Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Apr 2017 19:49 #26

• Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 51

pepperjack wrote: Quick question for you guys. I'm going out for the first time in the boat (after the test drive) and I need to get fuel into it before we launch. The Chevron that is 1 mile from the ramp has 90 oct ethanol free marine fuel. I was planning on just driving there first and fill the tank while still in the boat at the pump. Any issues with this? mainly leaving the tank in the boat without removing it and putting down on the concrete first. I may be over thinking this, but I also don't want to cause an issue or accident. How would a marina dissipate the static charge by handing you the pump to fill the plastic tank with no metal lip to dissipate?

\\

As I mentioned previously, I use a grounding chain when filling plastic tanks that are not on the ground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Apr 2017 20:37 #27

• pepperjack
  • pepperjack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Where and how do you attach or use a grounding chain.

2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Apr 2017 01:15 #28

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92
Why not just fill a portable gas tank at your local gas station, then fill your boat tank from within the boat. You will need to do this a couple of time to completely fill the boat tank for the first time. However, afterwards you just keep topping up the boat tank as need. The price per gallon will be quite a bit cheaper than purchasing it at the marina. You'll have more money to buy more gas to enjoy your boat more often on the water? I use a 6 gal portable tank. Make sure you use the largest funnel you can find. Mine is about 18"in diameter.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Apr 2017 10:30 #29

• Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 51
I keep a few feet of metal chain in the truck; nothing fancy. Before filling up, I wrap one end of the chain once or twice around the handle of the fuel container. the other end then is dropped to the ground. in theory, any static electricity from the container is thus discharged....same as placing the fuel container on the ground but without having to lift it. 14 gallons of gasoline, plus the weight of the container, is about 100 awkward pounds.

Last Edit: by 6104696.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 10 Apr 2017 12:57 #30

• pepperjack
  • pepperjack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
We did two trips this past weekend and still have about 6.5 gallons left in the stock 12 gallon tank. The first day was several hours of the first part of the motor break-in. Second trip was just going back and forth a few miles away to a beach nearby. Since we are not going to be keeping the boat in our slip yet, I am going to leave the tank in and fill it when needed at the gas station 1.5 miles from our house. Has 90 oct marine gas. The public ramp is 1 mile from our house. It was very easy.

2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 10 Apr 2017 15:08 #31

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner

6104696 wrote: I keep a few feet of metal chain in the truck; nothing fancy. Before filling up, I wrap one end of the chain once or twice around the handle of the fuel container. the other end then is dropped to the ground. in theory, any static electricity from the container is thus discharged....same as placing the fuel container on the ground but without having to lift it. 14 gallons of gasoline, plus the weight of the container, is about 100 awkward pounds.

I'm assuming that you are referring to a metal tank. I wouldn't think a plastic tank would create any sparks.
I keep my 12gal. tank fixed to the boat and top it up when I return to my dock using a plastic funnel and a plastic portable gas tank.
I also keep a smaller plastic gas tank, on board, under the port side seat in case I should ever run dry while out on the lake. Hasn't happened yet, but you never know.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 10 Apr 2017 15:32 #32

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 606

oakplank wrote: I'm assuming that you are referring to a metal tank. I wouldn't think a plastic tank would create any sparks.

Plastic tanks can generate static electricity and a spark from this can ignite fuel vapors. Here's a good article: www.boatus.org/clean-boating/fueling/tips/

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 10 Apr 2017 16:41 #33

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner

Norton Rider wrote:

oakplank wrote: I'm assuming that you are referring to a metal tank. I wouldn't think a plastic tank would create any sparks.

Plastic tanks can generate static electricity and a spark from this can ignite fuel vapors. Here's a good article: www.boatus.org/clean-boating/fueling/tips/

Thanks. Interesting article. I can, maybe, understand, that a spark can occur when filling a plastic container while using the metal gas pump nozzle. However, when transferring the gas from a plastic container, using a plastic funnel, into a second plastic container? Not sure where the spark would come from. Rub two pieces of plastic together all you want and you won't be able to create a spark. If you cut the wire to, say your stern lite, and attach a piece of plastic between the wires, I'm sure your light will not turn on. The electricity will not go from the first wire, through the plastic, unto the second wire.
Please understand, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just not understanding how a spark (electricity) can travel through plastic. Please help me understand how this can be.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 10 Apr 2017 19:20 #34

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 122

oakplank wrote: Why not just fill a portable gas tank at your local gas station, then fill your boat tank from within the boat. You will need to do this a couple of time to completely fill the boat tank for the first time. However, afterwards you just keep topping up the boat tank as need. The price per gallon will be quite a bit cheaper than purchasing it at the marina. You'll have more money to buy more gas to enjoy your boat more often on the water? I use a 6 gal portable tank. Make sure you use the largest funnel you can find. Mine is about 18"in diameter.

I do this with my 185....26 gallon tank. I top it off before putting in the water fro the season and then simply top it off with 6 gallon gas cans....usually never let it get below 5/8 full before adding gas...as mentioned, use a large mouth funnel...too much work otherwise not to mention the premium cost of filling at a marina...

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 10 Apr 2017 21:30 #35

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 606

oakplank wrote:

Norton Rider wrote:

Thanks. Interesting article. I can, maybe, understand, that a spark can occur when filling a plastic container while using the metal gas pump nozzle. However, when transferring the gas from a plastic container, using a plastic funnel, into a second plastic container? Not sure where the spark would come from. Rub two pieces of plastic together all you want and you won't be able to create a spark. If you cut the wire to, say your stern lite, and attach a piece of plastic between the wires, I'm sure your light will not turn on. The electricity will not go from the first wire, through the plastic, unto the second wire.
Please understand, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just not understanding how a spark (electricity) can travel through plastic. Please help me understand how this can be.

Conductivity and the ability to generate static electricity are different things. Non-conductive materials like plastics can definitely generate static electricity. Here's a good article: www.school-for-champions.com/science/static_materials.htm .

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 10 Apr 2017 23:11 #36

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
Norton Rider, I now better understand what you are saying. What comes to mind is the old wool carpet that charged people when they walked on them and shocked who ever they touched in the room.
Although, I still think it's pretty safe to fill my boat's plastic tank from a plastic portable tank. I have been filling my lawn mowers with portable tanks all my life without grounding them, with no issues. Many, many, many people do this.
However, I now get your point.
Thanks.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 15 Apr 2017 14:20 #37

• danco_2
  • Jose
  • Thank you received: 0
I have had a lot of luck with a shoreline marine siphon hose to transfer fuel from multiple gas cans without any spills and both cans are sitting on the. Boat so no grounding issues. Sure can makes a portable can that will fit uder seats and has a swing down spout if you want an extra 2 to 5 gallons for emergency fuel.

Retired Navy
2015 Element 16 with 75hp Mercury
Near Douglas Lake
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds