Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buying

Buying 25 Sep 2017 15:47 #1

• Ngonzales4589
  • Ngonzales4589's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Not Sure if this is how to ask the question or the place but I am considering buying a 2011 Bayliner 160 with a 4 stroke 60 hp mercury EFI outboard motor. concerned it may not be powerful enough to pull a tuber.
Any input would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buying 26 Sep 2017 20:45 #2

• Jay Myers
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
I would think a 60 on a 160 would have enough oomph to pull a tube. provided its fully inflated and not over loaded. Just my opinion, a 160 is very tight. with very little storage space. Also the seats are fixed and do not adjust. I am sure there are 160 owners out there that have fun with them.

Jay Myers
Raystown Lake Huntingdon PA
2013 170 115fs
2011 Jeep Compass

Buying 26 Sep 2017 22:16 #3

• Flying Scotsman
  • Thank you received: 0
Had this exact model as my first boat, added the tow pylon and it was ok for pulling my son on the tube, with my wife and I onboard. Tried my son and his buddy on a double tube and it really struggled (again with my wife and I onboard).

It was a great starter boat for just the three of us doing short trips on the lake, but if your looking to pull a tuber or carry more than 2 passengers, personally I would go for a larger motor in all honesty.

2017 Bayliner VR5

Buying 27 Sep 2017 01:08 #4

• Squiddy
  • Thank you received: 1
When buying a boat, there are considerations such as budget, storage location, and size that you are comfortable with.
My first boat was an 18 ft bowrider with a 3.0. My kids were in middle school at the time, and we had a great time boating on the sound.
The kids got bigger, their friends got bigger, and we out-grew the boat after 2 years. The boat was under-powered for my purposes and I was always moving people around the boat so I could get on plane. I spent most of the day at 4200 rpm. We had to go boating in shifts and it was a hassle.
The difference in deck space, stability, and power between that boat and a 21 ft bowrider with 5.0 is significant.
I recommend you buy the biggest boat that you are comfortable with. Now is a good time to buy and you can find a 20 footer that has low hours and well-cared for.
I do appreciate wanting to start smaller with a 16 ft boat. They're easy to tow, launch, and maneuver. They run all weekend on 20 gallons of gas and there's no problem with draft.

Randy
2006 Bayliner BR205
5.0 Carb, Alpha 1 Gen 2
Chesapeake, VA

Buying 08 Oct 2017 11:55 #5

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
If you do purchase the boat and are not concerned with WOT speed a simple solution would be to drop a pitch or two on the prop....More power on the low end, less top end speed. For instance..If the boat came with a 14P prop, just drop down to a 13P or 12P prop.

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds