Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1986 bayliner capri 2150 leaking gas

1986 bayliner capri 2150 leaking gas 18 Apr 2017 03:43 #26

• wgander
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Replacing the fuel vent is easy, just awkward to reach. There is probably one clamp holding the vent tube to the fitting with one screw to be loosened..Remove the vent tube from the inside. Then remove the retaining nut on the inside to remove the vent from the outside.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1998 Capri 1950CL
3 Liter MerCruiser
Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

1986 bayliner capri 2150 leaking gas 18 Apr 2017 13:15 #27

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553

Asharpe0687 wrote: I don't smell guess when I open up the hatch... there was some dirty water at the bottom that I cleaned out and drained completely. I am going to wait a few days and see if I smell or see any gas leaking in the bilge. As for replacing the fitting is it a matter of just ripping it off and replacing it?

There is literally no other way to get raw gas dripping out of the drain hole than to have raw gas in the bilge. There's no other place for it to go.

Replacing the fitting is easy. Get a new one, get a new hose, remove the old hose, remove old fitting, bed new fitting into 4200, connect hose, done.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

1986 bayliner capri 2150 leaking gas 19 Apr 2017 10:01 #28

• Asharpe0687
  • Asharpe0687's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Kiwi68 wrote: Sounds like you have over filled your boat. Looking at the pictures it appears that the fuel vent is lower than the filler point.
You said the stern is down and you have had warm weather. Is it possible the warmer weather has pressurised the fuel tank.
Is the breather hose at the stern end of the fuel tank? If so then (possibly) the fuel has been forced up your breather hose and pouring the fuel down the transom?
There appears to be some white residue of fuel beneath the breather.

So each night when it gets cold the fuel cools the air is drawn back down the breather line to the tank. But since this is the lowest point on the tank - the air travels to the top of the tank (the bow). So priming it for the next day then fuel can be pushed back up the breather and if enough pressure/expansion of the fuel.

it does not take a lot of fuel to fill a small 5/8 hose vrs the volume of fuel in the tank.

Level out your boat, I think the fuel gauge is faulty - which is common.

I did not put any gas into the boat. The gauge( which could be faulty) was showing me half full. As for the vent hose, yes it is at the stern of the fuel tank. I will lower the boat to fix this problem but it hasn't happened since that one time when it was really warm out.

1986 bayliner capri 2150 leaking gas 19 Apr 2017 10:57 #29

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
What i would do is pressure test the tank to 4 psi.

If it holds then fine if not you looking for a new tank.

I got one in the backyard 30 gallons i am taking to the dump when i sell the house.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

1986 bayliner capri 2150 leaking gas 23 Apr 2017 16:01 #30

• Asharpe0687
  • Asharpe0687's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Update... there is no gas leaking into the bilge from the tank... the vent is almost impossible to get to due to it being so far up on the transom... my question for everyone is would it be possible to run the vent hose somewhere else?

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds