Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Weight Limits?

Weight Limits? 01 May 2017 15:44 #1

• mattfluke
  • mattfluke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Everyone. We are being given my fathers boat ('89 Capril 1750) and are looking for some information on it. I've tried googling it and all I can find is the basic weight/length of the boat. What we're specifically looking for is how many people can we have on board and the weight limit for those people.

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weight Limits? 01 May 2017 15:59 #2

• Mr. Darcy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 167
First off, welcome to the BOC forum. There should be a required capacity plate somewhere near the rear of the boat. It should answer your questions. For the purpose of that plate they use the outdated standard of just 150 pounds for each person. Unfortunately I don't think that is the average weight of a person today. Myself included.

Greg
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattfluke

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....

Weight Limits? 01 May 2017 16:15 #3

• mattfluke
  • mattfluke's Avatar Topic Author
Unfortunately, the boat is still in Idaho until July when we go retrieve it. I saw that 150 lbs/person "suggestion" on another forum question, which is what prompted me to ask. Seriously, 150 lbs? Most football playing (this is Texas) teenagers don't even weight that. That's my concern. If we get 3 average sized teenagers (around this mark) and 3 **ahem** slightly (okay, a lot) fluffier adults, are we going to have an issue?

For the record, this is Matt's wife asking these questions. He's a confident boater, but I'm new to this. I'm overly cautious and am less likely to test these boundaries than he is.

Thanks, Michelle

Weight Limits? 01 May 2017 21:00 #4

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 51

mattfluke wrote: Unfortunately, the boat is still in Idaho until July when we go retrieve it. I saw that 150 lbs/person "suggestion" on another forum question, which is what prompted me to ask. Seriously, 150 lbs? Most football playing (this is Texas) teenagers don't even weight that. That's my concern. If we get 3 average sized teenagers (around this mark) and 3 **ahem** slightly (okay, a lot) fluffier adults, are we going to have an issue?

For the record, this is Matt's wife asking these questions. He's a confident boater, but I'm new to this. I'm overly cautious and am less likely to test these boundaries than he is.

Thanks, Michelle

My 2007 bayliner 175 was rated for 7 people or 885 pounds. My wife and I laughed our tails off when we saw that one.

Weight Limits? 01 May 2017 21:47 #5

• rexpress
  • Thank you received: 1
In my opinion, 4 full grown adults is all this boat can safely accommodate regardless of what the federally required sticker states.
When loading your small boat always consider the weight and positioning of each passengers' gear, weight of cooler, etc. and potential weather conditions.
rx

Weight Limits? 02 May 2017 06:44 #6

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

mattfluke wrote: Unfortunately, the boat is still in Idaho until July when we go retrieve it. I saw that 150 lbs/person "suggestion" on another forum question, which is what prompted me to ask. Seriously, 150 lbs? Most football playing (this is Texas) teenagers don't even weight that. That's my concern. If we get 3 average sized teenagers (around this mark) and 3 **ahem** slightly (okay, a lot) fluffier adults, are we going to have an issue?

Thanks, Michelle

Now that you've outed yourself, you'll get no respect. B) (Just kidding of course.) First, legally you must have one PFD per person on board, and people 12 and under must wear them. IMO, you, Matt and Colin, plus a similar sized family, would max out that boat. And welcome to the BOC! :cheer:

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Weight Limits? 02 May 2017 07:39 #7

• wgander
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
You also have to have a throwable PFD aboard. Smaller boats usually have a seat cushion type PFD for that purpose.
The 150# person is being reviewed by the USCG, but changes take a long time to develop, announce, enact and enforce.

1998 Capri 1950CL
3 Liter MerCruiser
Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Weight Limits? 02 May 2017 10:46 #8

• mj989
I checked the 185BR manual.

so there is a difference in maximum load and number of people allowed between the US (called Domestic) and CE (European certification, called International)

US load is 1030 lbs (1100 lbs with fuel I guess).
CE load is 535 kg (which would be 1179.47 lbs).

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

and the layout is like this:

so the US configuration would allow average of 128,75 lbs (58,40kg) per person.
CE would than be 168,50 lbs (76,43 kg) per person.

I do fit into the CE average, but with taller friends it would be difficult, no problem for the ladies, but the US average look very tight ;)

185 BR FL 2015

Weight Limits? 02 May 2017 16:33 #9

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast

mj989 wrote: I checked the 185BR manual.

so there is a difference in maximum load and number of people allowed between the US (called Domestic) and CE (European certification, called International)

US load is 1030 lbs (1100 lbs with fuel I guess).
CE load is 535 kg (which would be 1179.47 lbs).

and the layout is like this:

Nice information, but the boat in question is a 1750, a smaller, older version of yours.

so the US configuration would allow average of 128,75 lbs (58,40kg) per person.
CE would than be 168,50 lbs (76,43 kg) per person.

I do fit into the CE average, but with taller friends it would be difficult, no problem for the ladies, but the US average look very tight ;)

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"

Weight Limits? 02 May 2017 20:38 #10

• mj989

Jeffw wrote: Nice information, but the boat in question is a 1750, a smaller, older version of yours.

Apologies, I do understand that I have not provided valuable information in my post, I was just trying to contribute to the discussion on the "average weight" of a person that Bayliner proposes for their boats.. :oops:

185 BR FL 2015

Weight Limits? 03 May 2017 18:20 #11

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast

mj989 wrote:

Jeffw wrote: Nice information, but the boat in question is a 1750, a smaller, older version of yours.

Apologies, I do understand that I have not provided valuable information in my post, I was just trying to contribute to the discussion on the "average weight" of a person that Bayliner proposes for their boats.. :oops:

Point taken, thanks.:)

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds