygazer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Just had to mention had the boat out yesterday, was very pleased hooking up the Iphone to the stereo and using Pandora and Slacker apps...great tunes!

Peggy
Husband Chuck and Badger the Border Collie
2006 Bayliner 185 4.3 Alpha One "Jackpot"

2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO PWC 160hp "Yamagogo"
In memory of "Seapuppy". :arr. Live each Day to the Fullest

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 24 May 2010 03:06 #2053

• craven

tbkohl;458099 wrote: We need to thank the board for letting the LONGEST thread in the in my memory here continue.

Still without our a sub forum area I might add again .:ouch

The credit goes out to all the Bowrider owners out there..... :arr

+1

Jeff & Dee
Las Vegas, NV
"Knot A Yacht" - 2003 Bayliner 175BR
MerCruiser 3.0 I/O, Nauticus Smart Tab SX 40's, Stiletto SS 19P prop, Garmin 430s Chartplotter / GPS, 12v power outlets,
Audiovox Express XM Radio w/FM Connect, Windline 3 step ladder, single feed trickle charger, Perko Fender Locks,

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 24 May 2010 03:14 #2054

• jf185br
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

tbkohl;458184 wrote: Hey Peggy (or any one else here) what is a decent brand/model of 2 person USED jet sled these days?

Oldest Daughter is starting the looking process.

Thanks in advance.....

I've rode newer hondas, 4 strokes I think supercharged. Pretty nice stable PWC's. Fast too.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 24 May 2010 09:11 #2055

• MAXXFJ
I found the problem, bad plug boot on top cylinder. It must have popped off & I never thought to check it. I was heading out yesterday to try it with the vent open to see if there was any difference & had a little extra time to prep, (son slept in til noon), & took the engine cover off to take a look & there it was hanging. I can't believe I didn't think of that on the water, 1st time out & was trying to remember everything else I guess. Anyway, fixed the boot & ran 5000 RPM @ 35 MPH (GPS). I'm quite happy with that for now. I'm sure the "fin" on the lower unit is slowing things down, but gets right up on plane w/ no plow time at all. I'll keep it on until I get the "Smart Tabs". Thanks, MAXX

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 24 May 2010 13:42 #2056

• patman1776
Finally back after my divorce. Rough year folks :( Gonna have a good summer on the boat to lift my spirits :) Anyway, am planning my next upgrades for the fall/winter. As I can't stand having carpet over plywood for a deck, I'm going to tear up the carpet, re-glass the plywood, apply Durabak to give a non-slip surface / seal up the deck, and have snap-in carpet installed. Found this great thread in I-Boats http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=292511 that details the whole process. Already spoke with my boat shop, and they will do the job if I can't find a garage to do it myself (I no longer have a garage now that I'm in an apartment). Either way, it's getting done. Also going to get my skeg replaced, new speakers/amp. Next year will be the extended swim platform (if I have any cash left ;) ). Good to be back!

Bill
2008 185 F&S "R. B. LARA"
3.0 L 135 Alpha I

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 25 May 2010 04:30 #2057

• dizzy1
  • Thank you received: 1
Been trolling this thread for a while, figure I'd post for once. Got my 07 175 back in 08 for a steal. Since upgraded the stereo with a sony deck and xm, 4 alpine 6.5's, JL 10w1v2 sub, JL e6450 amp, dual battery setup in the stock location, sound deadened engine cover and keel guard. Later this year hoping to get a tower and put that in, maybe a swim platform since the place that makes them is only about 1.5 hours away so can swing by to pick one up. Have learned alot on this thread and some great ideas on here.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2007 Bayliner 175 "Lil Guppy"

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 25 May 2010 04:39 #2058

• dizzy1

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 25 May 2010 14:36 #2059

• Matt's 175
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
dizzy1,

Can you give me more details on the 10" sub install? I have a brand new one sitting here collecting dust because I bought one of those pre-fabbed boxes and it was too big for that spot.

2006 Bayliner 175
Tilt Steering, 2 pc. Cockpit/Bow Cover, Family Fun Pack, 3 Step Swim Ladder, Smart Tabs, 19P SS Prop, Uniden Solara VHF, Sony CD Player, 4 Sony Xplod Speakers, Garmin 172c GPS, 400w DC to AC Power Inverter, Dual Batteries, Guest Isolator, Dual Faria Voltage Gauges, Faria Hour...

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 25 May 2010 16:13 #2060

• dizzy1
I should have took pics of the box install but never thought about it. Basically Its a pyramid shaped sealed box, approx .65 cu ft, then stuffed with 12oz of poly fil to trick the sub to seam like its in a slightly bigger box. To build the box I made the front panel first, triangle shaped so it touched the side and the foot rest area and then level across the top. Then using tape marked the carpet where it contacted. Then used that as a template to make side panels of the box to lay flat on the foot section and the side of the hull. After that its basically lots of weird cuts to seal it up. To mount it elevated like that, I mounted some strips of wood along the back so it sits flush on the top of the foot rest area. That holds it up and to keep it from moving, 2 heavy wood screws screw inside the box into the foot rest floor board. It hasn't budged all year. The amp is mounted right next to it under the radio area and above were your feet would be. The back mounts sit on top of the foot rest panel and screw in from the top, to hold the side of the amp facing the back of the boat, I used a long ss screw with spacers and a nut holds from the bottom of the amp mount. The other side mount facing the back is attached with an L bracket and one screw thru the side of the walk thru supports it. This way its out of the way, open to air to stay cool, protected from getting splashed but also easy to adjust the settings/gains. Just happened to fit like a glove for that big amp.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 25 May 2010 20:39 #2061

• Matt's 175
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

dizzy1;459810 wrote: I should have took pics of the box install but never thought about it. Basically Its a pyramid shaped sealed box, approx .65 cu ft, then stuffed with 12oz of poly fil to trick the sub to seam like its in a slightly bigger box. To build the box I made the front panel first, triangle shaped so it touched the side and the foot rest area and then level across the top. Then using tape marked the carpet where it contacted. Then used that as a template to make side panels of the box to lay flat on the foot section and the side of the hull. After that its basically lots of weird cuts to seal it up. To mount it elevated like that, I mounted some strips of wood along the back so it sits flush on the top of the foot rest area. That holds it up and to keep it from moving, 2 heavy wood screws screw inside the box into the foot rest floor board. It hasn't budged all year. The amp is mounted right next to it under the radio area and above were your feet would be. The back mounts sit on top of the foot rest panel and screw in from the top, to hold the side of the amp facing the back of the boat, I used a long ss screw with spacers and a nut holds from the bottom of the amp mount. The other side mount facing the back is attached with an L bracket and one screw thru the side of the walk thru supports it. This way its out of the way, open to air to stay cool, protected from getting splashed but also easy to adjust the settings/gains. Just happened to fit like a glove for that big amp.

Pretty cool. I might give this a try soon.

2006 Bayliner 175
Tilt Steering, 2 pc. Cockpit/Bow Cover, Family Fun Pack, 3 Step Swim Ladder, Smart Tabs, 19P SS Prop, Uniden Solara VHF, Sony CD Player, 4 Sony Xplod Speakers, Garmin 172c GPS, 400w DC to AC Power Inverter, Dual Batteries, Guest Isolator, Dual Faria Voltage Gauges, Faria Hour...

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2010 02:51 #2062

• rick35
dizzy1, nice work on making the subwoofer fit in that small space. Looks great and it looks like its far enough underneath to not interfere with what little leg room there is.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2010 04:00 #2063

• dizzy1
Yeah plenty of foot room with the sub angled like that an elevated and the amp is flush from the front lip of the top so no real reduction in space which on a 175 is critical. Been meaning to get a grill for the sub since I know one of these times a drunk buddy will end up kicking it. lol. :hammer

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2010 18:26 #2064

• andyyyy2

Chip73;126739 wrote: Well the boat is two weeks old with almost 10 hours. Here is a list of my "upgrades" based mostly on the things I have read here. I lined my engine cover, added an hour meter, included a picture of my dash and also used undercoating to coat under one of my front seats, since it is dark brown it is hard to see. If the liner holds up, I plan to do all of my storage.

HOW did the undercoating hold up you put in your storage? do you think it protects the hull side of the storag areas from , your anchor or other stuff, or was it for sound, or to look cool, I am intrested in how it worked, and how thick you put it on? do you think it hepls your ski ocker or biladge smell or seam any cleaner,

Andy E.
00' 1850 bayliner 4.3l

Andy E.
1850 Capri BR 4.7L '00

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 26 May 2010 22:33 #2065

• tbkohl
  • tbkohl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
WELCOME BACK BILL!

Glad to see there IS life after divorce ..... *snicker*

Too much livin to do to worry about that stuff:arr

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 27 May 2010 13:45 #2066

• patman1776

tbkohl;460313 wrote: WELCOME BACK BILL!

Glad to see there IS life after divorce ..... *snicker*

Too much livin to do to worry about that stuff:arr

Thanks for welcoming me back, folks! :) The BOC (and this thread) is a great place to be. I have to say I missed it.........The weather up here in Connecticut is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL this weekend, so The "R B Lara" will be very happy up on Candlewood lake. Can't wait to get on the water. It is definitely my "therapy" ;)

Bill
2008 185 F&S "R. B. LARA"
3.0 L 135 Alpha I

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 30 May 2010 14:44 #2067

• mpurgy
Can some of you post pics and what size bimini you have. I have a 2010 175 and I am looking for what size looks best. I want to be able to stand at the helm while driving as well. Where did you mount? Thanks for any help

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 03 Jun 2010 11:55 #2068

• MAXXFJ
Had to dig down to the 5th page to find this thread, no posts for a few days. I guess everyone's out bop'n around on the water. It did not take very long to decide that I need a newer/bigger boat. Me & a buddy went for a spin at a local "larger" lake around here on Mem. day. This place has a lot of out of the way coves that people tie up to one another & hang out & party & whatever. I know a few people that go & went looking for them. Didn't find any of them, but met a bunch of people,(love the boating thing). Anyway, I had the oldest/smallest boat on that lake. It's my 1st boat & I got a great deal & it runs great & everything like that, but I felt like a dork being around all of these new boats. I am going to get my boat in perfect condition, fix anything that needs fixing, remod the interior over the winter & sell or trade up next year. OK, that it, just wanted to bump the thread up & wine/cry a bit.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 03 Jun 2010 17:51 #2069

• GPB
There are a lot of good reasons to buy a bigger boat.....but, I don't know if "I had the oldest/smallest boat on the lake" is one of them. If you've got a boat you have faith in, runs well, and meets your needs, consider yourself lucky !! I have a buddy with a 28' boat and he frequently envies me for being able to keep my boat in my driveway, tow it with a fuel efficient car, launch it myself, and have a blast on 5 gallons of gas, and the best part is it's paid off !!! Sure, I get a little beat up when it's rough, can't go way offshore, or overnight, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

2007 Bayliner 175
Cape Ann, MA

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 03 Jun 2010 18:32 #2070

• Hogger
I finally got my motor finished and mounted. It's a 1976 Johnson 85hp.
The interior is ripped out of the boat right now for re-upholstery. Should be ready to get her wet in a week or two.

Attached files

Past Projects:
2003 Blue Water Mirage.
1993 Maxum 1800.
1991 Bayliner Capri 1800.
1996 Sea Ray Sea Rayder.
[/COLOR]

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 04 Jun 2010 00:35 #2071

• nh boater
motor looks NICE:arr

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 04 Jun 2010 04:07 #2072

• sompa
what brand of lift do you guys have and any suggestions?

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 04 Jun 2010 09:15 #2073

• MAXXFJ
Oh it's not just having the oldest/smallest boat that makes me want a new one. It's just that the design has improved so much since '85 & I would like the extra room. I'm not talking 30'-er here, maybe no more than a 20' bowrider with a big V-8 I/O. That would be good. Don't get me wrong here, I'm a first time boat owner, got a super deal on this boat, it runs great & ran all day on 6 gal. of fuel. I'm good with what I got, but I'm just saying that after seeing so many really nice new boats this past weekend, I'm ready to move up, well, just as soon as my bank account allows it. I don't know the price of a brand new one like I want, but I'm sure it's like buying a car, I'm guessing there up in the mid 20's low 30's for what I want. Anyway, I guess I was having a "size envy" thing.:D

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 04 Jun 2010 13:53 #2074

• CapriSS2050
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

MAXXFJ;463105 wrote: Oh it's not just having the oldest/smallest boat that makes me want a new one. It's just that the design has improved so much since '85 & I would like the extra room. I'm not talking 30'-er here, maybe no more than a 20' bowrider with a big V-8 I/O. That would be good. Don't get me wrong here, I'm a first time boat owner, got a super deal on this boat, it runs great & ran all day on 6 gal. of fuel. I'm good with what I got, but I'm just saying that after seeing so many really nice new boats this past weekend, I'm ready to move up, well, just as soon as my bank account allows it. I don't know the price of a brand new one like I want, but I'm sure it's like buying a car, I'm guessing there up in the mid 20's low 30's for what I want. Anyway, I guess I was having a "size envy" thing.:D

Maxx- Fyi, i had my old boat for 10+ years (the 96' 2050SS)...it was a nice looking boat IMO and served us extremely well. Had some stringer/floor work to be done and it was time for me to move on. I just bought a new to me 08' model boat and yes it's awesome......but, when i'm on the lake i look at the older boats first - I just like them....also like old cars:) This is coming from someone with one of those new models......the new boats everyone you see having are a dime a dozen - they are everywhere. Now, come cruising up in an old model well cared for boat and that draws some attention from those who like boats. Many times i had people comment on my old boat at the ramps and they had new high end boats.

Personally, can't wait for the new owner of my old 2050SS to get repairs made and get her back on the lake.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 06 Jun 2010 12:12 #2075

• MAXXFJ
Ya, your right. Ever since I got my little Bayliner I've been entertaining that exact same thought, the well cared for older boat thought. That's exactly what I want to do is get it as good, or as close to brand new looking as possible. 2 reasons: 1: Gives me a feeling of pride & B: Resale when the time comes. (OH, the 1: & B: instead of a 2 is just a joke I saw in a movie, thought it was funny). But yes my friend I do hear what your saying, I'm just happy to be able to boat at all this summer, if it were not for this older Bayliner falling into my lap I'd be on-shore for shore (another joke). MAXXFJ

Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds