Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: engine compartment sound proofing

engine compartment sound proofing 16 Jul 2012 14:33 #1

  • Bummy
  • Bummy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 30
  • Thank you received: 0
I know there was a thread on this before and I even had a link saved for it, but the link comes up no good
I have searched but still can’t find the info I am looking for.

There was information as to where to purchase double foil sided 1” thick insulation.
I have googled it and keep coming up with links to Dynamat which seems to be way more expensive as I remember the other stuff being.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 175BR

engine compartment sound proofing 16 Jul 2012 16:32 #2

  • boatworkfl
  • boatworkfl's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 7132
  • Thank you received: 352
Look up fisheries supply, sound insulation, mid layer is high density and heavy, foil on one side, very effective.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

engine compartment sound proofing 16 Jul 2012 20:24 #3

  • tbear
  • tbear's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Posts: 946
  • Thank you received: 3
I think Autozone, Pep Boys, etc have a similar product to Dynamat. Rockhead used it in his 195 a few years back. much improvement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

.

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 00:23 #4

  • fish21121
  • fish21121's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 117
  • Thank you received: 10

tbear;703963 wrote: I think Autozone, Pep Boys, etc have a similar product to Dynamat. Rockhead used it in his 195 a few years back. much improvement.


+1.

I think you will find that 1" thick is too much. The most widely available (in auto parts stores) foil-backed felt is about 1/4 in thick. I put on two layers.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/704046=29706-IMG_1345 35x5 200.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jim
2003 175BR

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 00:27 #5

  • Shwane
  • Shwane's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 189
  • Thank you received: 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 02:49 #6

  • kjs
  • kjs's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 5174
  • Thank you received: 373
mine had sound proofing from the factory, did they save there now too? Or did they only do it for the 40th anniversary LS model???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 04:51 #7

  • Macca
  • Macca's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 237
  • Thank you received: 1
You have now got me thinking.

I love the sound of the 4.3ltr V6 thumping away behind us as we go along. At idle I think it is pretty quiet and when you are hopping along the wind and water noise almost covers up any engine noise.

I am not sure if I need/want to add sound proofing?

I will take a lot more notice next time i'm out now mind you.:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tony.
Christchurch, New Zealand.
"Thirsty Merc"
2006 185BR Capri
190hp V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
SX Smart Tabs 60Lb

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 12:29 #8

  • jhenkel
  • jhenkel's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 199
  • Thank you received: 1

Macca;704128 wrote: You have now got me thinking.

I love the sound of the 4.3ltr V6 thumping away behind us as we go along. At idle I think it is pretty quiet and when you are hopping along the wind and water noise almost covers up any engine noise.

I am not sure if I need/want to add sound proofing?

I will take a lot more notice next time i'm out now mind you.:D


Our 3.0L's are notoriously noisy little engines, I think mine sounds like a tractor engine. Not nearly as nice as a V6 or V8. I never minded the 5.0L in my 245 but the 3.0L has me reading all these sound-deadening threads...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doll Finn again
2011 Slate Blue 185br
2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser
2014 Yamaha VXR

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 14:22 #9

  • whitey382
  • whitey382's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 232
  • Thank you received: 1

jhenkel;704172 wrote: Our 3.0L's are notoriously noisy little engines, I think mine sounds like a tractor engine. Not nearly as nice as a V6 or V8. I never minded the 5.0L in my 245 but the 3.0L has me reading all these sound-deadening threads...

if you have the v6 and are only looking for a small improvement in sound deadening and you don't want to spend too much money the Blue Magic Spray rubber would be a good solution. I used it on my 3.0L and I would say it cut sound by about 10%. I was hoping for more like 30%, as people have stated, the 3.0L is a noisy little engine. Might be a good alternative and it comes out looking really nice.PS - If you use the Blue Magic, buy 2 cans. You need to do 2 coats and each can is exactly enough for one thorough coat, I also then extra protected mine with 2000 degree high temp paint to be safe, overkill I know, but thats the way I am

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hockey...? Boating...? Hockey...? Boating...? How bout both... :getsmilie
2004 Bayliner 175xt 3.0 carb
Smartsx Tabs - 40 lbs
14.25" x 19" Pitch 4 blade Prop

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 14:25 #10

  • oldjeep
  • oldjeep's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Posts: 606
  • Thank you received: 0
Strange - the older style ones like my 2005 Classic already come with the insulation. Must have stopped when they went from the wood covers to the fiberglass/plastic covers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chuck P
http://www.oldjeep.com
2005 195 Classic (Gone)
2012 Malibu VTX

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 21:05 #11

  • Macca
  • Macca's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 237
  • Thank you received: 1

whitey382;704209 wrote: if you have the v6 and are only looking for a small improvement in sound deadening and you don't want to spend too much money the Blue Magic Spray rubber would be a good solution. I used it on my 3.0L and I would say it cut sound by about 10%. I was hoping for more like 30%, as people have stated, the 3.0L is a noisy little engine. Might be a good alternative and it comes out looking really nice.PS - If you use the Blue Magic, buy 2 cans. You need to do 2 coats and each can is exactly enough for one thorough coat, I also then extra protected mine with 2000 degree high temp paint to be safe, overkill I know, but thats the way I am

That looks really sharp, I will investigate the Blue stuff to see if I can get it down here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tony.
Christchurch, New Zealand.
"Thirsty Merc"
2006 185BR Capri
190hp V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
SX Smart Tabs 60Lb

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 22:11 #12

  • whitey382
  • whitey382's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 232
  • Thank you received: 1

Macca;704369 wrote: That looks really sharp, I will investigate the Blue stuff to see if I can get it down here.


Amazon ships anywhere i'm sure, just don't know how much it will cost you :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hockey...? Boating...? Hockey...? Boating...? How bout both... :getsmilie
2004 Bayliner 175xt 3.0 carb
Smartsx Tabs - 40 lbs
14.25" x 19" Pitch 4 blade Prop

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 22:31 #13

  • kjs
  • kjs's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 5174
  • Thank you received: 373

whitey382;704209 wrote: I was hoping for more like 30%, as people have stated, the 3.0L is a noisy little engine. Might be a good alternative and it comes out looking really nice.


Looks like you never had an old 2-stroke OB! Compared to my last boat the "new" one just whispers with it's 3.0l. I have to admit, the old wooden box style has a lot of soundproofing in and on it. Fiberglass with close to nothing will naturally vibrate and transfer noise a lot more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

engine compartment sound proofing 17 Jul 2012 22:38 #14

  • tbear
  • tbear's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Posts: 946
  • Thank you received: 3

kjs;704410 wrote: Looks like you never had an old 2-stroke OB! Compared to my last boat the "new" one just whispers with it's 3.0l. I have to admit, the old wooden box style has a lot of soundproofing in and on it. Fiberglass with close to nothing will naturally vibrate and transfer noise a lot more.


Juergen, I have to agree. My old 83 wooden box cover next to Rockhead's new 2007 195 (fiberglass) a few years ago....he was pissed, hence his soundproofing. Pepboys "Dynamat" and some spray adhesive and he was happier. My 83....hard to tell it was running. lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

.
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum