Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rookie Outboard Question

Rookie Outboard Question 10 Jul 2012 01:43 #1

• mumaluke
  • mumaluke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok - so I have not taken the boat out yet. Making sure everything is running good before getting to the water with the family. I have launched many of IOs before, but never an outboard. My question is.....do I put the motor down before I put it in the water? Since I have to lower it manually I can't really come up with a way to lower it once its in the water (unless I get in the water, and thats a whole other phobia :D).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'85 Bayliner Capri
85 HP Force Motor

Rookie Outboard Question 10 Jul 2012 01:57 #2

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
I would wait until you get to the launch ramp to see what your dealing with, there has to be a way to manually drop the motor once in the water. I had a boat with a 50 Merc that I had to do that....a total PITA!

Rookie Outboard Question 10 Jul 2012 04:28 #3

• Bcbayliner
depends what kind of ramp you are launching the boat into. A real steep one is a good one to drop the motor in before it hits the water.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Let's do this

Rookie Outboard Question 10 Jul 2012 04:40 #4

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
On my last boat with OB I couldn't have dropped the engine before launching because it would have hit the ground as the trailer wasn't high enough. Same for my current I/O.
For the ramps I use it would be simple. If the OB doesn't reach the ground when on the trailer I could lower it at the prep area and drive it in as the ramp goes straight down all the way. As soon as the stern "sees water" it will float up so there's no risk the skeg could hit the ground. OK, you have to drive the trailer into the lake until the bow of the boat is well in the water.
Fortunately I had and have power trim.....

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Rookie Outboard Question 10 Jul 2012 21:14 #5

• Macca
  • Thank you received: 1
An 85Hp OB without Power Tilt is strange. That is getting big and heavy to lift up and down.

I had a 40Hp Yamaha and that was bad enough.

If it is designed to manual tilt you should be able to do this from on board after you have launched. You will have to lean over the back and move the locking clip. You normally pull up on the motor then turn a bracket which then allows it to drop into position, you do the reverse to lift.

You would need to do this so the motor is not dragging when you come into shore or the ramp. that could damage your prop or skeg or both.

I would suggest not putting it down before you launch.

Tony.
Christchurch, New Zealand.
"Thirsty Merc"
2006 185BR Capri
190hp V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
SX Smart Tabs 60Lb

Rookie Outboard Question 18 Jul 2012 01:45 #6

• BlkY2k
Ive got one of these and use it on my 50hp. They work sweet, like lifting a 10hp.

http://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Outboard-Motor-Tilter/dm/cart_id.100966037--session_id.959726796--view_id.38002

Rookie Outboard Question 18 Jul 2012 08:31 #7

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53

BlkY2k;704487 wrote: Ive got one of these and use it on my 50hp. They work sweet, like lifting a 10hp.

http://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Outboard-Motor-Tilter/dm/cart_id.100966037--session_id.959726796--view_id.38002

That 85hp Force is a heavy motor and the engine cowl/cover is fiberglass or composite. That lever would most likely break that cover in short order.

The 85 hp force I have has a tilt/trim system and I believe they all do. Yours may not work but it should have one. I always lift my motor to its fullest height remove the stop/rest bar and leave the motor fully up until it's in the water.
You just never know how the ramp falls off under the water.:arr

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds