Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 26 Sep 2017 01:33 #1

• stephd71
  • stephd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We recently purchased a new 2017 Vr5 outboard. It did not come with a boat specific manual, nor is one available online. Does anyone currently have this boat and pull tubes? Where is the best place to attach tow ropes as the u clips are underwater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 26 Sep 2017 11:48 #2

• nwoashadow
  • Thank you received: 0
This might be what you are looking for.

turboswing.com/

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

79 25' Catalina sail boat.
Saving up for a VR6
Lake Erie Sandusky area

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 26 Sep 2017 13:19 #3

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551

stephd71 wrote: We recently purchased a new 2017 Vr5 outboard. It did not come with a boat specific manual, nor is one available online. Does anyone currently have this boat and pull tubes? Where is the best place to attach tow ropes as the u clips are underwater.

YOu need to buy a Y harness that clips onto the U clips on the transom. There will be a float at the convergence of the Y that keeps the rope away from the prop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stephd71

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 27 Sep 2017 02:33 #4

• fishbayers
  • Thank you received: 16
Did the boat come with a ski pylon or something similar? If not, your next best option is a harness but you said that the attachment points are under water. Why do they do that? They did that with the Elements too. The next option, as mentioned, is the Turboswing, but that is overkill if you just want to pull tubes. If designed correctly, you should be able to attach a harness without the attachment being under water.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 28 Sep 2017 20:51 #5

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 52
The problem with the stern eyes ("U-clips?) and tubes is that the line will drag in the water underway, and make it difficult to "slide" the tube across the wake (on any boat). You want to have a higher attachment point. The turboswing is one option (though I am not a fan), or a proper rugged attachment point such as an appropriate arch, pylon, or tower (I/O's sometimes have a nice "ski tow eye" high in the middle of the transom; not an option with an outboard).

Lots of boats with optional add-on swim platforms have the stern eyes at or close to the waterline. The stern eyes are not "intended" as harness attachment points or lift points, they are intended as trailering tie-down points.. So you need access to them from below. They cannot be above the swim platform unless the swim platform is designed and installed with large openings; this creates another set of design and manufacturing challenges. As a result, many manufacturers place them below the swim platform.

Another option would be to raise the swim platform, creating yet another set of challenges.

It is a design choice, not a design error.

Last Edit: by 6104696.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 29 Sep 2017 00:39 #6

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64
A cheaper option that had been discussed here is a Booster Ball. I goes between the boat and tube to raise the line out of the water.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 29 Sep 2017 03:19 #7

• fishbayers
Most or all ski pylons and the Element arch are not designed for use with tubes. The manufacturers know this and also know the the stern eyes will be used for towing tubes with a harness. Bayliner for some reason puts the stern eyes lower than most, creating difficulty in pulling tubes.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 29 Sep 2017 14:22 #8

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 52

fishbayers wrote: Most or all ski pylons and the Element arch are not designed for use with tubes. The manufacturers know this and also know the the stern eyes will be used for towing tubes with a harness. Bayliner for some reason puts the stern eyes lower than most, creating difficulty in pulling tubes.

This statement is too full of fallacies and misinformation to warrant a reply.

OP, the booster ball mentioned previously may be a cheaper option; I have seen a few in use and have generally heard good things, but I have not used one myself.

Or, as mentioned earlier, if you want to spend some more coin you could find a good fabricator that will make you an arch or pylon or tower that will would be fine for towing tubes, wakeboards, and skis, and you could be one of the thousands that use such arches and pylons for such a purpose.

I'm gonna try to steer clear of debating with misguided misinformation sources, so I will bow out of this thread now.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 30 Sep 2017 20:45 #9

• fishbayers
There are many threads on the topic of towing tubes with the ski arch or a tow pylon. The forces that are exhibited when a tube submarines is the issue as the rope won't release like a person will when the force exceeds their grip. It could be debated, but calling it a fallacy is just being argumentative and lacking knowledge of the topic. There are typically warning stickers on the tow points.
My other point about the stern eyes being low is also true. While it is not the primary function of the stern eyes, the low position makes it difficult for rope attachment. This is also supported in other threads.
It is hilarious to say my post was full of misinformation and did not warrant a reply, yet a reply was made. :lol:

Last Edit: by fishbayers.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 01 Oct 2017 08:00 #10

• Greg Tomamichel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 98
This really does seem to be a bad design miss on the outboard, given that the I/O gets a tow rope attachment point up high in the centre of the stern. Seems really odd that Bayliner wouldn't have provided rope attachments for bridle up above the water line.

I'm not sure how feasible it would be on the VR5, but I would look to install rope attachments into a structural part of the stern.

2007 Bayliner 175 3.0l Mercruiser
Lake use for water sports
Victoria, Australia

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 01 Oct 2017 19:59 #11

• fishbayers
Most boat manufacturers place the stern eyes high enough to utilize a rope harness. I am not sure where they are located on the VR5 but on the Elements they are actually too close to the center as well as being too low.
The best option for the VR5 is probably the Turboswing but it runs about 600USD. I have also read somewhere that the Turboswing is not to be used in the Elements, something with the strength or design of the transom.

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 17 Oct 2017 20:42 #12

• DanVR6
  • Thank you received: 2
I have been running my VR6 outboard with the factory tower for one year now. The manufacturer of the factory tower is Monster Tower. I called monster at the beginning of the season to find out what they there take on towing a tube with the tower was. They said under no circumstances should you tow a tube with any of the towers that they make.

dan

Towing a tube or wakeboard behind 2017 Vr5 18 Oct 2017 18:09 #13

• heedrix
  • Thank you received: 2
Just have someone sit in the back and hold the other end of the rope.

Ontario
2016 170BR
90 HP
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds