Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Element auxiliary fuel tank

Element auxiliary fuel tank 15 Apr 2017 11:08 #76

• Banana Slug
  • Banana Slug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 22
Thanks jasper. I was able to get to my boat and measure. The fuel storage is exactly 18" wide. The tank I found won't work.

Now I'm seriously considering the permanent 27 gallon method.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

~Joe
2015 Element XL
Mercury 115

Element auxiliary fuel tank 15 Apr 2017 11:36 #77

• RobMick
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 122

6104696 wrote: Nice looking install. I too am a bit concerned that the 18 gallons won't be enough for a long day out on an XL with the 115 (which I pick up tomorrow). My current plan is to bring a 5 gallon jug with me for the long days, as an emergency reserve. For years we had a bayliner 175 with the mercruiser 135hp (3 liter) I/O (carbed) and a 21 gallon tank. We never had a problem running low on fuel. I am presuming that the fuel burn on the 115 will be comparable....so we'll see how it goes

We currently have a 185 with the 3.0 and can run all day and burn thru 1/2 of the 26 gals on board. Do these new outboards "really" drink that much gas?

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Element auxiliary fuel tank 17 Apr 2017 21:24 #78

• Banana Slug
Chopper, I got a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

I got my tank delivered today. Same 27 gallon you used. On the fill pipe, looks like you used a 90 degree elbow coupled to a straight run. Did you use a second 90 degree elbow to transition to the filler neck?

Also, did you install an inlet check valve? Like this from perko
www.perkofuelsystems.com/components/inlet_check_valves/

~Joe
2015 Element XL
Mercury 115

Element auxiliary fuel tank 18 Apr 2017 18:11 #79

• Pegasus_01
  • Thank you received: 17
That's it. The parts were ordered last week and have just arrived. I'll be working on fitting that new system this weekend.
Will take a few pics of how I've done the modification and posting it here next week.
Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Nick

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
Geneva, Switzerland

Element auxiliary fuel tank 18 Apr 2017 21:19 #80

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 52

RobMick wrote:

6104696 wrote: Nice looking install. I too am a bit concerned that the 18 gallons won't be enough for a long day out on an XL with the 115 (which I pick up tomorrow). My current plan is to bring a 5 gallon jug with me for the long days, as an emergency reserve. For years we had a bayliner 175 with the mercruiser 135hp (3 liter) I/O (carbed) and a 21 gallon tank. We never had a problem running low on fuel. I am presuming that the fuel burn on the 115 will be comparable....so we'll see how it goes

We currently have a 185 with the 3.0 and can run all day and burn thru 1/2 of the 26 gals on board. Do these new outboards "really" drink that much gas?

I'll have a better answer on the Bayliner in a few months. I only have a few hours on the Element with the 115 and fuel burn seems to be slightly less than our 3.0 I/0, which burned 3-4 GPH on average. Of course skiing and other heavy loads upped that number quite a bit, but I am still in the break-in period......

Our V6 Yamaha 300 OB, pushing a loaded 6000+ pound deep V, will burn about 12 GPH at a 30 mph cruise, and 25 GPH at WOT.....

Element auxiliary fuel tank 22 Apr 2017 17:42 #81

• ChopperXL
  • Thank you received: 2

Banana Slug wrote: Chopper, I got a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

I got my tank delivered today. Same 27 gallon you used. On the fill pipe, looks like you used a 90 degree elbow coupled to a straight run. Did you use a second 90 degree elbow to transition to the filler neck?

Also, did you install an inlet check valve? Like this from perko
www.perkofuelsystems.com/components/inlet_check_valves/

Yes, I used a 90-degree elbow and coupler to make the tank work. If I had it to do all over again I would use this tank www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details...x-16W-x-12H&i=961379 as it already has a 90-degree inlet. It's $100 more but after purchasing the elbow and coupler for $40 total, the extra cost would be worth it in my opinion.

I used a vent surge protector that I don't think was really necessary but not an inlet surge protector-- I was just careful when filling and payed attention to the number of gallons.

BTW, I ran through two full tanks over spring break with my setup and not a single issue. However, when the tank was completely full I did have to be a little more cognisant of weight distribution.

Last Edit: by ChopperXL.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 22 Apr 2017 17:56 #82

• ChopperXL
  • Thank you received: 2

RobMick wrote:

We primarily boat on Lake Mohave for a week or more at a time and rent a slip; we put it in once and take it out once. Therefore, the less I have to fill up with dock gas the better! I can get gas down the road in AZ for $1.5 while paying near $4 at the dock. I also tend to run in the 30-35mph range which burn gas much faster. However, I would estimate the burn at 8-9 gph. Boating Magazine has a graphic for reference that seems pretty accurate to what we get out of our 115 with about 450lbs of passenger and another 200lbs(ish) of gear.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by ChopperXL.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 24 Apr 2017 21:00 #83

• Pegasus_01
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi All,

So here we go. The tank modification is finished. No more flimsy 12 + 6 gal situation. We now have a proper 25 gal fixed tank. Just like the big boys... :woohoo: I feel sooo grown up now.... :lol:

The fit it perfect. Couldn't be any larger on either sides. The hardest part was managing to fit the 2'' filling pipe and finding a way to bend it upwards. I actually had to cut it and use a 90° elbow behind the partition wall. Otherwise, piece of cake.

I decided to position the filling cap here for 2 reasons:
1. Below the other side was a very large foam insert that basically blocked the passage and I just couldn't put my mind around cutting it to make room.
2. In this position it's actually much easier to fill as you don't have to bend towards the outside or stand on the cushion. You can just stand inside the Element and use the sports tower as a grab handle.

I used a scoop vent with flame arrestor and positioned it down and out of the boat. There should not be any risk of spilling as the bottom of the filling gun nozzle with the overfill detector is theoretically positioned about 5 inches below the vent exit hole. The good thing is that there is virtually no way any water can get in (unless you voluntarily aim the hose at it...)

The analog gauge fits nicely on the helm. I even managed to change the white bulb to a blue LED to match the rest of the lighting

All in all, I'm very satisfied with this modification. Really looking forward to testing the comfort of this setup.

The other thing I finished was the installation of the new light switches:

They definitely fit in very well with the rest.

Now it's water time! She's going back in next weekend. I'll put up some feedback on the tank operation.

Nick

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mattieb, DanWWW

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
Geneva, Switzerland

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Apr 2017 18:20 #84

• Banana Slug
Did anyone else have to remove the foam from behind the access panel in order to run the fill and vent hoses? Damn that's a lot of foam. Very deceiving. I'll have to see if removing it affects how it sits in the water. I can always figure a way to put some back in.

This message has an attachment image.

~Joe
2015 Element XL
Mercury 115
Last Edit: by Banana Slug.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 30 Apr 2017 22:19 #85

• Banana Slug
Permanent 27 gallon fuel tank is in and working great. Didn't get a chance to install a dash mounted fuel gauge yet. That'll have to wait a bit. I used a Perko fuel fill with integrated vent instead of having a separate vent sticking out somewhere. There's also a small kink in the vent line that I have to address. I've got a 90 degree elbow on order.

This message has attachments images.

~Joe
2015 Element XL
Mercury 115
Last Edit: by Banana Slug.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 01 May 2017 00:42 #86

• mrjeff
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 5

Banana Slug wrote: Permanent 27 gallon fuel tank is in and working great. Didn't get a chance to install a dash mounted fuel gauge yet. That'll have to wait a bit. I used a Perko fuel fill with integrated vent instead of having a separate vent sticking out somewhere. There's also a small kink in the vent line that I have to address. I've got a 90 degree elbow on order.

looks great! I really have to do this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanWWW

Element auxiliary fuel tank 04 May 2017 20:55 #87

• DanWWW
  • Thank you received: 0
ChopperXL, Banana Slug, Pegasus01 and all others - thanks for the great help on retrofitting the Element XL fuel tank(s). I am putting together my own retrofit. So I am paying attention. ChopperXL, you said you would do-over with the Scepter 27 gallon. But the top of the metal 90-degree elbow is 15.06 inches according to the American-Kart specification diagram. My Element E18 (2017) under seat height tops out at 14 3/4 inches. I don't think there is enough room for the 27 gallon Scepter tank. I called Ameri-Kart and Scepter - no help - they don't offer a different 90 degree elbow fill flange or a shorter replacement straight fill flange on top of the 27 gallon tank. Customer service said 'try Moeller.' Okay. ChopperXL, I think you did the better fit with the Moeller.

Request: I would like to know you maximum height of tank plus the 90 elbow.
Question: did you trim down the molded tank fill spout?
Question 2: anything else we need to know about fitting the Moeller tank in? Did it just drop in to the seat space - or was it a cuss fit?

Here's my rationale on retrofitting to a permanent fuel tank, in order: 1) I really think a dash mount fuel gauge is nice and helpful. Otherwise, I am fairly sure my family will run out of gas (they will run out of gas with the dash mount fuel gauge, but... I tried.) 2) A top deck mount filler cap & neck - I think it's good to get the gas pump handle away from inside the boat. 3) One tank and increased capacity.

Again, thanks for all the helpful info. Any additional parts links are appreciated. And any comments about how you'd do it different are appreciated.

Attachment not found

Last Edit: by DanWWW.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 04 May 2017 21:33 #88

• Banana Slug

DanWWW wrote: ChopperXL, Banana Slug, Pegasus01 and all others - thanks for the great help on retrofitting the Element XL fuel tank(s). I am putting together my own retrofit. So I am paying attention. ChopperXL, you said you would do-over with the Scepter 27 gallon. But the top of the metal 90-degree elbow in 15.06 inches according to the American-Kart specification diagram. My Element E18 (2017) under seat height tops out at 14 3/4 inches. I don't think there is enough room for the 27 gallon Scepter tank. I called Ameri-Kart and Scepter - no help - they don't offer a different 90 degree elbow fill flange or a shorter replacement straight fill flange on top of the 27 gallon tank. Customer service said 'try Moeller.' Okay. ChopperXL, I think you did the better fit with the Moeller.

Request: I would like to know you maximum height of tank plus the 90 elbow.
Question: did you trim down the molded tank fill spout?
Question 2: anything else we need to know about fitting the Moeller tank in? Did it just drop in to the seat space - or was it a cuss fit?

Here's my rationale on retrofitting to a permanent fuel tank, in order: 1) I really think a dash mount fuel gauge is nice and helpful. Otherwise, I am fairly sure my family will run out of gas (they will run out of gas with the dash mount fuel gauge, but... I tried.) 2) A top deck mount filler cap & neck - I think it's good to get the gas pump handle away from inside the boat. 3) One tank and increased capacity.

Again, thanks for all the helpful info. Any additional parts links are appreciated. And any comments about how you'd do it different are appreciated.

Attachment not found

I can with some questions.
1. The seat height is the 16" mark. There is room for the tank that Chopper linked to.
2. I cut off 1" from the molded fill. Still plenty of fill to put a few clamps on the hose.
3. Not that you asked, but I used ultra flexible fuel filler hose so that I didn't have to use a molded 90 and then use a coupler. In the end it was less expensive to use the flex pipe.
4. Get the fuel fill hose to run as straight as you can from the deck fill to the tank. The 90 degree turn at the tank causes the fuel to back up into the hose and spill if you go too fast. Took me 15 minutes to slowly fill the tank because of the splash back issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanWWW

~Joe
2015 Element XL
Mercury 115
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds