Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 16:14 #1

• pepperjack
  • pepperjack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello, new to the forum and I am hoping to get some tips on how to conveniently refill the portable 12 gal tank on the e16 that is stored on a slip with a lift. I have an assigned slip (no lift yet) for my townhouse in Gulf Breeze that will fit smaller boats like the Element series. We have narrowed our choices down to the e16 due to size, etc. We plan to leave it on the lift when not in use, but be able to go down and drop it in the sound for some tubing or run over to the beach for the day. The problem I face now is I was told I cannot Jerry can fuel down to the slip and fill the tank while in the slip. Taking it out of the water to fuel it every time is not going to be feasible nor is going to the marina miles away. So my only choice is going to be to remove the tank, carry to shore and refuel and then carry a full 12 gallon tank back and reinstall. That tank has got to be very heavy while lowering into position.... I'm guessing it's going to be better to replace it with two 6 gallon slim tanks stacked one on top of the other. Tie them together with a value or selector switch. Are those EPA connectors designed to hold up to being disconnected and reconnected all the time?

What would you do short of sneaking down at 2am? ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 16:45 #2

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 612
I cannot comment on the specifics of the E16, but here are some thoughts:

Gasoline weighs 6.2-6.3 Lb./Gal. A 12 Gal. tank, weighing 80 Lb. total, will be hard to lower and muscle in place. As you suggested, you may be better off with a couple of 6 Gal. tanks at 40 Lb. each.

The fuel line connectors on the tanks will definitely hold up to being disconnected and connected often. Sometimes they get a bit sticky; a bit of spray lube solves this. Rather than having the complication of a selector valve, consider simply switching the hose from one tank to another. I have this setup in my Boston Whaler with a 6 Gal. and a 3 Gal. tank; it works fine. If the tank fittings are hard to get to, make a short fuel line for each tank with a quick disconnect at one end. Route both lines to a location where it is easy to connect the line to the main fuel line. If you stack the tanks on top of each other, you may need to support the upper tank away from the lower tank, so it will allow the lower tank cap vent to operate.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 16:56 #3

• pepperjack
Thanks for the response. I agree that keeping it simple would be the way to go. I honestly think that a single 6 gal tank would work for us 75% of the time and the second tank could be filled if we are planning a longer day. I am trying to locate the dimensions of the fuel compartment on the 2017 e16 such that I can find two 5-6 gallon tanks that can just lay end to end.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 17:35 #4

• Norton Rider
  • Away

pepperjack wrote: Thanks for the response. I agree that keeping it simple would be the way to go. I honestly think that a single 6 gal tank would work for us 75% of the time and the second tank could be filled if we are planning a longer day. I am trying to locate the dimensions of the fuel compartment on the 2017 e16 such that I can find two 5-6 gallon tanks that can just lay end to end.

The test below shows a fuel economy of 7+ NM/Gal. for an E16 with the standard 60 HP Mercury, at the most economical cruising speed (3500 RPM). If you are not towing skiers or tubers, this gives you a 40 nautical mile range with a 6 gallon tank. Maybe you can set it up like my Boston Whaler and use a 6 Gal. and a 3 Gal. tank. That would give you a total of 60 NM and the 3 Gal. tank can be used as the reserve tank.

www.boatingmag.com/boats/bayliner-element

Anacortes, WA

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 17:42 #5

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
I can confirm. The 12 gallon tank is indeed heavy to carry around full. It is also not very easy to smoothly lower into the Elements fuel compartment.

Watch your hands!

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 18:49 #6

• pepperjack
It indeed looks like a tight fit in the compartment. I like the 6 + 3 idea. We will be getting the e16 with the 75hp, but I still think it will work for the short 1-3 hour play sessions we will have on the ICW sound area in front of us.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 21:31 #7

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
What about using one of those fuel caddy wheeled fuel totes? Will they allow those for filling your tank off the dock? That would be an easy way to take care of it and leave your own tank in the boat, IF they don't forbid that. How in the world do they expect you to gas the thing up anyways????????? :angry:

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 21:48 #8

• pepperjack
I don't recall if the newer models have an hour gauge or not. Do you still have to add your own?

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 21:50 #9

• pepperjack

driz wrote: What about using one of those fuel caddy wheeled fuel totes? Will they allow those for filling your tank off the dock? That would be an easy way to take care of it and leave your own tank in the boat, IF they don't forbid that. How in the world do they expect you to gas the thing up anyways????????? :angry:

That was my question to the dock master. There is something about the permitting and the state that you cannot fuel at the dock. My guess would be there is no way to mitigate spills like they have at the marina.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 22:22 #10

• pepperjack
I think I am just going to install the VesselView Mobile sender unit and just use my iPhone for monitoring hours and tech, eco, service data. Way cool.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Feb 2017 23:05 #11

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92
Another suggestion would be to install one six gallon tank under the port side seat, just across from the captain's seat. Run a fuel line back to the 12 gal tank area with a quick connection to the fuel line. That way you use the 6 gal tank as your principal tank (easy to remove and fill) and you use the original 12 gal as a back-up for longer trips.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 03:27 #12

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 52

pepperjack wrote:

driz wrote: What about using one of those fuel caddy wheeled fuel totes? Will they allow those for filling your tank off the dock? That would be an easy way to take care of it and leave your own tank in the boat, IF they don't forbid that. How in the world do they expect you to gas the thing up anyways????????? :angry:

That was my question to the dock master. There is something about the permitting and the state that you cannot fuel at the dock. My guess would be there is no way to mitigate spills like they have at the marina.

Do they sell fuel at the marina? My guess would be that they want you to buy fuel from them, not somebody else.....and/or perhaps a liability concern. I would be surprised if there was a state reg. against fueling yourself. But...different strokes in different states, I guess.

Last Edit: by 6104696.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 11:55 #13

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34

pepperjack wrote: I think I am just going to install the VesselView Mobile sender unit and just use my iPhone for monitoring hours and tech, eco, service data. Way cool.

Is that a pretty straight forward plug in?

Are there any fees associated with the apps needed?

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 12:52 #14

• pepperjack

TigerBoat wrote: Is that a pretty straight forward plug in?

Are there any fees associated with the apps needed?

From what I have seen so far researching it, you purchase the harness and sender unit (Bluetooth wireless) on the motor with a simple connection and secure the sender somewhere safe under the cover. The app for your phone is free and there is a website where you can track your boat(s). This smart system is already in your motor and is keeping track of things, so you can tap into it too. Something like 50 different data points and the NEMA2000 network can also connect to a Loran/GPS screen. There are some videos on Youtube demonstrating a guy controlling the speed of his outboard on a bass boat from the fish finder screen. Cool stuff for sure.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 12:58 #15

• pepperjack

6104696 wrote: Do they sell fuel at the marina? My guess would be that they want you to buy fuel from them, not somebody else.....and/or perhaps a liability concern. I would be surprised if there was a state reg. against fueling yourself. But...different strokes in different states, I guess.

So our slips are not a Marina per say, simply a private dock with water and power for lifts, etc. No fuel. He said we are not permitted to be able to physically transfer fuel from one container to another on the dock. I assume then that I can refill my element tank just off the dock at the end of the parking lot and then tote it back into the boat.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 16:25 #16

• Jpray72
  • Thank you received: 4
You could take your portable fuel tanks down to the dock push off around from the dock fill the tank and then come back to the dock. That way you didn't fill the tank while docked.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 16:47 #17

• pepperjack

Jpray72 wrote: You could take your portable fuel tanks down to the dock push off around from the dock fill the tank and then come back to the dock. That way you didn't fill the tank while docked.

Yes, this was also discussed as an option, but we would be responsible for any overboard spills.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 17:39 #18

• Norton Rider
  • Away

pepperjack wrote:

Jpray72 wrote: You could take your portable fuel tanks down to the dock push off around from the dock fill the tank and then come back to the dock. That way you didn't fill the tank while docked.

Yes, this was also discussed as an option, but we would be responsible for any overboard spills.

The issue is usually related to insurance requirements and possibly local fire safety rules. For example, my marina does not have fuel. Refueling tanks from jerry cans is not allowed for two reasons: 1- The marina insurance policy specifically prohibits it. 2- The local fire marshal prohibits it for gasoline only. As a result the marina has a blanket rule not allowing any refueling from jerry cans. The marina has one exception that is approved: refueling diesel from a truck that periodically comes to the place. This exception is approved by the fire marshal and the insurance company. Any boat owners wanting to take advantage of this must use fuel vent catch bottles or permanently installed fuel vent backflow preventers.

Anacortes, WA

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 17:46 #19

• metz123
  • Thank you received: 13
The area where the portable 12g tank sits in the element is a sealed space so fuel spills don't run into the boat and into the bilge. Putting a tank in any other compartment in the element doesn't have this safety / environmental feature.

In my Element XL I have a 12g tank and an additional 6g one. The 6g one is moderately heavy to lug around when full. The 12g is a bear. Personally I'd bring a jerry can back and forth and refuel on the water. If you spill a little while fueling the compartment will hold it, you can mop up the spill and put the rags in a sealed container to deal with on shore.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 18:34 #20

• Jpray72
  • Thank you received: 4
The marina I go to spills gas all the time when fueling boats. They just squirt diluted dish detergent from a spray bottle on the surface of the water where they see the spill slick.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 18:47 #21

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 52
I have several of the 14 gallon "Flo n' Go" fuel caddies (and some 5 gallon Blitz cans) that I use to fuel my boats at my private pier. When full, those 14 gallon cans are a biatch to move around. I use ramps to roll them down from the back of the SUV (I use a grounding chain when filling them at a gas station)...but I could not imagine trying to do anything with that 12 gallon element tank except fill it in place....for you it would be either at a gas dock or perhaps the 2 am jerry can option :-)

Last Edit: by 6104696.

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 07 Feb 2017 21:30 #22

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Jpray72 wrote: The marina I go to spills gas all the time when fueling boats. They just squirt diluted dish detergent from a spray bottle on the surface of the water where they see the spill slick.

Here is a quote from this site: www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/clean_boating.htm

"The Clean Water Act (33 CFR 153.305) also prohibits the use of soaps or other dispersing agents to dissipate oil on the water or in the bilge without the permission of the Coast Guard. Soaps, emulsifiers and dispersants cause the petroleum to sink in the water column and mix with sediments where they will remain for years. Also, the soaps themselves are pollutants. You may be fined up to $25,000 per incident for the unauthorized use of soap or other dispersing agents on the water or in the bilge."

Anacortes, WA

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Apr 2017 18:55 #23

• pepperjack
Quick question for you guys. I'm going out for the first time in the boat (after the test drive) and I need to get fuel into it before we launch. The Chevron that is 1 mile from the ramp has 90 oct ethanol free marine fuel. I was planning on just driving there first and fill the tank while still in the boat at the pump. Any issues with this? mainly leaving the tank in the boat without removing it and putting down on the concrete first. I may be over thinking this, but I also don't want to cause an issue or accident. How would a marina dissipate the static charge by handing you the pump to fill the plastic tank with no metal lip to dissipate?

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Apr 2017 19:06 #24

• Bill245sb
  • Thank you received: 3
Could you use a dolly to bring it to the boat and rig up a rope and pully system from one of the dock pylons to lower it in?

Element E16 Gas Tank Removal for Refueling 06 Apr 2017 19:14 #25

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64

Jpray72 wrote: The marina I go to spills gas all the time when fueling boats. They just squirt diluted dish detergent from a spray bottle on the surface of the water where they see the spill slick.

Yep the Marina I go to spill gas every time. The the tank is full it spits out on the boats and into the water. They just spray you boat and the area int he water with a hose not that that does anything,

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds