Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done !

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 07 May 2010 18:29 #2001

• mpurgy
  • Thank you received: 0
New member just got my boat on Mon the 3rd of May. 2010 bayliner 175, gona splash this weekend in Clear Lake Texas. Looking forward to all the great mods I have seen on this forum. Happy boating all!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 08 May 2010 20:03 #2002

• 2007_245br
Well I just finished all reading through all of the nearly 2,000 posts and you guys have some pretty nice ideas.

Does anyone trailer their boat with the 2 piece cover on it? The one with a separate bow and cockpit cover on. The reason I ask is that the dealer told us to not tow it with the covers on it, because it can fly off and bring cushions and stuff with them. Well we followed his advice and lost a 5 1/2ft long rear cushion, cupholder, and light cover on the hwy.

H2 Oasis
Port of St. Louis, MO
2007 245br
5.0l MPI merc

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 02:01 #2003

• dockhan
  • Thank you received: 3
I've been trailering mine with a similar 2 piece factory canvas for 2 years at 60-70 mph for 3-4 hour stretches with no ill effects. Just be sure to keep an eye in the rearview mirror. Occasionally, I've to pull over to fasten a loose snap. Here in my neck of the woods it often gets extremely windy.
I'd also advise to secure the folded bimini with a tie down to the ski ring to prevent it from bouncing around which will spoil your canvas and your gel coat underneath.

2008 Maxum 1800 MX, 3.0 L Mercruiser with power steering, engine mounted 55lb-thrust Minn Kota trolling motor, bow pull-up cleat, Optima Blue starting and dual Optima Blue trolling batteries, Yandina combiner, SS Stiletto 19p prop, Skeggard, bow Scuffbuster, Keelshield, retractable BoatBuckle...

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 03:06 #2004

• 2007_245br

dockhan;453880 wrote: I've been trailering mine with a similar 2 piece factory canvas for 2 years at 60-70 mph for 3-4 hour stretches with no ill effects. Just be sure to keep an eye in the rearview mirror. Occasionally, I've to pull over to fasten a loose snap. Here in my neck of the woods it often gets extremely windy.
I'd also advise to secure the folded bimini with a tie down to the ski ring to prevent it from bouncing around which will spoil your canvas and your gel coat underneath.

So you would recommend folding it down? If you look in my sig pic you can see that it folds up and stays in the up position, but it can lay flat on the top.

H2 Oasis
Port of St. Louis, MO
2007 245br
5.0l MPI merc

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 12:30 #2005

• zooman
I also tow my 175 with the two piece cover and with the bimini folded down flat to the boat. When I first picked up my boat two years ago I didn't fold down the bimini cover and one of the poles came out of the bracket on the side of the boat and chewed up some gel coat.

Good luck,
Matt

2008 Bayliner 175
79 hours so far!:arr

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 12:52 #2006

• bigclay
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I just cover it with a cheap trailerable cover from Wal-mart with the bimini down and it works great with my lead foot.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 21:47 #2007

• Skygazer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
We had a cover made for when we trailer and for storage in the winter.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Peggy
Husband Chuck and Badger the Border Collie
2006 Bayliner 185 4.3 Alpha One "Jackpot"

2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO PWC 160hp "Yamagogo"
In memory of "Seapuppy". :arr. Live each Day to the Fullest

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 22:07 #2008

• tbkohl
  • tbkohl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Sweet!

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 22:12 #2009

• tbkohl
  • tbkohl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

JWebber;452963 wrote: Thanks for that info. Is hustler the only people that make this type of spoon cup design in that size proip specs you gave me? Also can I use the same existing hub kit thats on my OEM black max prop?

Nope unfortunately.
If you do trash a Hustler the replacement is quite inexpensive next to OEM ones,

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 22:30 #2010

• sleeper
I have trailered with the bow and cockpit covers on no problem. We mostly have a short trip, so usually we trailer with no cover. We lost a cushion also, but I fixed that problem. I added snaps to the rear seats to keep that from happening again.

2007_245br;453773 wrote: Well I just finished all reading through all of the nearly 2,000 posts and you guys have some pretty nice ideas.

Does anyone trailer their boat with the 2 piece cover on it? The one with a separate bow and cockpit cover on. The reason I ask is that the dealer told us to not tow it with the covers on it, because it can fly off and bring cushions and stuff with them. Well we followed his advice and lost a 5 1/2ft long rear cushion, cupholder, and light cover on the hwy.

Attached files

08 Bayliner 195 with 4.3 mercruiser alpha one
60lb SX smart tabs
Stiletto bay-pro II 4-blade stainless prop

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 23:02 #2011

• Danny
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 18

sleeper;454121 wrote: I have trailered with the bow and cockpit covers on no problem. We mostly have a short trip, so usually we trailer with no cover. We lost a cushion also, but I fixed that problem. I added snaps to the rear seats to keep that from happening again.

Hi Sleeper,
If possible, can you post a couple of more detailed photos.

Danny.
Gold Coast, Australia.
2002 195 Sports V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
High five 21" s/s prop

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 09 May 2010 23:23 #2012

• sleeper

Danny;454124 wrote: Hi Sleeper,
If possible, can you post a couple of more detailed photos.

no problem.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/454127=10472-boat snaps.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/454127=10473-boat snaps2.jpg

08 Bayliner 195 with 4.3 mercruiser alpha one
60lb SX smart tabs
Stiletto bay-pro II 4-blade stainless prop

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 10 May 2010 01:52 #2013

• rick35
My preference has been to trailer with the two piece canvas on as it means I don't have to worry about losing anything out of the boat. But when I do trailer without the canvas I have installed snaps to keep the cushions in place and I also use bungies to lash anything else down.

I would not trailer with the bimini up all they way. I think you'll find that there will be too much sway. I use quick release bimini hinges and another set of short rear legs to drop the bimini down to a few inches off the back of the boat.

You might also want to inspect your bimini to make sure there isn't too much movement inside the bimini cover when trailering. I found some wear on the inside from where it made contact with the bimini cross piece. You definitely need to make sure there's some duct tape over the screws that hold the poles together as any movement of the canvas will result in certain wear. I use ball and loop bungies to snug the bimini cover around the cross piece to eliminate any movement.

I have a custom fit sunbrella trailer cover that I use for storage in the yard. I have been reluctant to use it when trailering as the straps flap and cause discoloring and pitting in the gelcoat. I just installed some homemade terrycloth sleaves around the straps and I'll have to wait until next trip to see how they work out. Even with the custom fit cover I get some movement. I'd be very concerned about an inexpensive cover as it will probably move a lot and cause damage to the gelcoat.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 10 May 2010 02:32 #2014

• Danny
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 18

sleeper;454127 wrote: no problem.

Thanks mate.
Another good mod to add to the list.:D

Danny.
Gold Coast, Australia.
2002 195 Sports V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
High five 21" s/s prop

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 10 May 2010 15:37 #2015

• tflessner
  • Thank you received: 1
Got my transom trim switch installed a couple months ago, but didn't get a picture posted. This thing is SO nice, should have done it when I got the boat!

Todd
1992 2051 Bayliner (fixer-upper)
350 (5.7 liter) V-8,
Mercruiser Alpha One - Gen 2.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 11 May 2010 04:00 #2016

• cdbass
Hello, I'm new to the site and new to boating. We just bought our first boat, the 175BR. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. This has been good, I was wondering about driving with the bimini cover. I think for as easy as it is to take off, I'll just do that and tuck it under the cockpit cover. I had the exact experience with the canvas cover Rick. Brand new from the dealership and on the port side from meeting traffic discoloration and pitting. I hear if you give the strap a half twist it reduces the vibrating. Very disappointing though.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 12 May 2010 09:36 #2017

• MAXXFJ
I posted this question in another thread discussing trim tabs, but not sure if anyone will see it on page 4 of the thread. I have a 16' bowrider, 85hp o/b, the o/b has a "whale tail" on it now & I want to install the "Trim Tabs". Do I need to remove the "whale tail" when installing trim tabs or can they both be used at the same time? Do both basically do the same thing? I'll be running the boat for the first time this weekend.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 12 May 2010 16:18 #2018

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8
I say remove it, which it creates more drag under the water vs. tabs riding on upper surface to get your bow down on hole shot. The fin on your drive is hydrofoil under water and tabs are upper surface drag. IMHO! Or just leave it on and try both.

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 12 May 2010 16:54 #2019

• Skygazer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hey TIM

Almost 2000 posts!

I remember in my early days here at the BOC, I was pushing for the Admirals Forum. I had many posts for the ladies (they have all been "purged"). I have to laugh, I seldom, if ever post there. Most of the gals have cruisers and I am a speedboat-waverunner girl.

Guess I prefer to be with the boys :D

Peggy

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 13 May 2010 18:55 #2020

• MAXXFJ
I have a quick question on what battery will best suit my needs on my boat. It's an 85hp Force o/b, basic lights on it, a basic stereo w/2 spk.'s, & depth finder. I'm not that much into the music thing so that won't be used much. What type of battery do I need? Just looking for a basic needs battery, I don't need the "super-duper" megga never die, $5000 one. What am I looking for- a marine battery I know, but what cranking amp or volt? Are all marine battery's deep cycle? & what the hell does that mean anyway? Just looking for a heads up so I don't get ripped off at the store. Thanks, MAXX

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 13 May 2010 19:03 #2021

• R&Jonthebay
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 60
:D

Skygazer;455278 wrote: Hey TIM

Almost 2000 posts!

I remember in my early days here at the BOC, I was pushing for the Admirals Forum. I had many posts for the ladies (they have all been "purged"). I have to laugh, I seldom, if ever post there. Most of the gals have cruisers and I am a speedboat-waverunner girl.

Guess I prefer to be with the boys :D

I always knew you were my kind of girl.;)

Reed :D

R&Jonthebay
Reed & Jan
1988 3218-TAHITI

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 13 May 2010 21:36 #2022

• Dave.Mishchenko

MAXXFJ;455723 wrote: Are all marine battery's deep cycle? & what the hell does that mean anyway? Just looking for a heads up so I don't get ripped off at the store. Thanks, MAXX

The chart here will give you an idea of what size you can go with - http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/marine.php .

This will show you the capacity rating for the same batteries - http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/bluetop/specs.php . The 34M is a starting battery, the others are deep cycle. A deep cycle battery is designed to be discharged repeated to almost its full capacity. Doing that will a starter battery will shorten its life. The other blue top batteries listed about are dual purpose (deep cycle / starting). With a deep cycle you would typically uses that with a trolling motor or dedicated to running your stereo or other appliances. In your case it sounds like a starter battery or dual purpose would be fine.

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 13 May 2010 21:38 #2023

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8

MAXXFJ;455723 wrote: I have a quick question on what battery will best suit my needs on my boat. It's an 85hp Force o/b, basic lights on it, a basic stereo w/2 spk.'s, & depth finder. I'm not that much into the music thing so that won't be used much. What type of battery do I need? Just looking for a basic needs battery, I don't need the "super-duper" megga never die, $5000 one. What am I looking for- a marine battery I know, but what cranking amp or volt? Are all marine battery's deep cycle? & what the hell does that mean anyway? Just looking for a heads up so I don't get ripped off at the store. Thanks, MAXX

Deep cycle can be ran down to almost nothing with damage vs. start battery.
And recharge cycles can be a little longer etc.. I would start with what you had or find out specs on your o/b for cc amps cca amps etc.. many on the market that are good; I like Optimas blue tops, they are dry gel cells you can lay them sideways, and bit smaller in size somewhat. They are pricy but last longer. look up info on the internet about deep cycle batteries.

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 14 May 2010 00:41 #2024

• Skygazer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

r&jonthebay;455726 wrote: :d

i always knew you were my kind of girl.;)

reed :d

I yam what I yam :D

Peggy

Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done ! 14 May 2010 01:37 #2025

• 2007_245br
Almost 2,000 posts!

H2 Oasis
Port of St. Louis, MO
2007 245br
5.0l MPI merc
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds