Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need prop recommendation for Element

Need prop recommendation for Element 19 Jul 2016 03:22 #1

• freeformed
  • freeformed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am replacing a damaged prop on my 2013 60hp Mercury Big Foot.

I've tried finding out the best prop based on a couple other threads but I am not confident I've identified the replacement.

I believe I want to put a 4 Blade Spitfire on, and found this: Mercury Spitfire 4-Blade Aluminum Pontoon Propeller Prop 13.8 x 11P

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EA5FZ4M/r...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is that the correct size and desired pitch? I am looking more for acceleration and getting it to plane when pulling a tube with a few kids on it. Top speed isn't a terrible concern for me. Is stainless steel preferred over aluminum?

Thanks for all the help, I'm somewhat new at owning a boat, but not being on a boat. I'm finding out it's a whole 'nother ball game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by freeformed.

Need prop recommendation for Element 19 Jul 2016 19:59 #2

• michieas
  • Thank you received: 2
I would advise you to take the 13.8x13 spitfire. Better hole shot but you keep a better top speed. From what I read on the forum here you will lose 4mph with the 11p.
I have the 13 with smart tabs and that works perfect (if my engine is not failing....)

Need prop recommendation for Element 28 Jul 2016 19:03 #3

• Pichy
  • Thank you received: 1
I went with a Nemesis 13.8 x 11P, and absolutely love it. Made a huge difference. Next I will install smart tabs to deal with porpoising. This is my brief write up from a different thread last year (search for "Element Spare Prop" from July 30, 2015) when I posted the same question you did:

"Here's a follow up to my previous question. I ended up ordering a Nemesis 13.8 x 11P four blade aluminum prop for my 60 hp Bigfoot/Element combination. This prop did not require the FloTorq hub kit for my motor. Apparently it is required for 75 hp or higher.

As I said before, I was looking for better hole shot, even if top end speed was compromised. I took it for a run last night. I also switched back to the original prop right after as a comparison. I had two of my sons with me (40 lbs and 60 lbs), and I'm 175 lbs. Bigger son was up front on the bow seats. Younger was in the seat near me across to my left. I had a third of a tank of gas, and not much else. Conditions were very calm, with occasional small wakes from jet skis. Here's what I found.

Original prop (three blade 14" x 13P aluminum): Hole shot time averaged 7.7 seconds, with a top speed of 30.3 mph by GPS. When decelerating, boat goes off plane around 15 mph.

New Nemesis (four blade 13.8" x 11P aluminum): Hole shot averaged 3.6 seconds, with a top speed of 26.6 mph by GPS. When decelerating, boat goes off plane around 11 mph.

Handling with the Nemesis is improved on turns, but one time there was a thunk and it seemed for a second like the old days when I'd break a shear pin as a kid. I shut down and checked everything out, knowing I was in deep water and didn't hit anything. Not sure if I exceeded recommended RPM and triggered the rev limiter, or what happened. Everything seemed fine, so I tried again, but couldn't get it to repeat. Overall, I am very impressed with the out-of-the hole time. Losing four mph at the top end is not a big deal, since my wife prefers to cruise around twenty anyway. I may repeat the test with all six of us just to see how it is under heavy load."

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds