Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Element auxiliary fuel tank

Element auxiliary fuel tank 30 Nov 2016 18:39 #51

• TommyJodi
  • Thank you received: 31
I'm curious to see how you do this.

Tom

Pegasus_01 wrote: Well all this questioning of a second 6 or 12 gal tank has made me decide to go down the real McCoy route. I've got the 12 + 6 but that's just not enough. I can't stand having to lift the seat every time I'm wondering where we stand on gas level or, worse even, when I have to fill up.
So, I've decided to change the entire system and get rid of both those flimsy tanks. Instead and in place of them, I'm going to fit a 25 gal closed tank with an external filling port and a proper fuel level indicator and gauge on the dash. Total cost about $150 but that will definitely solve all these annoying issues.

If anyone is interested I'll show some pics of the parts I've planned on using.

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2015 Bayliner 160 Element 75 HP, Smart tabs, Tach, Lowrance Elite-5 HDI.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 30 Nov 2016 18:46 #52

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
No fuel gauge on these babies? :ohmy:

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Element auxiliary fuel tank 30 Nov 2016 19:58 #53

• metz123
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 13
I've never found anyone that can document putting an external wired fuel gauge on the new EPA sealed plastic tanks. If someone can point me at an example I'd love to see it. I think the only route is to get rid of the plastic tanks and go with a non sealed alternative.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 30 Nov 2016 20:34 #54

• Pegasus_01
  • Thank you received: 17

Ruffryder wrote: No fuel gauge on these babies? :ohmy:

Nope. And that's a real annoying thing.

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
Geneva, Switzerland

Element auxiliary fuel tank 30 Nov 2016 20:49 #55

• Pegasus_01

TommyJodi wrote: I'm curious to see how you do this.

Tom

Pegasus_01 wrote: Well all this questioning of a second 6 or 12 gal tank has made me decide to go down the real McCoy route. I've got the 12 + 6 but that's just not enough. I can't stand having to lift the seat every time I'm wondering where we stand on gas level or, worse even, when I have to fill up.
So, I've decided to change the entire system and get rid of both those flimsy tanks. Instead and in place of them, I'm going to fit a 25 gal closed tank with an external filling port and a proper fuel level indicator and gauge on the dash. Total cost about $150 but that will definitely solve all these annoying issues.

If anyone is interested I'll show some pics of the parts I've planned on using.

Nick

Well Tom I've looked into it properly and the available space is largely sufficient to accommodate a 25 gal fixed tank. It needs to be properly tied down and i may even hold it in place with some liquid foam. The gauge is standard and is only a question of pulling a couple of wires. And as for the filling spout, as long as the tank doesn't go over a certain height in the fuel well, you can pull the right size fuel filling pipe basically anywhere that suits on the top outside hull as the entire space is hollow underneath. I've checked and rechecked it and I don't see it being a problem.
I'm planning on taking on the project sometime over the winter. If you're interested I'll put some pics up.

Nick

Geneva, Switzerland

Element auxiliary fuel tank 01 Dec 2016 02:52 #56

• mrjeff
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm curious also, especially for $150.00.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 01 Dec 2016 18:32 #57

• blackmax175
  • Thank you received: 1
You have another interested person in the internal gas tank idea for the element..

keep us updated

Element auxiliary fuel tank 05 Dec 2016 02:04 #58

• Element16
I am interested also.I have the 16 footer. Thanks,Ken

Element auxiliary fuel tank 05 Dec 2016 18:43 #59

• sncc3
  • Thank you received: 10
Looking forward to what you come up with Nick.

2014 Boston Whaler 130 Sport
2017 Bayliner Element 75hp (with may more into it than I should admit & the list is growing ;))

In beautiful central Florida.
Wife & I are always available weekends for exploring our beautiful water ways.
Shoot me a message if would like to plan a meet-up :)

Element auxiliary fuel tank 14 Dec 2016 23:44 #60

• tonyglock40
Nick I'm interested... Thank You look forward to your pics

Element auxiliary fuel tank 15 Dec 2016 17:02 #61

• Pegasus_01
Will do, Tony. But the weather being as crass as it is at the moment (we haven't seen the sun for about 2 weeks because of stagnating high pressure causing fog) and the festive season arriving, I'm not going to attack that project before early March. These are the parts I'm getting for the project.

Nick

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Geneva, Switzerland
Last Edit: by Pegasus_01.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 19 Dec 2016 00:57 #62

• tonyglock40
Thank you. Look foreword to seeing it done... have a great Christmas

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Mar 2017 02:09 #63

• ChopperXL
  • Thank you received: 2
I have successfully installed a permanent gas tank into my Element XL. the install includes a 27-gallon tank and a dash mounted gas gauge. I have included pictures of the final product and I am working on a write-up for those of you that may want to undertake this project. The project ran about $500 but could be done for less depending on parts selected. I went with what I liked, regardless of price. I felt that my satisfaction with the install was more important than saving $100.

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pegasus_01, Jackthenipper

Last Edit: by ChopperXL.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Mar 2017 06:49 #64

• westkal
  • Thank you received: 18
Looks good
If the 1/2 looking hose up from the fill inlet to the tank is a breather, you might have trouble filling the tank. The breather must go from the top of the tank and continue vertically upwards to the breather vent.
If possible, but not always possible, you want the hose to go up higher than the vent and then dip down to the breather to keep water out of the breather. When washing the boat with a pressure washer.

If you have a lower loop in the breather, it will fill with fuel and when you are filling the tank, the fuel will spit back as it cannot breathe properly

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Mar 2017 14:09 #65

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Nice looking install. I too am a bit concerned that the 18 gallons won't be enough for a long day out on an XL with the 115 (which I pick up tomorrow). My current plan is to bring a 5 gallon jug with me for the long days, as an emergency reserve. For years we had a bayliner 175 with the mercruiser 135hp (3 liter) I/O (carbed) and a 21 gallon tank. We never had a problem running low on fuel. I am presuming that the fuel burn on the 115 will be comparable....so we'll see how it goes

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Mar 2017 20:11 #66

• metz123
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 13
let us know how it feels on the water with a full tank. I'm concerned about listing to the left with the weight of 27 gallons over 1 side of the boat. I think the center console version of the Element has the permanent tank mounted directly in the center of the hull for just this reason. My calculations estimate this as around 170 pounds.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Mar 2017 20:36 #67

• Pegasus_01
You beat me to it Chopper! Well done mate. That looks a million dollars. I think I might also go for the more expensive look instead of the lowest cost. Especially now that I've put some cool lights inside (see the pics in the Element mods post).
The vent is indeed one of the problems I have been toying with. Your positioning of it below where the mini tower goes looks good but how are you going to tackle watertightness? I was more thinking of having the vent go from the spout up along the main hose into the hull and then back down towards the outboard platform and then sticking out through the hull with a small cover / protection with the opening facing down.

Any view on that?

Excellent work though. Full marks!

Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChopperXL

Geneva, Switzerland

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Mar 2017 23:48 #68

• ChopperXL

metz123 wrote: let us know how it feels on the water with a full tank. I'm concerned about listing to the left with the weight of 27 gallons over 1 side of the boat. I think the center console version of the Element has the permanent tank mounted directly in the center of the hull for just this reason. My calculations estimate this as around 170 pounds.

Your calculations are the same as mine.I originally had the the tanks totaling 18 pound so the extra 9 gallons is only about 57 pounds or a little kid-- I don't forsee any issue with listing. Nevertheless, I am taking to the lake for spring break in 2 weeks so I'll let you know how it run full.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 28 Mar 2017 23:59 #69

• ChopperXL

Pegasus_01 wrote: You beat me to it Chopper! Well done mate. That looks a million dollars. I think I might also go for the more expensive look instead of the lowest cost. Especially now that I've put some cool lights inside (see the pics in the Element mods post).
The vent is indeed one of the problems I have been toying with. Your positioning of it below where the mini tower goes looks good but how are you going to tackle watertightness? I was more thinking of having the vent go from the spout up along the main hose into the hull and then back down towards the outboard platform and then sticking out through the hull with a small cover / protection with the opening facing down.

Any view on that?

Nick

Thanks for the kind words!

as for the vent, placing the it was a point of considerable contemplation for me. I wanted the install to look factory and at the same time avoid concerns of water and such. In the end, I felt the location I chose worked best aesthetically, will be the least likely to cause passenger problems, and allowed me to build in a water loop in case water did get into the line it won't enter the tank. Furthermore, I plan to add the sport arch, which will offer some protection. The way we use the boat, other locations are too likely to have a wet kid or dog drip, splash, or get caught on the vent. As for washing down, I plan to simply cover it up. I also chose a vent with two smaller holes and mesh screen to help reduce possible water intrusion.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 29 Mar 2017 01:50 #70

• westkal
  • Thank you received: 18

ChopperXL wrote:

Pegasus_01 wrote: You beat me to it Chopper! Well done mate. That looks a million dollars. I think I might also go for the more expensive look instead of the lowest cost. Especially now that I've put some cool lights inside (see the pics in the Element mods post).

Any view on that?

Nick

Thanks for the kind words!

as for the vent, placing the it was a point of considerable contemplation for me. I wanted the install to look factory and at the same time avoid concerns of water and such. In the end, I felt the location I chose worked best aesthetically, will be the least likely to cause passenger problems, and allowed me to build in a water loop in case water did get into the line it won't enter the tank. Furthermore, I plan to add the sport arch, which will offer some protection. The way we use the boat, other locations are too likely to have a wet kid or dog drip, splash, or get caught on the vent. As for washing down, I plan to simply cover it up. I also chose a vent with two smaller holes and mesh screen to help reduce possible water intrusion.

Chopper, what is a water loop?
Pegasus has a great idea for the vent, Ie no loops, lower places to catch water or fuel, inhibiting the venting process.

Element auxiliary fuel tank 29 Mar 2017 21:24 #71

• greebo
  • Thank you received: 11
I have not noticed any change of trim with 2 US 12 gallon tanks (45 litre) in my XL. If there is any change it's certainly not enough to cause any problems.

Peter Walter-Smith
Riverport of Goolwa, South Australia
2014 Bayliner Element XL
115HP Mercury EFI

Element auxiliary fuel tank 02 Apr 2017 13:22 #72

• tonyglock40
Looks great!!!

Element auxiliary fuel tank 04 Apr 2017 01:43 #73

• mrjeff
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice Job! That is what I'm doing next!

Element auxiliary fuel tank 13 Apr 2017 12:46 #74

• Banana Slug
  • Banana Slug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 22
After 2 seasons, and now beginning a 3rd, I'm still struggling to find a reasonable solution to the fuel tank issue. I'm not near my boat right now, which is an XL, so I can't measure the fuel storage compartment. I've measured it dozens of times so you'd think I would have them memorized. Today I found this tank from Scepter. 24 gallon topside tank. Overall dimensions are 30"L x 18"W x 12.38"H. Length is fine, and height should be fine also. My concern is the 18" width. I want to say that the compartment is no more than 14" wide, but I don't really remember. Product number 10560 at the bottom of the page.

www.sceptermarine.com/marine_fuel_tanks/topside_fuel/

This message has an attachment image.

~Joe
2015 Element XL
Mercury 115

Element auxiliary fuel tank 15 Apr 2017 07:35 #75

• Jasperdog
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey Joe
I'm out tomorrow so I'll measure her up and get back to you.
Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Banana Slug

Bayliner Element XL 2015
Australia
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds