Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 19 Jul 2017 13:20 #1

• freechip
  • freechip's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 16
I've been having issues finding the right prop for my setup or type of boating and part of the reason for my issue is I believe the OEM RPM gauge is off by 400-1,000 rpm. The large difference is because I think the offset is percentage meaning the higher RPM the greater the increase in offset. Here's what is going on that is my issue.

Info on engine itself says 650RPM at neutral idle (non adjustable) and 625 in gear at idle. (or the other way around but not super important for this right up). My RPM gauge however shows almost 1,000rpm at idle. Engine specs in manual list 4,400 - 4,800 WOT (recommended) and rev limiter at 4,950. I figure I would see for myself what the manual says will happen when rev limiter is reached.

I was able to reach +/- 6,000 RPM without reaching rev limiter BUT GPS confirmed speeds are indicating the speeds that this vessel is supposed to be doing and has been posted by many boat reviewers.
So I'm thinking that at idle my RPM may be off by 400 but at WOT my RPM gauge is off by +/- 1,000.

Anyways this bring me to the topic of this thread Mercury's VesselView Module After reading up on it and reading many posts/comments and watching videos I decided to pull the trigger on this item for its many benefits BUT also as a tool to once and for all figuring this RPM offset issue I think I have. Called my local Mercury dealer (5min from my home) and ordered it. 370$cnd I figured at that price it wasn't worth it for me to source it from the states due to shipping, duty fees and taxes.

I started this thread for VR5 owners and any other owners interested in Mercury's VVM. I will be picking it up this morning and will document the installation with pictures. I already inspected engine to see if I could locate the required connector and WOW Mercury made is easy to find on the 4.5L (200hp) engine that I got in my 2017 VR5. The large black/grey plastic engine cover just lifts up and off its rubber grommets and just left of the main breaker is the RED Terminator plug. From everything I read on installing this I think the hardest part will be to find a suitable place to mount or position the module itself.

Steps and Pics coming soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by freechip.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 19 Jul 2017 18:41 #2

• jfbspb
  • Thank you received: 1
Freechip, I would be interested in your install. Pics would be great. My RPM's sound just like what you are describing, so maybe there is some more credibility to your thoughts.

I have a 2016 VR5 with the 4.3L and after having issues getting out of the hole finally found a 4 blade 19 pitch prop that changed the whole feeling of the boat. There are a couple other threads about the prop issue on BOC. Have you found a prop yet?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhythmpoetdonut

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 19 Jul 2017 23:38 #3

• rgs2horses
  • Thank you received: 14
See thread on Vessel View Mobile
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Ron

2016 VR5 - 4.5 Mercruiser

2017 Ram Crew Cab - 4X4 - 5.7 Hemi

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 19 Jul 2017 23:39 #4

• freechip
Right now I'm running Spitfire 14" x 19p 4 blade. But I already know fully loaded with fuel, gear and people it's a little sluggish getting on plane. But since most of my running is 4 people I'm sticking with it plus I spent my quota for the year on this that I'll wait next year to get another prop, something like a Black Max 14.5 x 17p for those days that we are 8 and doing some water sports.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 19 Jul 2017 23:50 #5

• freechip
Ok here we go. Picked up my VVM from dealer and inspected package. It appears to be a very nice well built item.

Black cover simply held by rubber grommets, removing it is super simple. The "red" Terminator connector is right there next to breaker. Removed it and connected in place of dummy cap on VVM. Connected VVM to engine.

Turned key to On and started app and connected.

Answered few questions on App and voila.

Without even being in the water I'm already super stoked about this. I had logged in my phone my Hours based on my GPS info I use in my boat purely to keep more accurate track of speed, max speed and moving time, total time and stop time it provides.

I had logged based on that 29hrs but I personnally know I had rounded some times in the plus just so I'm better off being off with more which would make me do maintance prematurely instead of late.

I was pleasantly happy to see VVM show 26.9 letting me know my current method was working but now I got the real thing straight from engine computer.

Here are some pics, I have yet to mount the module itself at the time of this post.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 19 Jul 2017 23:51 #6

• freechip
More pics including first look at my hours and remaining hours for servicing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jfbspb, rhythmpoetdonut

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 20 Jul 2017 00:26 #7

• freechip
In the end this is how I position the VVM's two connector and how I mounted to module itself l.

This message has an attachment image.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 21 Jul 2017 01:38 #8

• freechip
Well after an hour and half of running with the VVM this evening I'm super happy with my decision to buy it.

And just as I suspected my rpm gauge is indeed off.

+/- 300 at idle which increases to over 1,100 +/- at higher rpm.

I guess I'll attempt to adjust the analog gauge with adjustment on the back to best of my ability since dealer didn't do it when I asked them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jfbspb

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 21 Jul 2017 04:09 #9

• Redwngr
  • Thank you received: 6
Did you check the tach at WOT?

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 21 Jul 2017 11:34 #10

• freechip
Yes, analog tach displayed just under 6,000 give or take while VVM displayed almost 4,700rpm. With a recommended 4,400 to 4,800 WOT rpm for my 4.5L 200hp engine I'm pleased with 4,700.
This is running with a Spitfire 14 x 19P 4 blade. I'll be looking into getting maybe a BlackMax 17P for next year for when I'm fully loaded with passengers and doing watersports.

RIght now I have the Spitfire 19P(4blade) installed and the BlackMax 19P (3blade) as spare/backup, this is the prop that came with it from dealer/manufacturer.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 21 Jul 2017 18:52 #11

• Hawk
  • Thank you received: 10

freechip wrote: Yes, analog tach displayed just under 6,000 give or take while VVM displayed almost 4,700rpm. With a recommended 4,400 to 4,800 WOT rpm for my 4.5L 200hp engine I'm pleased with 4,700.
This is running with a Spitfire 14 x 19P 4 blade. I'll be looking into getting maybe a BlackMax 17P for next year for when I'm fully loaded with passengers and doing watersports.

RIght now I have the Spitfire 19P(4blade) installed and the BlackMax 19P (3blade) as spare/backup, this is the prop that came with it from dealer/manufacturer.

Thanks for the install and display info,that's a great piece of kit! next purchase on my list.
With regards to your analog tach error, is the connection jumper/switch on the back of the gauge set to V6 for your engine.

Current Boat: 2016 Bayliner VR6 4.5L 250
Previous Boat: 2015 Bayliner 175 3.0L TKS 135

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 21 Jul 2017 19:46 #12

• freechip
I didn't see any switch per say but a dial sort of speak that could be adjusted using small flat screw driver.

It had numbering 1,2,3,4,5,6

I never played with it cause I was hoping dealer would do it right. Now that I have the VVM and can see tach right from motor I'll play with it myself.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 21 Jul 2017 22:00 #13

• Hawk

freechip wrote: I didn't see any switch per say but a dial sort of speak that could be adjusted using small flat screw driver.

It had numbering 1,2,3,4,5,6

I never played with it cause I was hoping dealer would do it right. Now that I have the VVM and can see tach right from motor I'll play with it myself.

The numbers should relate to the V number of your engine, mine has the correct corresponding switch number that relates to the engine V number printed on the back of the gauge.

Last Edit: by Hawk.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 21 Jul 2017 22:31 #14

• freechip
And yours is accurate?

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 22 Jul 2017 02:29 #15

• rgs2horses
  • Thank you received: 14
Just a fyi, the gauges on my VR5 are spot on with the VVM numbers. I was surprised that the analog gauges were that accurate

Ron

2016 VR5 - 4.5 Mercruiser

2017 Ram Crew Cab - 4X4 - 5.7 Hemi

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 22 Jul 2017 06:34 #16

• Hawk

freechip wrote: And yours is accurate?

When I went out on our VR6 for the handover, the RPM seemed high, and when the back of the gauge was checked it was on the wrong setting, (apparently this is common) when on the correct setting the RPM dropped down, at the time I didn't really grasp what they were adjusting, and didn't take note of the exact figures.
On a later trip out after the first service, the dealers attached a PC to the engine, and they confirmed that it was reading with acceptable accuracy for an analogue gauge.
However as stated before, I still think it is reading slightly high, I have got it up to 5200 RPM on many occasions, but the readings logged show 5200 RPM hours as 0.0

Last Edit: by Hawk.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 23 Jul 2017 21:17 #17

• freechip
Couple minutes of fooling around with adjustment and it's now perfect as well. Would have been even easier had I had a spotter to look at gauge while I made the adjustment. Oh well it dead on now.

Just have pics at the 1,000 mark but at every thousand it's IMO perfect. At least. I can get better reading with it in the events I'm not using the App.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 08 Aug 2017 06:56 #18

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • Thank you received: 4
This is GREAT Freechip! I never knew such a device existed. Sounds like it'll fit right on my 4.3L V6 MPI.

Just a few Qs: I take it you leave it on the engine permanently? Are you adjusting on the water or with muffs? How does it calculate fuel? Based on anticipated consumption from engine data? Is there a significant chance or perhaps almost no chance (?) the connections will wear with vibration?

This is extremely impressive.
Heck -- I might just buy a crappy blue tooth iPOD from way back and just mount it permanently to the dash.

Thank you for posting!!!

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 18 Aug 2017 00:03 #19

• freechip
I made my adjustments on the water. The dial on back of gauge has notches sort of speak so it was just a matter of getting it in the right one.

It's accurate throughout the entire range, I'm very happy.

Yes the module is permanently installed sort of speak. It's just connector to ECU via the termination plug. Literally plug and play.

For fuel you must tell the app how much fuel is onboard, then it does all the rest. I found it extremely accurate.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 18 Aug 2017 00:28 #20

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
Another nice find! I have to stop reading BOC because it's costing me $! Like Jon, I need to get one of these for my 4.3L MPI.

The last time out, my RPM's were reading way higher than usual. I convinced myself at the time that it was weather related conditions just making the engine work harder, but I wasn't really convinced all that much and still have that feeling in my gut something isn't right. After reading this, I'm wondering if something isn't amiss with the RPM gauge. (Just had to have the trim gauge sending unit replaced since it wasn't working right either.)

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 18 Aug 2017 00:39 #21

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

rgs2horses wrote: See thread on Vessel View Mobile

Thanks for the reminder. Just did a Google Advanced search of BOC. There are a couple threads on the topic that I missed completely.

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 18 Aug 2017 01:59 #22

• WesleyCD
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi

Will this work on a 2011 model Bayliner 175?

Thanks

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 18 Aug 2017 09:32 #23

• freechip
FAQ - Which Mercury engines are compatible with the VesselView Mobile module?

Answer - Any 2003 and newer, 40 HP and above Mercury outboard or MerCruiser sterndrive / inboard engine compatible with SmartCraft. Please visit your local Mercury dealer if you have questions on your engine’s compatibility.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 18 Aug 2017 13:09 #24

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64

WesleyCD wrote: Hi

Thanks

As stated it should work with your 2011, but if your unsure call Mercury with your serial number of your engine and they will confirm it.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

2017 Bayliner VR5 / Adding Mercury VesselView Module 18 Aug 2017 13:25 #25

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

Waterdowg wrote:

WesleyCD wrote: Hi

Thanks

As stated it should work with your 2011, but if your unsure call Mercury with your serial number of your engine and they will confirm it.

As Waterdowg states, with the serial number Mercury can confirm. I am certain my 2015 engine has SmartCraft technology, but to just to confirm I used the online/email support form; sent my request at 9pm last night, got confirmation at 835am this morning.

Here's the link (I got this from another BOC thread on this topic): www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/contact/merc...-customer-assistance

Rick

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds