Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kicker motor for a 2007 Bayliner 185

Kicker motor for a 2007 Bayliner 185 02 Jun 2015 09:12 #1

• Skyloran
  • Skyloran's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone installed a kicker motor on their 185 Bayliner? If so I would really appreciate some details of how it was mounted, if a long shaft was long enought, HP of the motor and pictures if at all possible. I want the use the kicker motor as a backup when I go fishing near the San Juan Islands. Thanks ahead of time for you help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kicker motor for a 2007 Bayliner 185 21 Jun 2015 06:51 #2

• Skyloran
After talking with the manager of our local marina I decided to order a 7 hp 4 stroke with an EXTRA long shaft and will plan on mounting it off my swim step using a simple bracket. According to the manager he saw another Bayliner owner with the same type boat use this configuration. Wish me luck.

Kicker motor for a 2007 Bayliner 185 15 Mar 2016 17:49 #3

• mymannin
I'm looking at swim step brackets as well for my 175. How did it go mounting yours? what bracket did you use? Thanks!!

Kicker motor for a 2007 Bayliner 185 10 Apr 2017 02:41 #4

• Skyloran
Sorry I am so late in posting this. I did purchase a 6 hp Japanese boat motor (sorry but I cannot remember the name offhand) with the longest shaft I could find. It starts right up with no problem.
I now have had a bit of experience with it. I ended up mounting it as close to the inboard/outboard drive as I coud so it would be near the center line. I carefully checked my clearances on both outdrives by swinging them fully left and right. In the water the 6 hp seems to do okay in moving the boat forward and back but with some tendency to yaw the boat which would be expected. I mounted the 6 hp engine not on the swim step as I originally thought but rather on the same flat area the swim step is mounted on but on the opposite side of the main engine outdrive so I didn't have to give up the swim step. I ended up using an aluminum L bracket that I purchased on line and bolted the bracket to the top of the flat area I described above. The bolts basically came down inboard of my battery area.
The only think I am not entirely please about is if one is in a situation with lots of waves it seems like the prop could come out of the water, however, since I am steering the motor from the rear seat that tends to keep the prop further in the water. I would have felt better if I had a few more inches on the shaft. The other good think about the outboard motor I ordered is that it comes with a alternator so one can change the main battery. My understanding these motors with the long shaft are often used on sailboats so they want the alternator or recharging. When I uncover my boat in a few weeks for the new season I wil try to update the engine brand. Cheers

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds